Camping Cheques or ACSI Camping Card?

May 11, 2008
Visit site
We've used Camping Cheques for the last three years for low season touring and found them excellent, though they don't always have a site where we want to be. While travelling last year we met people who use the ACSI Camping Card, though the drawback with that seems to be that I understand you cannot pre-book. Does anyone have any advice on which to use, or a mixture of the two?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do you need to pre book? Surely the whole ideal of both schemes is to allow you the opportunity of using sites when they are half empty! We use both and in some countries like Germany the ACSI Card has a wider choice of sites. Given also that the ACSI Card and site directory is about a tenner its not a massive investment even if you end up not using it, although I expect you will.

David

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks David. We've found it useful to book a few days ahead by e-mail rather than turn up with our rather large 'van to find no room at the inn. Occasionally we've been glad we had as sites were pretty full (mid to end June), and also tend to be given a better pitch on sites where they pre-allocate them. I might add that we use the Camping Cheques' electronic Gold Card, so don't have to pay any pre-booking fee. Do any others have experience of ACSI? Many thanks, Wendy

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We use a combination of Camping Cheques, Touring Cheques (Eurocamp) and ACSI. We don't pre-book sites - the whole idea of these schemes is to fill up empty pitches, so if the site has decided on it's 'low season' then even if the site is 'pretty full' you're still able to get a pitch. We've been using Camping Cheques for 12 years, and we've never been 'given' a pitch whichever we use - just allowed to choose our own. I think it's actually an advantage to not book or have a pre-allocated pitch - you can then find a pitch which suits your requirements. The only time we're ever allocated a pitch is at Chateau du Gandspette, and this is more to do with the time you're planning to leave, or whether you're staying for just one night. I suppose with a large van you may need the added security of at least emailing to find out if they have a pitch big enough for you.

We've never previously found a bad site - but this year found one we really wouldn't want to stay on. This was an ACSI site -and it doesn't appear to be listed now, so perhaps others agree with us!

May 11, 2008
Visit site
We use a combination of Camping Cheques, Touring Cheques (Eurocamp) and ACSI. We don't pre-book sites - the whole idea of these schemes is to fill up empty pitches, so if the site has decided on it's 'low season' then even if the site is 'pretty full' you're still able to get a pitch. We've been using Camping Cheques for 12 years, and we've never been 'given' a pitch whichever we use - just allowed to choose our own. I think it's actually an advantage to not book or have a pre-allocated pitch - you can then find a pitch which suits your requirements. The only time we're ever allocated a pitch is at Chateau du Gandspette, and this is more to do with the time you're planning to leave, or whether you're staying for just one night. I suppose with a large van you may need the added security of at least emailing to find out if they have a pitch big enough for you.

We've never previously found a bad site - but this year found one we really wouldn't want to stay on. This was an ACSI site -and it doesn't appear to be listed now, so perhaps others agree with us!
Thanks Val, glad to hear your experiences of not pre-booking. I suppose I wanted to reduce the 'fear factor' by doing so! Maybe I'll be braver next year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also use a combination of camping cheque and ACSI sites & ocassionally the odd municipal. Never had a problem although we will sometimes telephone ahead to ensure there is space available as one or two of the popular sites have bene nown to fill even in low season. I have also e mailed prior to leaving home to request a particular pitch because we have seen it on a previous visit. However I always tell them I am using camping cheques as well

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This year we used an ACSI card for the first time. We were in France for 6 weeks May/June and never paid more than 12 Euros [incl. EHU]. All the sites were excellent apart from one that was waterlogged and full of 'Seasonal vans. We never booked and always chose our own pitch. Many sites often have offers of 7 nights for the price of 6 - always shown in ACSI Handbook. On arrival you just give them your ACSI card and collect it when you pay/leave - so easy. We bought the ACSI Card/Book through the CC.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
We have used the ACSI card for several years together with the CC continental touring books - don't find we need anything else. Also never book, we like the freedom to more where and when we want.

Jan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts