Campsite Kawan Village ChÉteau de l'Eperviäre

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kevin,

We have stayed at this site in 2006 & 2007. Initially as a one night overnight stop on her way further south then again for three nights on our way home again. We did similar the next year.

I'm sure that at that time it was part of the Les Castel group, I can't remember anything about Kawan.

The site is in the grounds of a chateau with two fishing ponds on the site. Some pitches are right by the waterside. There is a small outdoor pool at the front of the site with a kids paddling pool towards the rear. The newer part of the site seems to be over the bridge past the fishing ponds. Two toilet and shower blocks, one at the entrance near reception. Shop selling the basics, bread to be ordered in advance the day before. Restaurant and take away, food good and prices not too bad.

The first year we were there the site facilities were kept really clean but there appeared to have been a deterioration in standards by the next year. Maybe just a glitch but we all noticed it. Reception staff helpful, location handy to the main road north and south but the site is out of the way in a very quiet setting.

Personally I wouldn't want to stay any longer than a short break there but that's down to personal choice.

Anything specific I can help with, let me know

Robert

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There's also an indoor pool which is nice and warm, and welcoming when you arrive and just want to cool down. We did have lovely pitches (and quite large, but VERY shady), and the sanitary blocks were fine when we were there (overnight stops on two separate occasions).

I've read varying opinions about it - restaurant great, or very expensive, site lovely or wouldn't want to stay there for my main holiday. Some people have said that they love it, and it's their favourite site - but to be honest we found it pretty average - and it's not somewhere we've revisited since our two overnight stops in the past.

Some sites that we have used as overnight stops have become firm favourites, but not this one. Still each to his own.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
By the way, Kawan is a 'Marketing' organisation, promoting French campsites, and allied to Camping Cheques, and Holiday Cheques, and also 'owns' and 'manages' some sites.

The original owner of Chateau d'Eperveriere (Cristophe Guy) was the founder of the Camping Cheques scheme, and was actively involved a year or so ago - but I did hear was going into French politics!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our latest visit to this site, after not visiting it for some years, was in early 2009. There have certainly been some improvements since our previous visit and I would say in terms of quality its up there with the best. We have only ever used it for an en route site and our longest stay was 2 day. I think it may now be Dutch owned and the guy that runs it was very friendly with perhaps the only suspect thing about him is that he is a Monty Python fan! Some picture and comments here L'Eperiere

David

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
thanks to all for your input, were stayinh with the camping cheque so well give it a try and if not up to standard move on

Thanks again

Kevin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David

As far as I am aware Christophe still owns the site although Gert Jan manages it. He is the Dutch lad I think.

Christophe bought another Chateau from which camping cheque is run and he is indeed now involved more with politics than camp sites!!!

DavidC

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is one of our favourite sites and we have had two of longish stays there: very handy for visiting the Burgundy region, with vineyards and history, both musts for us. The first time we went we had a pitch right by the water side, which was superb, the second time we were on the flatter, open ground, which is less scenic, but still good. The restaurant is good and they also do takeaways if you want to keep the cost down. It is only a short walk from the banks of the Saone, which seems to attract lots of anglers.

There is not a great deal on the site for children older than the toddler stage, so I'm not sure I would choose it for a family holiday. The weekly wine-tasting in the chateau cellar is entertaining and informative. One slight reservation - we have never once come across French campers on this site. The ambiance is definitely 'European' rather than 'French'.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
chrissie, thanks for your message, I was considering changing my mind as to go or not, we got no kids going just the 2 of us and the dog, we going with camping cheques in pocket so will see when we get their I think

Kevin

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

We were here last year (twice). Great for Dogs. Out of the site turn right,take first right down a track, on reaching the river Saone turn right again, a really good bar/restuarant on the river. Owned by a really nice guy. Used to be a chef in New York, speaks fluent Engilsh/American.A wealth of local Knowledge.Good food goood beer.

Enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts