CAMC site - 1hr + wait?!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly trying the phone line might help. The internet is just one way to book, but if it fails the phone is worth a try while you hang onto the website to double your chances of getting in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just tried the site again and seemed to be working better, until I entered location, Cotswolds now includes New Forest and West of England, tried again with Southern England as search, came up with International sites, still needs some more work it seems, eventually managed a booking but don't understand why needed to put in the name of each member of our party, plus make and model of car together with length, also make and model of caravan and length, and colour of car and caravan, (made the last bit up about colour)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
So is the new system of taking Deposits in place yet; or is all the disruption because of IT prep work?
mel

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I don't know the setup with regard to the clubs IT department, but something like this will have been farmed out to a third party no doubt. I'm sure that it was well tested in Dev and pre-prod environments but I have seen issues time and again with going live on a new system. Small variations in the spec of the machines they are using between dev and prod environments, missing install files,security rules etc etc etc. To say the person in charge of IT is very naive is a very naive thing to say
A full backup should have been made and they should have been able to fall back to the old system at some point or at least have partial functionality.
Glad I'm not in their IT dept at the moment
Companies all over the world introduce major changes or new websites for customer interface. They do not generally have this sort of farce. This has been mismanaged. You cannot say what you just did and then contradict it by denying their naivety.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
In fairness to CAMC maybe our expectations are too high. For every year for as long as I can remember there has been the usual bun fight for pitches.
Are we really expecting CAMC to pay for an IT system that copes with a two day window without issues, yet for the other 363 days will clearly be an over powered , over engineered expensive system?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In fairness to CAMC maybe our expectations are too high. For every year for as long as I can remember there has been the usual bun fight for pitches.
Are we really expecting CAMC to pay for an IT system that copes with a two day window without issues, yet for the other 363 days will clearly be an over powered , over engineered expensive system?

Don’t understand what the two day window refers to. But we never book much in advance. But it would be nice to access the site to make the odd booking. Remember, it is more than a club, it is a decent sized business.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Don’t understand what the two day window refers to. But we never book much in advance. But it would be nice to access the site to make the odd booking. Remember, it is more than a club, it is a decent sized business.

John
The two day window is their annual peak demand

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The two day window is their annual peak demand

And is that around about now? I thought the whole idea of introducing the deposit scheme was to stop that. Perhaps it failed. It was suggested earlier their problems were as a result of the new system introduction. Or is it a combination of things.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And is that around about now? I thought the whole idea of introducing the deposit scheme was to stop that. Perhaps it failed. It was suggested earlier their problems were as a result of the new system introduction. Or is it a combination of things.

John
John , I tried for years to get a pitch at Chatsworth for two weeks. Could not get booked because of the weekenders. I gave up and found better alternatives. But I suggest the Annual Bun fight continues as soon as next seasons pitches are made available.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John , I tried for years to get a pitch at Chatsworth for two weeks. Could not get booked because of the weekenders. I gave up and found better alternatives. But I suggest the Annual Bun fight continues as soon as next seasons pitches are made available.

Arn’t they, or haven't they, extended the booking period. In order to prevent things like that together with the deposit scheme. I don't get involved with advanced block booking as I said earlier. But I did manage to get Chatsworth in 2019. And very nice it was.

But the OP suggested that this debacle was due to the change of booking system. It would seem mad to me to introduce a new system at a time that coincided with the forecasted ‘bun’ fight.

But I don't know.

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Prior to this new deposit system they had already changed the booking system and had done away with the annual opening of pitch availability. ( which used to be in December) Instead you could book up to a year ahead of the current date. It didn’t solve the weekend grabbers problem, just smoothed out the annual bun fight.
If there has been a recent scramble of booking I would suspect it was folks trying to book up loads of pitches before the deposit system went live; but that is just a guess.
Mel

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I read several posts on CAMC forum members saying they could not book sites for a good while before the changeover (2 weeks?) because the booking system had been blocked. There would be a backlog of members who wanted to book from that period + those who wanted to play with the new "experience" (why did the club decide to cal it that FGS ?) The mad scramble was worsened when they closed the whole site down for a time, which then became protracted because of problems the club found.

Reactions: otherclive and Mel
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A chap on another Forum I use said

booked York Round-tree park next July £51 per night I was shocked, we won’t be doing so many club sites next year.

That‘s an eye opener!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

booked York Round-tree park next July £51 per night I was shocked, we won’t be doing so many club sites next year.

That‘s an eye opener!

For perspective. We are on a peaceful CL with all very big hard standings and hedges. (no facilities), £20 per night. We will not be visiting Roundtree.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
They lost the plot years ago, Rowntree in York, not a chance for us, especialy as we have friends in Rawcliffe.
The CaMC will turn into a MH club.
I think it's already going that way.
It was mainly motorhomers that kept pushing for more hard standing pitches and the ability to book them in advance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think it's already going that way.
It was mainly motorhomers that kept pushing for more hard standing pitches and the ability to book them in advance.
We found the hard standings invaluable in our winter forays. If MHs can push for bookings in advance, why cannot caravaners do the same?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I appreciate that the thread is about the CAMC, but to put it in perspective have the C&CC also increased their prices as much?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

That‘s an eye opener!
We will not be stopping in a club site but manage to get a Cottage near York for 6 nights very reasonable .next year .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The CaMC will turn into a MH club.
As far as I know, the Caravan Club has allowed motorhomer's to be members for many years, and after all why not? In most respects the needs of both caravans and motorhomes are broadly very similar, a point that was recognised when the club rebranded to show its inclusivity.

I don't think it's fair to imply motorhomes are inferior to caravans, they are just a different way to spend your time and no less valid.

Reactions: Raywood

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts