Cadac Safari Chef or Grillo Chef 2?

Jun 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi there,
We are a family of four (children aged 8 and 6), new to caravanning. We need to buy a portable grill/bbq and have been advised by many to go for a Cadac but are torn between two models, the smaller Safari Chef or medium sized Grillo.
Can anyone advise which they prefer? Is the Safari chef a practical size for four people, it seems a little small to me?
Thanks in advance!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've got a Cadac Safari Chef and I'd suggest that it's on the small side for 4 people.
I have no experience of the Grillo, but if it's bigger than the Safari Chef, that's what I'd go for.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
P.S. the Safari Chef is compact for storage but it either has to stand on a small table or it's very low to the ground.
The Grillo appears to have a full sized stand.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We use the Grillo Chef with the 37 cm plate. It’s fine for four people although at times it struggles under my wife’s gauging of human nutritional needs. Heaven knows what she will do when we are all plant based. But seriously it has done us fine, we use it at home too.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you fancy a go at pizzas on it the circular stone for the safair chef is only 25cm, as we had been thinking of adding one to our cooking kit but changed our minds when seeing the actual size. The Grillo is larger in diameter as you describe and therefore will have a practical sized pizza stone. If buying as an extra have a look at Blacks or Millets that may be cheap!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We bought a Safari Chef in 2015 for our first trip to the continent as davcie given is that many sites do not allow charcoal BBQs. We found out later to our cost that this was not true.
We have used it twice and it has been consigned to the garage. Will be selling it in the near future. Can't even cook a decent size steak on it for one person never mind 4. Also prefer the charcoal BBQ as a better flavour to the meat.

Jun 14, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for your replies everyone. Sounds like the Grillo chef will be the right one for us then - Have seen the Carri chef but think that's just a little too big. And will definitely be getting a pizza stone! Thanks again.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use the Grillo Chef but do tend to have a few people round at a time so size is important to us. What you need depends on the number you want to feed rather than anything else.
If you are in the CAMH they often have a very good deal on them.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest watching each model in use on youtube and then decide what is big enough. Sometimes the pictures are misleading and where a grddle looks a decent size, put a sausage on it and suddenly it is a lot smaller than it looked.

There are a lot of Cadac videos on youtube and you can pick up some great tips and recipes.

Reactions: Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts