Calor Lite Recall IMPORTANT...PLEASE READ

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
sgtangel said:
I replaced a standard 6kg with a calor lite FOC at Calor Glasgow. No paperwork = no problem. There is quite a noticeable reduction in weight, so I`m pleased.

I was also advised that the lite was being phased out of production, but the existing stock would be present for some time

Was that at the Kilbirnie Street depot ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My Local depot in Bedford says they hqve no problems getting the calor lite, but now have problems getting the heavyweight, as folk not giving them back in, you can't win.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
My Local depot in Bedford says they hqve no problems getting the calor lite, but now have problems getting the heavyweight, as folk not giving them back in, you can't win.

Had the same story from Kimberley caravans.

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Anseo said:
sgtangel said:
I replaced a standard 6kg with a calor lite FOC at Calor Glasgow. No paperwork = no problem. There is quite a noticeable reduction in weight, so I`m pleased.

I was also advised that the lite was being phased out of production, but the existing stock would be present for some time

Was that at the Kilbirnie Street depot ?

sorry for the delay - I was nightshift....

Yes, Kilbirnie Street - they were very helpful

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks sgtangel,

Changed my almost empty (still in tears that I had not sucked the last gasp out of the cylinder - a jock thing - hope you can commiserate) at Kilbirnie Street. today.

Phoned Calor (Kilbirnie Street) yesterday to be told I had to have an empty 6kg steel or Lite in order to purchase a filled Lite.

Phoned another Calor stockist, DeWaldens Ayrshire and was told the same.

I now find that Calor (Kilbirnie Street) have in their exchange policy booklet for staff guidance, a reference to 7kg Butane bottles being acceptable for propane 6kg gas-lite exchanges.

So happens I have a 7kg Butane empty, hoping to exchange for a 6kg propane lite tomorrow.

It all seems so difficult with Calor, ever changing parameters for gas purchases, not as if they are not a very profitable business, guess customers are the very most bottom line.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Exchanged my 7kg empty butane for a 6kg Calor-Lite today.

2 full lites in my stock now, along with the hardly used 13.5kg installed in the caravan gas locker.

Cost difference is (IMO) significant, 13.5 kg = £30.00.
2X 6kg lites = £49.00

Approx, £23.00 more expensive for gas if using Lites. :blink:

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Anseo,

The reason for the price difference between a 13.5kg and two 6kgs is because you are being charged for the refill. With a 13.5kg you are paying for one refill, whereas with two 6kgs they will need to charge you twice. The price of the actual gas is the same.
Regards,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anseo said:
Exchanged my 7kg empty butane for a 6kg Calor-Lite today.

2 full lites in my stock now, along with the hardly used 13.5kg installed in the caravan gas locker.

Cost difference is (IMO) significant, 13.5 kg = £30.00.
2X 6kg lites = £49.00

Approx, £23.00 more expensive for gas if using Lites. :blink:

Hello Anseo,

I know I've had a rough night and my brain may not be fully engaged, but I've read your post several times and I can't follow the figures you have given. Where does your 13.5 kg bottle come from? From memory No supplier I'm aware of offered that size.

As for the cost of refills, it's common retail practice for smaller packs to cost disprortionately more. There is no fixed price for a calorie Gas refil, it's up to the retailer to decide what to charge, but Calor do suggest a retail price.

Calor rely heavily on the contract you have with them, and the fact you only rent the cylinder you never own it, so once hooked, you tend to stay with them. This allows Calor to charge a premium price for their refills.

There are several other supplies whose gas price is a lot keener than Calors. But they won't refil Calor cylinders.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Any "intel" yet on when, or if, Calor will introduce a replacement for the Calorlite. It was supposed to be announced for Spring 2019. I suspect that things will drift until Calorlie become a rarity and are then withdrawn from the market, and no replacement will appear. Oh well what's another 3-4kg on noseweight eh?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I currently have one full and one empty Calorlite, and ringing around the local caravan dealers for a refill for the empty, I am told there are none at all available. Whether that is countrywide or just locally, I have no idea.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have been riging round all morning, even the small stockists and builders yards and I cant get a lte for love nor money. Looks like Im finally going back to steel.

Does anyone know whether the smaller 3.9kg will fit securely in the brackets and straps in the front boxes. My thoughts are going towards one 6kg steel and a smaller reserve of 3.9.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Last year I was told by the Calor gas agent in the village that the Calorlite bottle were only being allowed to be stocked by caravan dealers or Calor main depots, or the caravan club sites. Ie Camc and Cac .
Thingy I had the same thought then found the weight of a 3.9kg was the same as a Calor light. So I get my lite bottles from the main dealer.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I have seen a report in one of the magazines that Calor are no longer going to do a replacement for the Lite as they do not sell enough to make it financially viable.
We will just have to make do with the heavy bottles

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Oh damnation. I was stopped in a lay bay north of Moreton in Marsh yesterday and deep within the bushes spotted a BP Gaslight cylinder. I retrieved it and as it was totally empty put it in the car. What surprised me was it held 10 kg propane yet the empty cylinder was so light even compared to a 6 kg empty Calorlite.
It now resides at a Leicestershire recycling depot :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
Oh damnation. I was stopped in a lay bay north of Moreton in Marsh yesterday and deep within the bushes spotted a BP Gaslight cylinder. I retrieved it and as it was totally empty put it in the car. What surprised me was it held 10 kg propane yet the empty cylinder was so light even compared to a 6 kg empty Calorlite.

You could have taken it to a calor dealer and recieved £7 from them, Calor will refund £7 for any returned gas bottle with or without an original contract form. At the last Spring Woosiefest I managed to change an empty, Calor lite for a full one, the main dealers will still replace them for full lite ones, for now anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:

You could have taken it to a calor dealer and recieved £7 from them, Calor will refund £7 for any returned gas bottle with or without an original contract form. At the last Spring Woosiefest I managed to change an empty, Calor lite for a full one, the main dealers will still replace them for full lite ones, for now anyway.

But it was a BP
Gaslight composite cylinder and BP have ceased production and support. Now taken over by Flogas but very limited availability otherwise would have kept it or sold it on EBAY.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:

But it was a BP
Gaslight composite cylinder and BP have ceased production and support. Now taken over by Flogas but very limited availability otherwise would have kept it or sold it on EBAY.

Sorry OC, misread the post, grey cells multiplying, due to looking after 5 dogs this weekend, Mayhem.

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Can someone the going rate for an almost full calor-lite bottle? I've got one that is now surplus. It's been used for testing the heating when we first got the van and perhaps 3 kettles full of water. With all the deposits, rentals, refills etc, not easy to work out a fair price for one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark31415 said:
Can someone the going rate for an almost full calor-lite bottle? I've got one that is now surplus. It's been used for testing the heating when we first got the van and perhaps 3 kettles full of water. With all the deposits, rentals, refills etc, not easy to work out a fair price for one.

You can work out how much gas remains in the bottle by weighing it and subtarcting the tare weight which is stamped on the bottle.

As for selling it, if its is A Calor Gas bottle, you can only sell the gas not the bottle which is the sole property of Calor gas. You have no legal right to sell the container as its only rented from Calor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts