Campsite in Derbyshire?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello all we are looking to stay in Derbyshire in the October Half Term so a child freindly site please, and having never been to far North we have no idea.

We would like to discover the real Derbyshire and it's lovely villages and countryside, but would also like a pub nearby for the evening to relax and unwind. Any size site would be considered. Any comments good or bad to warn us not to go there would be much appreciated.

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
Bones

Chatsworth CC site is very good, its is easy to get too, and a very good base for touring derbyshire. We have stayed a number of times and enjoyed it, normal CC quality.

We are going to try the Hope Valley site at Castleton in June that has a good reputation will report back after the trip.

Mike

LRG

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Losehill Caravan Club in Castleton is great for families. You are a few mins walk from Castleton which has loads of nice pubs. There are caves, walks and reservoirs on the doorstep. The site is a luxury one with huge flat pitches. There is a family room with internet access.

I'd suggest booking soon as it's a v popular site.

Lorraine (Bailey)

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
try peak gateway in ashbourne, its been taken over last year and had loads of investment, a good bar on site and a function room with regular entertainment plus cafe and young childrens play area. unfortunately the new owners have seen fit to increase the site fees quite a bit this year which has put us of visiting but it is a very good site for a one off visit to the peaks. all the club sites are what you would expect and worth visiting but we have yet to find a club site that is truly child friendly so we tend to avoid. lickpenny caravan park is also very good but again not a lot for the kids although they are made welcome. unfortunately due its very nature you wont find many sites that have a great deal of entertainment for the kids, oops nearly forgot rivendale caravan park is also very good and has its own bar on site.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
i dont like saying bad things and ruining a campsites reputation but weve just got back from rivendale and we wasnt happy.

we went there last year and thought it was fantastic really good clean friendly all that stuff so we booked again for this year and had a crap time.the sites still good but there was a bit of trouble around the toilet block at night teenagers shouting abuse at people leaving the toilets.

i was in there one night and some kids were running in and out standing on the toilets and peering in at you when your on toilet then you would go out side and youd get stuff shouted about you like what you were doing in which cubical i wasnt happy alot of people said they wernt comming back.we did complain and the staff replied oh not again!aparently it was the kids who were in tents with no electric who have nothing to do.

still a good site shame about the other campers

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear, we have not been to rivendale yet this year darren so i have not seen this poor behaviour, as you said last year was fine. is it me or is this type of behaviour becoming more common ? we have noticed a deteriation in behaviour on a number of previousley good sites mainly since the advent of the cheap tent packages from argos etc. only recently my van, my parents van and my sisters van was surrounded by these cheap tents and we had a really bad time due to language etc. shame really but this seems to be how camping is going.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
thing is we used to be in the tent brigade before we saw the error of our ways and got a van,but whatever you sleep in you shouldnt let your kids run riot like that most of these incidents were late at night when it had gone dark

i know they are on hols but a bit of parental control would be good not only that but nowhere is safe these days theres alot of nutters out there some of them in caravans waiting to pounce, you never know

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
thing is we used to be in the tent brigade before we saw the error of our ways and got a van,but whatever you sleep in you shouldnt let your kids run riot like that most of these incidents were late at night when it had gone dark

i know they are on hols but a bit of parental control would be good not only that but nowhere is safe these days theres alot of nutters out there some of them in caravans waiting to pounce, you never know

If only caravan sites would adopt zero tolerrence,and evict these trouble makers instantly, I am sure it would make all the difference.no warnings no second chance's. just get off the site.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
This is probably typical of what happens - a person who my wife works with takes her grandchildren regularly. She told my wife that "they are no problem, they soon make friends, we don't see them for ages because they are off playing", (one of their playing escapades was riding their bikes through the shower block). It doesn't take too much brain power to work out that they are off somewhere p*&~@#^ other campers off while the grandparents are relaxing with a nice book sipping their G & T. Before anyone criticises me for stereotyping children let me add that we know these 2 kids are right little *!"@#~'s, and they aren't alone, which proves it's not only the parent's but the grandparents who should shoulder some of the blame. Might I add the reason for ourselves buying a 2-berth was so we couldn't take anyone else. We have done our bit in raising 3 children so in the autumn of our lives it's our time. Some will say we are selfish and some will think we have the right idea. To those who think we are right may I say thank you, to those who don't - mlm salute' hehheh!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I think the comment mentioned by Darren that the wardens reply was "oh no not again" is obvious they had this problem with said kids previous nights! Why were'nt they kicked off site ? If I ran a caravan site there is no way the little gits would wreck it,they would be evicted !!!

Bring back the cane ha ha ha !!

Tina x

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
You are right in a lot of ways darren, another site we visit quite a bit has a large number of static vans and the kids from these have a policy of picking on kids from the tourers, obviousley the kids from the static vans go every weekend so all know each other. it does not help that the parents who own the statics all sit in the same area of the club house in a big group and have no problems in telling you that you are in "theire area" if you inadvertantly sit there not knowing. having said this it not the kids that creat the most problems they just get blamed for it, on the majority of sites the problems arise from the parents who have had one too many and all of a sudden become a boxing champion with a large mouth. its a shame that camping has gone this way but maybee the massively increased site fees that we have had to endure this season will put some of the idiots off. i have e-mailed rivendale to ask for an explanation and pointed them to this thread as the site really does not deserve this reputation, hopefully they will post a reply.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I steer clear of sites with statics for the reasons you have given, infact unless I've had the site on recommendation I usually stay away from private sites. Overall you can't beat a Caravan Club site, it beats all others hands down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My Lordship,

I was staggered to see you put that your wife goes out to work.has the Lord-dom fallen on hard times??If so,why not open up the estate.....Longleat could give you advice....and I am sure that you must be pally with the present incumbent.

A Club site tucked into the corner of what used to be the kitchen garden .......and then we could have a fleeting glimpse as you walk round with the head gardener......:eek:) heh,heh,heh as you would say.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
dont get me wrong icemaker i really like rivendale as i said in my first comment i just dont like the other campers i agree they dont deserve a reputation but i do think our experience at easter needed mentioning, myself and indeed my wife are adults and no young wannabe is gonna put me off going anywhere but when my kids who are still young and impressionable (all though well behaved and in bed at 7pm)have to hear the foul language and hear them spout off about what other people do in the toilet(number twos)thats unfair.

i still think rivendale is great and im sure if they get this sorted it would be better time will tell all i say is if your easily offended dont go for a number two in their toilet

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts