Calling all Coachman VIP owners!

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm just researching a feature for our Used Caravan Buyer guide and was wondering if I could pick your collective brains...

I'm after information from anyone who owns a Coachman VIP dating from the years 2002 to 2007.

What I want to know is what works well and, crucially, what doesn't. So if you have experience of any faults or things that you think could be improved on, I'd like to hear about them.

Essentially the info will be used as a guide to other buyers. If you think a prospective buyer would benefit from the info, please pass it on.

Thanks for your help, looking forward to hearing the good and the bad,

Mark.

Mark Bigault

Features editor

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
Mark,I have no experience of the VIP but until recently I owned an Amara(2003 model). I was also a member of the Coachman Owners Club so came across several owners of VIPs. Would be happy to help if I can.

As with any Coachman my experience was it was an excellent caravan. Only problems related to lengthy delays in getting parts and the high cost of some of them for what they were (then again my experience is this affects most caravan brands)

Nigel.

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
Mark,I have no experience of the VIP but until recently I owned an Amara(2003 model). I was also a member of the Coachman Owners Club so came across several owners of VIPs. Would be happy to help if I can.

As with any Coachman my experience was it was an excellent caravan. Only problems related to lengthy delays in getting parts and the high cost of some of them for what they were (then again my experience is this affects most caravan brands)

Nigel.
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the reply. Are you still in touch with the VIP owners from the owners club?

If so, I'm very interested in their thought about their vans.

Or if you could provide me with their email addresses that'd be a great help, too.

Thanks again,

Mark Bigault

Features editor

Oct 25, 2006
Visit site
In response to request, purchased new in May 2007 a VIP 460/2. Our first caravan ever.

In the nearly two years of ownership no problems whatsoever. Each time we go into the van we feel extremely pleased with the look, quality and all its bits and bobs. Certainly recommend a Coachman without any hesitation.

Being really, really picky if there were room for any improvements it would be in the following areas: 1) nothing wrong at all but it would be nice to have a proper handle on the bathroom door instead of the 'push latch', 2) This has been incorportaed on the current models and we have had one retro fitted, is an external point for fixing a TV arial as opposed to threading through the open window when on booster sites.

We have also had the van 'replated' with an additional 50kg for additional payload raising it to 1470kg.

Finally to give us and our then two bearded collies absolute luxury contrary to advise from Isabella that it would not fit this particular van, a 2007 Magnum portch awning.

We have travelled just over 5000 miles with the van in the two years and visited some fifteen Caravan Club sites.

Tow with an X-Trail 2.2DCi Columbia 56 plate,; second X-Trail.

Hope this helps and would be pleased to answer any further questions.

I have absolutely no connection whatsoever with Coachman but think these are brilliant vans.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
sorry mark ive been away in our vip to france for a week so ive only just seen this thread.

youve possibly allready noticed that i am an avid coachman purchaser and will no longer consider any other make as experiance has shown me that no other manufacturer can get close to the quality and reliability of a coachman.

to date ive had a pastiche 520/4 a vip 520/4 a laser 590/4 and my van at the moment is a 2007 vip 530/4, not one of the vans has at any time given me any problems and that is the absolute truth, sorry the hartle door lock on this van has been a problem as it has with all manufacturers but it has been replaced and is fine now.

the van we currently have has travelled around 10.000 miles now and we use it every 3 weeks throughout the year, weve been away in temperatures ranging from nearly 30 degrees in france down to -11 degrees once in the lakes and the van coped very well. the heating is just about right for the size of van and it was our choice not to have ac fitted as we only used it once on the laser so its a lot of weight for little benefit.

in our van we do miss the end bathroom but we had to compromise as we did not want another twin axle but we did want the fixed bed, the bathroom functions well but having had so many end bathroom vans we do miss the space, other than space the toilet and shower have been faultless.

the kitchen area is very good, plenty of workspace a decent sized sink and proper cooker which we do use on occasions, the thetford fridge has allso been faultless allthough one annoying thing was during last weeks trip to france we stayed on a friends farm and every time they put on theire clothes dryer our fridge showed fault code 8 which is apparently low voltage ? it wasnt really a peoblem but seemed strange as our tv and satelight system had no problems with voltage drop.

round to the living area, all the upholsery and wood work is still like new despite its heavy use allthough we do take very good care of our vans, all the lighting is still working and all the sockets etc are fine and logically placed.

out side the van i polish the exterior 2 times per year so as you would expect the paint work is as good as the day we purchased the van no decals have fallen off or even faded and we have no signs of cracks on either the front or rear panels, all the grab handles are still firm and the running gear and hitch have been faultless. we did have the hydraulic front locker stay come off once due to me pulling it a bit hard but this was easily fixed and hasnt failled since.

i really am struggling to find any faults at all with this van and if i had to name anything it would only be the location of the hot water heater and drain taps, they are under the rear bed in the offside corner and not very easy to get to so the tank can be drained, double joints would be a bonus but just placing the drain taps nearer to the locker door would be easier.

we intend keeping this van at least another year, and this year we intend to do around 5 to 8 thousand miles with it on tow so it has its work cut out but we have no worries what so ever that this van is capable of such heavy use.

if you require any further info then please dont hesitate to contact me at all though you will have to use the forum as my email address that is registered with you is no longer in use and im not sure how to change it.

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
In response to request, purchased new in May 2007 a VIP 460/2. Our first caravan ever.

In the nearly two years of ownership no problems whatsoever. Each time we go into the van we feel extremely pleased with the look, quality and all its bits and bobs. Certainly recommend a Coachman without any hesitation.

Being really, really picky if there were room for any improvements it would be in the following areas: 1) nothing wrong at all but it would be nice to have a proper handle on the bathroom door instead of the 'push latch', 2) This has been incorportaed on the current models and we have had one retro fitted, is an external point for fixing a TV arial as opposed to threading through the open window when on booster sites.

We have also had the van 'replated' with an additional 50kg for additional payload raising it to 1470kg.

Finally to give us and our then two bearded collies absolute luxury contrary to advise from Isabella that it would not fit this particular van, a 2007 Magnum portch awning.

We have travelled just over 5000 miles with the van in the two years and visited some fifteen Caravan Club sites.

Tow with an X-Trail 2.2DCi Columbia 56 plate,; second X-Trail.

Hope this helps and would be pleased to answer any further questions.

I have absolutely no connection whatsoever with Coachman but think these are brilliant vans.
Hi Bernard,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Everybody i speak to says pretty much the same - Coachmans are top-quality vans. Thanks for the details answer all the same,

Best,

Mark Bigault

Featured editor

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
sorry mark ive been away in our vip to france for a week so ive only just seen this thread.

youve possibly allready noticed that i am an avid coachman purchaser and will no longer consider any other make as experiance has shown me that no other manufacturer can get close to the quality and reliability of a coachman.

to date ive had a pastiche 520/4 a vip 520/4 a laser 590/4 and my van at the moment is a 2007 vip 530/4, not one of the vans has at any time given me any problems and that is the absolute truth, sorry the hartle door lock on this van has been a problem as it has with all manufacturers but it has been replaced and is fine now.

the van we currently have has travelled around 10.000 miles now and we use it every 3 weeks throughout the year, weve been away in temperatures ranging from nearly 30 degrees in france down to -11 degrees once in the lakes and the van coped very well. the heating is just about right for the size of van and it was our choice not to have ac fitted as we only used it once on the laser so its a lot of weight for little benefit.

in our van we do miss the end bathroom but we had to compromise as we did not want another twin axle but we did want the fixed bed, the bathroom functions well but having had so many end bathroom vans we do miss the space, other than space the toilet and shower have been faultless.

the kitchen area is very good, plenty of workspace a decent sized sink and proper cooker which we do use on occasions, the thetford fridge has allso been faultless allthough one annoying thing was during last weeks trip to france we stayed on a friends farm and every time they put on theire clothes dryer our fridge showed fault code 8 which is apparently low voltage ? it wasnt really a peoblem but seemed strange as our tv and satelight system had no problems with voltage drop.

round to the living area, all the upholsery and wood work is still like new despite its heavy use allthough we do take very good care of our vans, all the lighting is still working and all the sockets etc are fine and logically placed.

out side the van i polish the exterior 2 times per year so as you would expect the paint work is as good as the day we purchased the van no decals have fallen off or even faded and we have no signs of cracks on either the front or rear panels, all the grab handles are still firm and the running gear and hitch have been faultless. we did have the hydraulic front locker stay come off once due to me pulling it a bit hard but this was easily fixed and hasnt failled since.

i really am struggling to find any faults at all with this van and if i had to name anything it would only be the location of the hot water heater and drain taps, they are under the rear bed in the offside corner and not very easy to get to so the tank can be drained, double joints would be a bonus but just placing the drain taps nearer to the locker door would be easier.

we intend keeping this van at least another year, and this year we intend to do around 5 to 8 thousand miles with it on tow so it has its work cut out but we have no worries what so ever that this van is capable of such heavy use.

if you require any further info then please dont hesitate to contact me at all though you will have to use the forum as my email address that is registered with you is no longer in use and im not sure how to change it.
Wow, fantastically detailed reply, thanks so much for your time. As with most other people, your report on the high-quality and craftsmanship rings true.

But thanks for the other pointers about polishing and drainage. All very useful.

Hope it continues to perform so well for you,

All the best,

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts