Camping & Caravanning Club introduce their new theft recovery system

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
The C&CC have introduced their new Sold Secure Diamond Standard Apello GEO theft recovery system for caravans and motorhomes.
The system which was developed in Sweden and is based on wildlife tracking technology costs £299 for club members with an annual subscription of £119.
Club Care caravan insurance offers premium discounts of up to 25% for tourers fitted with this device.
I think that makes it the most expensive tracking system available? Also if the trained investigator finds your caravan, do you really want it back as it does not state that you would be alerted if the caravan is moved. Seems more of a tracing type tracker. If it does not use GPS technology then it must be either analogue or digital therefore if stolen goods are in a warehouse, no signal. As for the GPS signal being so weak, how do satnavs able to function? I will wait until we have some feedback from people who have bought the system before deciding whether it is worthwhile.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the caravan is stored without a mains supply will it run the battery down so fast that the system is useless.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The website blurb says that the unit has it's own battery which lasts '1year+', battery monitoring software is included and unlike gps the transmitter can be located indoors.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
The website blurb says that the unit has it's own battery which lasts '1year+', battery monitoring software is included and unlike gps the transmitter can be located indoors.

By the same token also makes tracking difficult in hilly country. Tracker has had this technology for about twenty years as tracker was initially used to track cattle and game on the huge farms in southern Africa. Tracker has already got the technology integrated with teh police force in the UK and has been for many years. Tracker uses both GPS and FM as digital is very limited.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that technology will have moved on over the past 20 years Surfer and if you actually read what is written by the C&CC their product was developed from wildlife tracking technology.
smiley-wink.gif

The C&CC would be highly unlikely to market a product that doesn't work and they seem confident that it does work.
I won't be buying one anytime soon though.
I didn't renew my annual subscrition for the tracking system already fitted to our caravan this year, the company wanted me to buy a new unit costing £200 and the discount of the insurance premium added up to less than the annual subscription so I just set the burglar alarm and use wheel clamps etc when the caravan is not in use now.
If it was taken I wouldn't want it back anyway
smiley-frown.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
I'm pretty sure that technology will have moved on over the past 20 years Surfer and if you actually read what is written by the C&CC their product was developed from wildlife tracking technology.
smiley-wink.gif

The C&CC would be highly unlikely to market a product that doesn't work and they seem confident that it does work.
I won't be buying one anytime soon though.
I didn't renew my annual subscrition for the tracking system already fitted to our caravan this year, the company wanted me to buy a new unit costing £200 and the discount of the insurance premium added up to less than the annual subscription so I just set the burglar alarm and use wheel clamps etc when the caravan is not in use now.
If it was taken I wouldn't want it back anyway
smiley-frown.gif

The company I worked for developed the tracking device for animals and we used a FM signal and cross references as GPS was unheard of in those days. The units still use FM, but have added in GPS and have obviously become a lot smaller in size. It is a totally different kettle fo fish tracking an animal in the bush as theya re not going to hide in metal containers or buildings. My son is heavily involved in tracking animals. See http://www.kapama.co.za/ which adjoins the Kruger National Park.
That price you quoted seems a bit of a rip off considering that any Tracker device is expected to last the life of the caravan! I agree if it is taken you wouldn't want it back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts