Calor Gas Prices

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I was looking at some energy prices today and the average selling prices were listed. Domestic gas around 34p per kWh, bottled propane price was around 10 times that!
However with the huge increase in the price of electric many sites will probably install metering which will come at a cost. Using gas for hot water and the fridge may be a better option. Unfortunately using ags for heating may not be an option as you wil use approximately 6kgs on gas in 3 -4 days if you are not careful. BTW our fridge seems to work better on gas than electric and cools down quicker.
Calor Propane is currently almost 10 times the price per kWh of domestic gas, and around double the price per kWh of domestic electricity.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the UK the competition authorities define a legal Monopoly as a firm holding over 25% power within a market.
I don't know the figures, but I suspect Calor does not have 25% of the LPG market. In terms of who supplies LPG there are some very big commercial players who supply in bulk. and there are a surprising number of smaller retailers offering alternate predominantly Propane brands. Calor may have a larger share of the leisure market, but that does not constitute a whole market monopoly.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It is reasonable to state Calor have a monopoly of the LPG market as far as this Forum is concerned. We are caravanners and need a consistent supply U.K. wide. The other providers won’t work for me.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is reasonable to state Calor have a monopoly of the LPG market as far as this Forum is concerned. We are caravanners and need a consistent supply U.K. wide. The other providers won’t work for me.
One thing most other providers do is accept each other’s steel bottles for exchange. But Calor will not, and Flogas doesn’t accept Calor, but will accept others.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
One thing most other providers do is accept each other’s steel bottles for exchange. But Calor will not, and Flogas doesn’t accept Calor, but will accept others.

This LINK provides a listing of the range of the bottles Flo-gas accept, it's pretty comprehensive.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at some energy prices today and the average selling prices were listed. Domestic gas around 34p per kWh, bottled propane price was around 10 times that!

Calor Propane is currently almost 10 times the price per kWh of domestic gas, and around double the price per kWh of domestic electricity.
Bottled gas is always going to be far more expensive because of the cost of suppling and handling the bottles and the more complex distribution system it requires.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the prices of the Flogas, lite, a 6 kg is more expensive than Calor. The steel is about the same price.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Looking at the prices of the Flogas, lite, a 6 kg is more expensive than Calor. The steel is about the same price.

What "Flo gas lite 6 kg", there is a Gaslight 5 kg, so if that's more expensive it makes it even worse relative to Calor's price per kg, at the 6 kg size.

As I said earlier in respect to the Gaslight 10 kg, the pricing has now gone "stupid".

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What "Flo gas lite 6 kg", there is a Gaslight 5 kg, so if that's more expensive it makes it even worse relative to Calor's price per kg, at the 6 kg size.

As I said earlier in respect to the Gaslight 10 kg, the pricing has now gone "stupid".
The gas lights always attracted a even when marketed by BP. Similarly with Flogas. But the real comparator has to be steel cylinders with equivalent gas weights.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The gas lights always attracted a even when marketed by BP. Similarly with Flogas. But the real comparator has to be steel cylinders with equivalent gas weights.

Which, with Gaslights and Flo-gas steels there is no "equivalent gas weights".

Not long back I was purchasing 10 kg Gaslight exchanges, on account at £28, last purchase from an independent was £38, which at that time from Flo gas was £46, today it's asking £49.95.

The 11 kgs steels earlier in the summer were £36, more recently one was £38.50 again from a reseller.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Which, with Gaslights and Flo-gas steels there is no "equivalent gas weights".

Not long back I was purchasing 10 kg Gaslight exchanges, on account at £28, last purchase from an independent was £38, which at that time from Flo gas was £46, today it's asking £49.95.

The 11 kgs steels earlier in the summer were £36, more recently one was £38.50 again from a reseller.
Sorry but what I meant to highlight was is there a price difference for propane between Calor, Flogas and any other non Calor supplier based on equivalent gas weight in steel cylinders. Gaslight have generally been more expensive per kg and I know there is no direct equivalent.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So basically, the Calor is the lowest in cost unless you can refill at a fuel station with LPG. Which are getting fewer in numbers.
You can see the rich people , they use Camping Gaz. ( wow thats costly. )

Reactions: Dustydog and RogerL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts