Camping La Viorna, Potes, Northern Spain

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken

I have visited La Viorna near Potes but didn't stay. I hadn't posted earlier as I thought someone with more knowledge might post instead.

However as no on else has. About 5 years ago my wife and I had a fly drive break in Northern Green Spain (Wedding anniversary and took the opportunity to look at campsites with a view to returning that summer with our family and the 'van. We did return but a serious breakdown meant that we had to keep the van at Playa Joyel at Noja. We were takent there by the breakdown truck and it took all our hols to have the car repaired.

We visited a number of sites including :a Viorna but were not able to stay in any of them cos of above problems (insurance only provided small hire car for touring from site, NOT a towcar!! We loved the area around Potes. The road from Potes to Fuente De is particularly spectacular - a narrow limestone gorge. Fuente De has a cable car up into the Picos de Europa mountains.

Potes itself is a pretty riverside town althouh a little touristy. We visited La Viorna to have a look around. It was a little way out of Potes, just off the road to Fuenta De. It had lovely mountain views as shown on their website but was not particularly outstanding apart from that. We thought it a little remote with not too many facilities but it depends what you like?? It was NOT on our list of sites we planned to return to with the van. It would be good perhaps if you wanted a base for walking in the mountains. We felt that for us the beach sites would have been a better bet for the family allowing us take excursions into the mountains for days out which we did.

The Caravan Club Caravan Europe members comments says

"Lovely views; gd walks; friendly family-run, v clean site,; good pool; ideal Picos de Europpa area; conv cable car; 4x4 tours; trekking; mkt on Mon festival mid-Sep v noisy; superb quality and clean facs,, some pitches diff in wet and diff lge outfits. Excellent"

We, also, visited another site just outside Potes. That was just off the main road and by right by the side of the river. It seemed very pleasant and had a lot of shade if I remember rightly. There are 2 sites mentioned in the Caravan Club Caravan Guide and I am not sure which one this was.

Generally speaking we loved Green Spain. Beautiful scenery mountains and beaches. Excellent motorway along the coast. Very rural and unspoilt generally although some pockets of heavy industry. Not very touristy even in high summer. Real Spain!! SUPERB AREA - Highly recommended.

Hope this may be of some help. Please post again if you have any specific queries and I'll try to answer them.

Alan Rogers "Europe" Guide was helpful. Now, also, of course specific "Spain and Portugal guide available". Caravan Club book, above, super too.

Best wishes

Tim

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Hi Ken

I have visited La Viorna near Potes but didn't stay. I hadn't posted earlier as I thought someone with more knowledge might post instead.

However as no on else has. About 5 years ago my wife and I had a fly drive break in Northern Green Spain (Wedding anniversary and took the opportunity to look at campsites with a view to returning that summer with our family and the 'van. We did return but a serious breakdown meant that we had to keep the van at Playa Joyel at Noja. We were takent there by the breakdown truck and it took all our hols to have the car repaired.

We visited a number of sites including :a Viorna but were not able to stay in any of them cos of above problems (insurance only provided small hire car for touring from site, NOT a towcar!! We loved the area around Potes. The road from Potes to Fuente De is particularly spectacular - a narrow limestone gorge. Fuente De has a cable car up into the Picos de Europa mountains.

Potes itself is a pretty riverside town althouh a little touristy. We visited La Viorna to have a look around. It was a little way out of Potes, just off the road to Fuenta De. It had lovely mountain views as shown on their website but was not particularly outstanding apart from that. We thought it a little remote with not too many facilities but it depends what you like?? It was NOT on our list of sites we planned to return to with the van. It would be good perhaps if you wanted a base for walking in the mountains. We felt that for us the beach sites would have been a better bet for the family allowing us take excursions into the mountains for days out which we did.

The Caravan Club Caravan Europe members comments says

"Lovely views; gd walks; friendly family-run, v clean site,; good pool; ideal Picos de Europpa area; conv cable car; 4x4 tours; trekking; mkt on Mon festival mid-Sep v noisy; superb quality and clean facs,, some pitches diff in wet and diff lge outfits. Excellent"

We, also, visited another site just outside Potes. That was just off the main road and by right by the side of the river. It seemed very pleasant and had a lot of shade if I remember rightly. There are 2 sites mentioned in the Caravan Club Caravan Guide and I am not sure which one this was.

Generally speaking we loved Green Spain. Beautiful scenery mountains and beaches. Excellent motorway along the coast. Very rural and unspoilt generally although some pockets of heavy industry. Not very touristy even in high summer. Real Spain!! SUPERB AREA - Highly recommended.

Hope this may be of some help. Please post again if you have any specific queries and I'll try to answer them.

Alan Rogers "Europe" Guide was helpful. Now, also, of course specific "Spain and Portugal guide available". Caravan Club book, above, super too.

Best wishes

Tim
As an aside, while little bits of bickering go on elswere I would congratulate you on the quality of that reply.

Its what makes this forum so good.

ttfn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim

many thanks for your excellent detailed reply. We also fell in love with Northern Spain when we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in 2002 with a fly/drive tour of Northern Spain staying at several Paradors going all the way accross to the west coast and border with Potugal at a small town called Tui.

We flew to Bilbao then our first stop was 2 nights at Fuente De. We chickened out of using the cable car, regretted it, but will probably chicken out again! We saw England beaten by Brazil in a bar at Potes, but still loved the place enough to want to go back.

We are recent caravanners and this is our first trip abroad with it. We are sailing from Portsmouth to Bilbao on 15 June then have 7 nights in France around 20 miles north of Biarritz. Our original plan was to then go to San Vicente de la Barca for the remaining 11 nights, but now we will go to Potes for 4 nights and get some walking in before going on to the coast at San Vicente. We like quiet sites and so long as it is clean and has electric hookup (which it has), then that will do us nicely.

Can't wait and thanks again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken

Thanks for saying thankyou. Glad our comments helped.

I would not have gone-on so much about Potes and Feunta De if I'd known you'd already been there!

it sounds as though you traced our 2000 footsteps although we were only up to the 22 year anniversary at that time.

After I had read your reply I hope you won't mind if I make a few further comments as you say you are relatively new to caravanning.

Re the Potes sites I would wonder if you need to book sites as it is before the main season. I would be tempted just to go and see what you like. If my memory serves me correctly we preferred the site near the river outside Potes. Certainly when travelling out of season we just tend to turn up early on the day and see if we like the look of it. That has worked for us all over western Europe even though we have a large twin-axle van.

To help us on our exploration we rely heavily on website reviews. If you haven't yet found them I strongly recommend the "Touring and Tenting" and UKcampsite.co.uk websites. Both carry members honest reviews of UK and Continental sites plus lots of useful info on technical matters, routes, etc.

We, also, carry the relevant

Caravan Club Caravan Europe (Volume 1 for France & Spain) I've just updated to the 2006 edition only

May 21, 2006
Visit site
Hola Pilar. Si quieres conocer mas sobre Noruega, sus campings y carreteras, mejor abrir un nuevo "thread" bajo un titulo como "Information on touring Norway."

Best wishes,

Frank
thank you Frank. I want to open a new thread but I don

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim

again, thanks for your reply. I would have responded sooner, but we were away over the weekend outside Bournemouth on a quiet CL in the rain. Then the website wouldn't let me post a message!

We have now ordered and received the CC Europe 1 and we will be brave and not book but, as you suggest, just turn up. Our attention has now moved from La Viorna to Camping la Isla, a bit further out of Potes.

We have booked Camping la Playa Oyambre as much for the 10 amp electricity, but also as we liked the look of it from their website.

We have Mayday cover, but I understand this does not extend to abroad, so I will contact CC tomorrow for a quote for their Red Pennant - we have separate personal 12 month travel cover, plus my car is still under warranty and this has European cover, although I will recheck this.

Yes, we will write up our experiences when we get back.

Regards

Ken

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts