Cameron Lost the Plot

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Just seen him on TV (Sad I Know ) All I can say is the Centre ground is going to be crowded at the next election. Is this a conspiracy ??? to keep 100s of them in job's with no competition???. Because to me they all sound the same, same sound bite i.e. going to clobber the " Gas Guzzlers ". Do they not understand anything!!!! By selecting one section of the public for Raising Taxes will add nothing to the Global Warming issue. The word Global should give them some idea. The atmosphere is Global not just over us here in the UK.

Last week it was Labour, those who let Rover Cars go China !! Now if that's not adding to Global warming I don't know what is ???..

A fair policy is needed, you can't select a very small group of people, and then point a finger of Guilt at them for Global Warming. Yes I drive a 4x4, but is the person who is leaving the TV on stand by, or running central heating 24 hours a day not to blame also.

If cameron want's to be different why not slap an Environmental Tax on say every Kilowatt used over the National Average, will attract a 20p surcharge. Bet that reduces electrical consumption and in the process will do more for the Enviroment than clobbering 4x4s.

I do agree that a tax on Fuel is the best way to reduce Co2 emmissions I just want it to be Fair Tax.

rant over Frank & Val

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
You're right Frank, isn't the biggest polluter per person / mile jet airliners, trains second and buses third. This is taken on an average when they are also running almost empty. Could be wrong but that's the info I've read, it's difficult to find unbiased figures. Oh, don't forget that all those means of transport use duty free fuel so do not put anything into the coffers to pay for research into emissions etc. Talk about ripping off the motorist, we should all boycot other means of transport where possible and stop and give a lift to people in the bus stop or station for a month, see how the operators like a month without revenue. :)

Rod

Rod.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I aggree Frank - non of the politicians, Greens included come up with any positive way forward. It's all tax and penalise, no mention of how technology and research can show the way forward; except for wind and wave and "alternative" energy which is the standard drivel and means very little.

It really gets on my tits that they seemingly ignore the fact that 80% of adults are motorists and we the poor public are quite chuffed that cheap air travel for the masses is now available. Why should we be made to feel guilty about these things?!

I know from my previous proffesion that Aerospace technology and the R&D from recent years has meant cleaner quieter and more efficient aircraft - this is ongoing and incidentally a sphere in which we are world leaders, do you ever hear any of this from politicians?

The Automoble industry has and is making vast strides in developing cleaner more efficient vehicles, do you ever hear any of this from politicians?!

I also am aware of fantastic progress made by a consortium of European Nations in developing Nulcear Fusion - a clean safe alternative to conventional nuclear power. The first "technology demonstrator" power station is due to go on stream in France in 2010, I have never heard mention of this by a politician!!

The tree huggers it seems can only predict doom - they protest at wind turbines saying they consume too much carbon during manufacture, they also complain about bio fuel crops, saying that they will cause further starvation in developing nations - would they be happy if we all went slowly back to the stone age?

Probably yes; well I and billions of my fellow humans don't want to go backwards or into some drippy scenareo where we are made to feel guilty for destroying the planet and taken advatage of by politicians whose motives in portraying a green image are to trade on the guilt and tax us on it into the bargain!!

That's my rant over too - made me feel better anyway!

Jul 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi Guys,

We all know that what ever gets developed in the way of cleaner energy will totally dissapear into the murky depths of Westminster. I remember years ago a tv item about a Rover metro capable of 100 miles to the gallon. It never made it to the road. The government is picking on 4x4 drivers because it cant pick on all drivers (YET). No matter who wins the next election fuel prices will have to remain fairly stable to ensure stability in commerce. They also need the tax to fund there wars and generous "giving" to the EU and aid to third world countries. Lets face it theyare all the same. Its only by getting us worried that they can do the other stuff they dont want us to see. When ever your given something from any political party, you should always look for the other hand nicking your wallet. Rant over.

Don

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Cameron did not raise the 4 x 4 issue, it was the presenter and Cameron then skirted around the question.

Green energy is fed into the National Grid but it is only a tiny percentage of the overall capacity.

I can see this thread becoming one of those issues.

G

Frank & Val,

Living in Aberdeen you will remember those claims made back in the 60's when all the hydro electric schemes were built. Scotland would have enough unlimited electricity for life. OK, so they lied by plugging it all into the national grid. Or the one in the 70's that there was enough oil in the North Sea to keep Scotland energy independent for a 100 years. OK, they lied again. Actually both claims were totally true, it was just that politics got in the way of a great plan. Then of course in the 90's our glorious chancellor sold all the oil/gas at knock down prices so now we have to import at high prices.

As for green energy and protecting the environment, forget it. With the US pumping out 25% of the world's pollution and the Indians and the Chinese not far behind then whatever we do here will have no effect whatsoever, but it will give the Chancelllor more tax, so that's all right then. The good news is that the world will probably sort out the problem itself, mind you it will probably lead to the extinction of life as we know it, but that's all right.

Hey, it is only Monday and already the week is going downhill. Back to the whisky bottle methinks.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Scotch,

Being English, with a Welsh wife,Son married to a Scottish Lassie,2nd Son based at Lossie. I some times feel I'm hemed in on all sides !! in a nice way. I feel next time round for the Scttish Elections, I will be voting for the SNP. I just wish Alex had the b***s to stay here and knock some sense into the muppets in Edinburgh.

rant over

Frank

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We have lost all faith in green since i asked our local council if i could put a small wind turbine up in my garden, it would have stood above the tree level and have been visible from the front but not by much, the turbine would have suplied most of my electric requirments and overnight fed in to the national grid. We where adviced that we stood virtually no chance of gaining planning permission as we lived in a residential area and the council would object. I can't even put up solar panels as the front of my house faces south and again they would be seen so no permission granted. it seems to us that the government wants to be heard but stops short of allowing anyone to do anything unless it involves paying more tax.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a life long labour voter ,i was quite impressed with Camerons speech at the Tory party conference .Having said that he is light weight and surrounded by an equaly light weight shadow cabinet .

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Another thing that gets me is. When the minimum wage is increased due to the Fact that if you work 40 hours your paying tax so every increase the Goverment take 20p in the

TRENDING THREADS