CAMC price increases.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
An email from the Club informs me of a small price increase per pitch for all the usual reasons. It doesn’t say hoŵ much. Anyway know the true extent of the increase?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
They quote a 'small' increase, but 'small' is subjective. To someone living in the SE with a big car and a big van (for two and the dogs!) a couple of quid on a pitch and a pound per person would be laughed at - after all its only the price of a pint. Is it? In other parts of the country it is nearly the price of two pints and for someone using a caravan as a means of a relatively cheap holiday four quid plus a bit more for the kids can be expensive.

Oh, and where are the CMC located? The SE of course. As I said, its all relative.

I rest my case M'lud.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
prompts some interesting thoughts -
When paying for electricity on a pitch what value of power do I actually use? Although I appreciate that some of the cost is recouping the cost of installation and maintenance. I note some sites now advertise metered usage.
Also you generally pay extra for hardstanding pitches that once installed maybe cost less to maintain over the season than grass?
Just in the process of replacing the car which of course is larger than general need so that I can tow with comfort and safety, add to this the cost of service, insurance and depreciation on the van, the new tyres and battery I installed last year.. etc.... maybe the expenditure on pitch fees becomes only a small percentage of the total package!

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Hardly ever use them-Think they are vastly overpriced already without any further increases.
For us it's just convenience for somewhere, CLs & Red Pennant/Home insurance that makes it worth the Membership fee
Mike

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
They quote a 'small' increase, but 'small' is subjective. To someone living in the SE with a big car and a big van (for two and the dogs!) a couple of quid on a pitch and a pound per person would be laughed at - after all its only the price of a pint. Is it? In other parts of the country it is nearly the price of two pints and for someone using a caravan as a means of a relatively cheap holiday four quid plus a bit more for the kids can be expensive.

Oh, and where are the CMC located? The SE of course. As I said, its all relative.

I rest my case M'lud.

So when I’m in the northern counties sites all those big cars, big caravans and nice motorhomes have all travelled up the M1 or M6 from Surrey. The facts tend to be that cost of living in the north is less than the SE that’s why they can afford to enjoy their residual income. Please no more of the northern stereotypes. Clogs disappeared a few years ago. :whistle:

Reactions: suzanne404
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
otherclive said:
Woodentop said:

I rest my case M'lud.

So when I’m in the northern counties sites all those big cars, big caravans and nice motorhomes have all travelled up the M1 or M6 from Surrey. The facts tend to be that cost of living in the north is less than the SE that’s why they can afford to enjoy their residual income. Please no more of the northern stereotypes. Clogs disappeared a few years ago. :whistle:

I think you have misunderstood. What I was alluding to is that generally speaking in the SE salaries are higher and people have more disposable income, ergo a 'small increase' has different meanings depending where you live.

Anyway it is looking like £1 or so per person and about 70p or so per pitch, or in some cases around 17% for the pitch and 19% for the person - it is not a fixed amount across the board it seems.

Given that inflation is well less than 5% how can they justify such increases?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
otherclive said:
Woodentop said:

I rest my case M'lud.

I think you have misunderstood. What I was alluding to is that generally speaking in the SE salaries are higher and people have more disposable income, ergo a 'small increase' has different meanings depending where you live.

Anyway it is looking like £1 or so per person and about 70p or so per pitch, or in some cases around 17% for the pitch and 19% for the person - it is not a fixed amount across the board it seems.

Given that inflation is well less than 5% how can they justify such increases?

Inflation rate whether CPI or RPI consists of many inputs not just the price of caravan pitches and the services to them. It will be interesting to see how the CMHC present their case for the increases. But factors such as utilities, Working Week Directive, Minimum wage, Environmental disposal costs, maintenance support contracts etc will all affect the
running costs of a site. But also are all these new features such as glamping units actually making a return on investments? Did I not read somewhere that nights booked this last year had been down? Be nice to see the AGM report when its issued. Of course though unless you keep an eye on private sites you really dont know what price increases they may put on. I suspect that they may mirror to some extent the two Clubs but making sure that they can still attract the customers.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maybe the inhouse CMC "Caravan Cover" which is not an insurance policy and is not regulated as an insurance company has had more claims than expected and they need to recoup the money from somewhere? :p

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Clifford_374377114 said:
I think the increase is really to pay for another unnecessary rebranding!!
Cliff

I guess we all could come up with many such reasons where the CAMC has thrown away money i.e. Rogers etc. LOL! :lol:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Neither the rebranding or the insurance business is relevant. The rebranding was done long ago and the costs which I objected to were spent then. The insurance is a separate account and the sites are not affected by it nor would large losses hit the club as they reinsure.
Everything will increase in price particularly council tax so a rise of some sort is inevitable, you simply have to wait and see what the published figures are.
Different sites will have different rises because costs do differ, particularly things like council tax. Many sites are on leases which will review at different times so a site with the rent reviewed upwards might get a bigger increase than some others.
Increasing costs are a fact of life and we need to wait and see what the reality is before rushing to judgement based on a very vague e mail.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
Neither the rebranding or the insurance business is relevant. The rebranding was done long ago and the costs which I objected to were spent then. The insurance is a separate account and the sites are not affected by it nor would large losses hit the club as they reinsure.
Everything will increase in price particularly council tax so a rise of some sort is inevitable, you simply have to wait and see what the published figures are.
Different sites will have different rises because costs do differ, particularly things like council tax. Many sites are on leases which will review at different times so a site with the rent reviewed upwards might get a bigger increase than some others.
Increasing costs are a fact of life and we need to wait and see what the reality is before rushing to judgement based on a very vague e mail.

I would like to think that both Clifford and myself were making humorous posts?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My healthcare insurance has just gone up 10% due to increased pressure on the NHS leading to more claims on the insurance. We are paying twice over. Gutted as we’ve not used it for neigh on 20 years. Should have just put cash to one side. But who does.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have looked at the sites we have used in the last 5 Years, and it seems we have used Private sites more than, both the main club sites, only once and maybe the cl/cs sites twice. For the sake of a discount on the Insurance of the caravan, does it make a difference, not sure. The majoirity of main club sites no longer appeal to my caravanning , middle of nowhere, not normally near a pub, and close at the end of October. Fully booked a year ahead.
I will have a big look at renewing my membership in March next year.

Rant over.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
We are planning to go to the CAMC site at East Fleet, Weymouth at the end of June don't know what the prices are but another site at West Fleet want £32.00 a night in March,

• Haha
Reactions: Dodger524
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The last edition of the magazine featured three sites with charges of over £40 a night so this does put the club charges into some sort of perspective.

• Wow
Reactions: Dodger524
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Are they private sites that you are comparing at £40 per night. Also are they peak time rates. For further perspective we have been looking at small cottages in Suffolk, not far from the coast (<5 mile) they are coming out at £500+ per week in mid May and much more during the peak periods of July/August, and electric isn't all free either.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
That is what we tend to do if a site seems to be abit pricey-compare the price and location to a similar cottage plus the fact that our caravan is so luxurious-and it never seems so bad!

Reactions: Hutch and Dodger524
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Are they private sites that you are comparing at £40 per night. Also are they peak time rates. For further perspective we have been looking at small cottages in Suffolk, not far from the coast (<5 mile) they are coming out at £500+ per week in mid May and much more during the peak periods of July/August, and electric isn't all free either.

The sites were all private sites in North Devon and £42 was the peak rate for summer for two although the third was shown as the figure for the year although I do wonder if gremlins got in there. The intent was just to show that there are sites charging more than the clubs as well as others charging less.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
seems the CAMC increase is relatively very small. What is important , you know exactly what you get with no hidden extras. The bonus of Club membership is access to the CLs. £20.00 buys you a fully serviced pitch , awning , dogs and all the trimmings including a 3.5 mile dog walk.
Last year the private sites won but beware. We were all well fleeced in the Chester area. Our choice but very expensive:mad:.
Someone mentioned insurance . The Clubs insurance claims ratio has nothing to do with the Club. Obviously they receive commission but then their cover is second to none.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think some just like to criticise the CAMHC whatever. Like you I feel the VFM is excellent and the sites are always of a good standard. The CLs are the icing on the cake. When I read of energy prices rising 40% in five years and Minimum Wage increases being imposed it’s hardly surprising that nightly rates have had to increase. I won’t mention the tendency to increased consumption by awning heater, overnight heating or daytime heating when out. :eek:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just got the magazine with the 100 best sites book included. After seeing what they charge at some sites the clubs charges look pretty modest. Still cannot work out who would pay £125 a night at the winner Concierge Camping, whatever the quality. Value for money seems to be a low priority in assessing some of the sites.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS