Caen to Les Sables d'Olonne

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone advise please? We are travelling this route in a couple of weeks time but haven't been in this area for about 20 years. Our map shows a toll road for large parts of the way. Is it worth taking and does the time saving outweigh any cost? We won't have the van as it takes too long to get from the north of Scotland to the south coast for a ferry.

Thanks in advance for any help.

April

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Caen towards Avaranches,Rennes then to Nantes. The toll section doesn't start till just south of Nantes, I can't remember exactly how much it cost but it certainly wasn't a fortune. That would certainly be my route.

Robert

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Robert

We've only been to Brittany in the last 20 years so didn't come across toll roads. We thought that we'd go a bit further south this time since it's much later than we usually go.

April

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the route, very straightforward and short stretch of toll road south of Nantes. We've just returned from the same journey and the toll with a van in tow was about 2.7 Euro. I used a route using Michelin which I would recommend over the RAC or AA route finders.

Have a great holiday

Jackie

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
we are off to a friends farm in brittany this week. im setting off early hours of thursday for our trip from manchester to portsmouth then on to the 08:00 brittany ferries sailing to caen. ive done this trip quite a few times now and its a really easy and pleasant tow.

if anybody else is on this sailing then come and say hello, we are in the silver ford galaxy with a coachman vip530 on tow.

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

returned from La Tranche which is further down than Les sables this morning at 1.30am. Sat nav took us from Caen to Rennes then Nantes and then through La Roche. We did hit part of the autoroute but it cost 2.7 euros and this was the last part. I did look at a route on Via Michelin-but this used a lot of the autoroute. Took a wrong turning in Caen and then just switched on sat nav. To la Tranche from Caen it took just over 6 hours with a caravan at a steady 55mph.

We had 14 days of sun. Got up this morning to heavy rain.

If you need any more info just ask.

Steve

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

returned from La Tranche which is further down than Les sables this morning at 1.30am. Sat nav took us from Caen to Rennes then Nantes and then through La Roche. We did hit part of the autoroute but it cost 2.7 euros and this was the last part. I did look at a route on Via Michelin-but this used a lot of the autoroute. Took a wrong turning in Caen and then just switched on sat nav. To la Tranche from Caen it took just over 6 hours with a caravan at a steady 55mph.

We had 14 days of sun. Got up this morning to heavy rain.

If you need any more info just ask.

Steve

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
We came back that way with our caravan last year April. Mostly we just looked at a good road map and picked the route but we found the google and michelin maps and directions very good. Let me say that we were back over the Channel this year with our new Tom Tom sat nav and found it great. You can choose non payment routes.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone

I've been too busy ironing and packing to look at the forum for the last couple of days. We don't have sat nav but usually mark the route on maps with highlighter pen. We're not too bothered by the weather, last time we were in Brittany in June 2007 it rained at some time everyday of our fortnight but we pack for every season so we were warm and dry.

Ice maker, I think that's the sailing we're on. You never know, we may cross paths. I'm the one with the dodgy walk ,a walking stick and a silver Subaru Forester. How lucky you are to have to have a friend living in Brittany.

One more sleep!

April

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts