campsite in N Spain &the dordogne

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi, this is my first request, just having found this forum, looks like a mine of information out there! My husband & I are going to Spain in June & hope to spend 6 nights near the Picos De Europa. We would like to be on a site close enough to do a couple of walks. Anybody been in this area & could recommend a site (prob near the coast as we have read the roads into the Picos are a bit scary when pulling a van)We are then going for about a week in the dordogne end of June beg. of July.Again, we are wondering about a good site, probably in the vicinty of Sarlat, unless anyone has a better suggestion.We are interested in walking(prob. too warm in the dordogne, or is that being optimistic?) & plan on taking our bikes. Thanks in anticipation.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Can't comment on Spain however close to Sarlat (slightly to the East) is a lovely campsite "Moulin du Roch" which is part of Les Castels chain. This site also takes camping cheques but I do not know whether this extends to July - you will have to check.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We liked Moulin du Roch, on the route between Sarlat and Les Eyzies. There are some sunny pitches in a paddock and other more shady pitches on terraces on the hillsides. The sanitary block near the paddock (where we were) is really clean and well maintained - immaculate at all times. There's a good restaurant and a nice friendly welcome. The reception, shop, bar and restaurant are all the old farm buildings - lovely golden stone. There's a small stream running through the site, and a good swimming pool in a sunny position with plenty of loungers!!! No fancy slides, and just a very small play area for youngsters.

We went for several of the route marked walks which start from or around the site - nothing strenuous but nice walking, and on one walk came across a paddock where we saw a family of wild boar.

The site takes Camping Cheques up until the 9th July - so a bargain at

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks to you all. Looking at both sites-both look good. Having problems going on to the camping cheque website. Never having used them before I'm not sure how the system works. Anyone else tried their website & had difficulties?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We use Camping Cheques all the time (www.campingcheque.co.uk)and have been doing for about twelve years or more.

The website has been updated recently, and I know they are doing some technical work on it. I pointed out some problems with it, so maybe they've taken it down to sort out these problems. It's certainly working this morning - I've just opened it up. To find Moulin du Roch choose 'France' then 'Aquitaine' in the search box and all the available sites in the Dordogne and Landes area will come up and you can link to an information page about each site. It's also worth having a look at the website of the site itself, where you can often get more information! http://www.moulin-du-roch.com/

You buy the Camping Cheques in advance, as many as you'll need, and when arriving on site let the campsite know you'll be using them to pay for your pitch. At the end of your stay simply pay using the number of cheques you need - Moulin du Roch do a special offer of 7 nights for 6 Camping Cheques - and Bob's your uncle!

G

Wherever you decide to stay, the area is a very pleasant one to explore. There is a market in Le Bugue every Tuesday and they close the main street, there are also markets in Sarlat Wednesday's and Saturday's if memory serves, (park, free, at the top of the town beside the aire and walk into town) although you will often find the same stalls at both markets. The Dutch lady selling cheese has been doing them both for a number of years now, and the old guy with the sausage stall and the penknife to cut off samples is always there. Places to visit, apart from the numerous chateaux are the water gardens, the immense cave just outside Le Bugue and of course Limeuil just to sit on the riverbank with an icecream enjoying the sun.

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again,Lesley, Val A & Scotch Lad. It's really good to get advice from people who have already visited the places(Thanks also Scotch lad for the extra info.about markets etc.)

We've e.mailed sites to see if we can book even paying with campingcheques.

One other query (probably be more later)We are considering travelling back by way of the Loire.Any recommendations for sites there for 2 or 3 days? We thought we might also have a final night somewhere around Rouen before heading for the return ferry from Boulogne. Any thoughts on sites near Rouen? I've already made 2 queries.

Look forward to hearing any comments

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We have stayed at a couple of sites in the Loire - one to the east of tours near Blois (La Grenouliere) near Chambord. Chambord is well worth a visit - it has daily equestrian events which should not be missed. The other site, to the west of Tours is L'etang de la Breche (our favourite. This is very close to Saumur and many other chateaux worth visiting. Both are part of Les Castels chain and are situated on the N152 which runs either side of Tours. The pitches are better (larger with more space surrounding) at L'etang de la Breche and the restaurant is good. The owner, Bridget St Cast, runs a very tight ship and stands no messing around. Campers are not allowed to walk over occupied pitches!. This is in the Bourgouille area of the Loire and the "route des vins" runs parallel with the N152/N952 to the north of the site. This site is just one turn off the banks of the Loire and is ideal for cycling along from Saumur towards Tours.

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Lesley,Sorry to take so long to reply. Many thanks for the info. Both the sites you mentioned (in The Dodrdogne & the Loire) look good. We are starting to get Camping cheques & really appreciate the time taken to help us-nothing like experience to help you make decisions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts