CAMC Club, Carnon Downs, Truro, Cornwall

Jun 9, 2023
Visit site
Hi all.

Just back from a very pleasant 13 nights at this site.

Lovely site and well maintained. Toilet blocks immaculate.

Traveling to site this far away, 540 miles in our case is risky, but we were not disappointed.

Could have stayed a lot longer.

Various food vendors visit site Monday- Friday evenings, which is great and gives the home cooking a rest. Its a holiday after all.

Pitches are huge.

Despite the roadworks, to everywhere it seemed, we had a great time.

We booked a fully serviced pitch, which, TBH, was not great, for a silly reason.

The Grey waste pipe has to go over a single course of brick surrounding the drain. Bit annoying as unless you do some engineering, it wont flow from van to drain.

Going to contact the CAMC to suggest a bricky gets his hammer out. To my mind, serviced means fit and forget.

Apart from that, I will definitely go here again.

4.9 / 5

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Grey waste pipe has to go over a single course of brick surrounding the drain. Bit annoying as unless you do some engineering, it wont flow from van to drain.

Going to contact the CAMC to suggest a bricky gets his hammer out. To my mind, serviced means fit and forget.
Seems to be a common thing on CAMC fully serviced pitches. Admittedly we have only used two CAMC sites in the past several years, Bridport and another by Stoke Gabriel. In both cases the drain water had to flow uphill!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We used to regularly visit Cranon Downs pre club ownership and agree with the OP comments, ref the drain, we use rigid pipe work and it is easy to arrange downward flow to the drain on the pitches we used.

Not going in August due to price, going to commercial site in Lake District instead saving over £200

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
We spent a Christmas there ten years ago. Great place and a good dog walk. Yes the drains weren’t the best but that’s why we carry these with us.
We carry the same pegs and had to use them for the first time last week,
Not good on our hard standing pitch, it was just that HARD, bent two of the pegs trying to get them in!!
Why are people so thick...............lets put the drain up hill, not rocket science is it, beats me. Rant over
Had a great time though (y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We spent a Christmas there ten years ago. Great place and a good dog walk. Yes the drains weren’t the best but that’s why we carry these with us.
I am pretty sure that after visiting Bridport that is the reason why we invested in those pegs many years ago. However due to the slope of the pitch not sure if they would have helped.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am pretty sure that after visiting Bridport that is the reason why we invested in those pegs many years ago. However due to the slope of the pitch not sure if they would have helped.
I’ve also seen the ones that act like straps fitted into the lower awning rail with velcro wrapped round the pipe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Coincidence that both were commercial sites bought by CAMC, Dornafield shares taps /drain points between pitches I think,so where the ground slopes one will be draining downhill and one uphill

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Coincidence that both were commercial sites bought by CAMC, Dornafield shares taps /drain points between pitches I think,so where the ground slopes one will be draining downhill and one uphill
I detest sites that have shared water points as often the bollard is between the two pitches and if you do not have an extension water pipe, you are paying for services you cannot use. Penny pinching management!

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi all.

Just back from a very pleasant 13 nights at this site.

Lovely site and well maintained. Toilet blocks immaculate.

Traveling to site this far away, 540 miles in our case is risky, but we were not disappointed.

Could have stayed a lot longer.

Various food vendors visit site Monday- Friday evenings, which is great and gives the home cooking a rest. Its a holiday after all.

Pitches are huge.

Despite the roadworks, to everywhere it seemed, we had a great time.

We booked a fully serviced pitch, which, TBH, was not great, for a silly reason.

Apart from that, I will definitely go here again.

4.9 / 5
I use a "boat shower pump box". The waste water from the caravan drains into the box. When water in the box reaches a certain level the pump will pump the water uphill. I use 19mm washing machine waste water hose from the box to the drain.

• Wow
Reactions: Gagakev
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I use a "boat shower pump box". The waste water from the caravan drains into the box. When water in the box reaches a certain level the pump will pump the water uphill. I use 19mm washing machine waste water hose from the box to the drain.
A great idea, but too much, to over come a waste water problem for a week.
Great for a permanent site.

Reactions: Gagakev

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts