Calais at night

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did see in the paper that there were major problems on the motorway approach to Calais at night and this was confirmed by a news report on the TV. It appears that that people smugglers are blocking the road and are armed. The idea seems to be to get people onto lorries but motorists are being caught up in this and one man had his car badly damaged. It does mean that arriving in the dark can be very dangerous and should be avoided.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Saw the news report with the film of the road blocked by branches and with the masked and armed men in attendance. I had read reports on this a couple of weeks back but until viewing the film footage wasn't convinced it was actually going on.

On a similar note in our local newspaper there was a story, complete with photograph of damage done to a local haulage firm's new HGV unit. Seems he had been forced to stop at one of these road blocks and then his vehicle had been struck by another HGV which was trying to negotiate the blockage. Seems it isn't an isolated incident. Just a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or worse I fear.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If everyone is convinced that this is current news, then boycott Calais by all means, and consider it dangerous. It will (hopefully) make more room on the ferries, and perhaps eventually bring down prices for those of us who still intend to use it as our preferred port of entry and exit.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
The filming was carried out by BBC South East on Wednesday night,so, yes, I would consider current news.
The footage is still on the BBC News website if anyone hasn't seen it and is interested in viewing. I certainly don't suggest Calais should be boycotted but see no harm in alerting anyone considering driving in that area overnight to the possibility of this type of incident. People can make their own choice then with regard to travel times and routes.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the best bet is to arrive in the area during the day. We saw nothing on our way to Guines to campsite or on our way to Calais in the morning in June.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am in Montreuil sur mer , fontains les Clercs, and yesterday was the blockade of the A16. By Truckers and Local farmers.DFDS , gave an alternate route, I have a friend coming back from Holland tonight and shall post tomorow if the road was clear, I am travelling by Dunkirke. 20.00. And going across country and to St Omer and up to Dunkirke.
Try and post tomorrow.
Hutch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday, durig the day, no problems on the A16, a friend drove into Holland and back with no road blockages so hopefully today will be the same for me going to Dunkirke.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Can't comment about night travel, but we've just come back from camping la Chaumiere near St. Omer through Dunkirk at midday and saw no signs of trouble. Nor did we when we went over two weeks ago. In fact, we've never seen any problems in over twelve years of using that route!
Dutch friends staying with us on site wanted to see for themselves, so visited Dunkirk last Wednesday, and then Calais on Thursday, and reported having a great day out on both occasions, without any sign of trouble.
I'm not saying there isn't a problem; there obviously is, and I fully support the lorry drivers action last week, but please don't let it spoil your holiday! Campsites around the ports are reporting a poor season, mainly I suppose down to the problems.If this continues, then the terrorists ( cos this is what they are!) have won.
We've crossed through Dunkirk and back twice this year, and fully intend to do so next year.
Rule Britannia!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We travelled back through Dunkirk, wednesday ferry 20.00 not a problem, large police precence near to Calais. But no problems. Lets face it, lockmup and keep going. Two dogs and a driver who needs a beer. BU---ER ORFT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts