can any 1 tell me of any good sites in slovenia,,thanks,,,,

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jimi
On Page 2 of this forum there's a post by Big Tim - who's just come back from a trip to Slovenia. It might be worth reading - but I'm sure he'll be along soon to give you some advice.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Val is right Big Tim has just been there. We visit the country every year from the site we stop at in Southern Austria as it is only 1 hours ride to Lake Bled. We have been and inspected the Lake Bled site and found it to be very nice but we prefer to stop in Austria and visit from there. There are 4/5 passes over the mountains into Slovenia and they are spectacular, would not want to take the van on them though. We visited 3 times this past Spring taking different pass each time visiting different parts of the country. It is very beautiful.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
We went to L:ake Bled a couple of years ago enroute to Croatia with our caravan. It is a lovely area, give yourself at least 3 day there.

Camping Bled is right alongside the lake but it is very cramped. Ok for Motor Caravans but not for Caravans (IMO).It would be quite a long walk or drive to Bled town.
We were glad that we opted for

Camping Sobec at Lesce. It is about 3 miles from Bled. Free parking around the town of Bled was always available if you are happy to go a couple of hundred metres out.
The site itself was very spacious. The loos were ok and the other facilities were very good.
I would happily recommend it.

I tested the Slovenian health sysytem by developing a raging toothache. The site directed me to a health centre, but I went wrong and found myself at a local school where a dentist was visiting. The treatment I received was excellent although I had to go to the next town for an XRay. Eventually she had to extract the tooth (my choice) and it was done very well. The all up cost was £35 after waving my EHIC - try getting that lot privately in the UK for £35.00

We towed via Austria - Kitzbuhl. Lovely drive and we found the passes ok. Some were not suitable for caravans, but we were able to avoid these. Like all smaller Alpine passes you need a good tow car and spare power. (150BHP Diesel). Much nicer than the Autoroutes.

A good trip.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jim
Its me Big Tim. Sorry I've not replied earlier but I've had a very hectic week.
As others have said we did indeed visit Slovenia and Croatia this Summer. We travelled out at the end of July and returned home at the end of August so we were away for 5 weeks in the Peak summer season. We travelled via Norfolk Lines Dover to Dunkerque and then drove on the motorways through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria to reach Camping Bled, our only campsite stop in Slovenia. We took 3 days actually driving down stopping at 2 campsites on the way. Our return mileage for the trip, from Merseyside, was 3303 miles!!!
You can read my review of the Camp Bled here:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=10192
As you can see we had mixed feelings about the campsite but it would probably be better if you were not going in the Summer Peak. When, and if, we visit Bled again I would definitely check out Camping Sobec which has already been mentioned.
Whilst we stayed at Camping Bled we visited another campsite. This was Camping Zlatrog which is actually on the shores of Lake Bohinj. This lake is a few miles from Bled and very picturesque and unspoilt as has very strict no-building rules for its shoreline. We walked through Camping Zlatrog to catch the "Tourist Boat" which travels along the length of the lake. The tourist boat is the one in the video. When checking the name on google I found this "You Tube" Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBeAPkTpUeQ
The video does, however, show how Zlatrog at its best and I think off peak. When we walked through it was VERY crowded, especially on the lakeside where 'vans were packed in with hardly any space between them. The campsite was generally a bit untidy looking as there were camping units of every description squeezed in every space. The loos were, however, very clean and modern, I sneaked a peek as we passed. It DOES have a stupendous location on the shores of this beautiful lake and I would consider staying there if I were going OUTSIDE peak season.
We did not stop at or visit any other campsites in Slovenia as we then travelled on to Camping Galeb at Omis south of Split in Croatia and only passed through Slovenia briefly on the way home.
I did post a few times on Practical Caravan Forum giving progress reports on our trip and you will be able to read these if you look back in the "Overseas" section.
We did NOT, by the way, book ANY of our sites on this trip, we rarely do. Even though it was high season we just phoned ahead when we got near and were only disappointed once.
If you have any specific queries please post again and I will try to answer them.
Kind regards
Tim

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jimi, again
Not all of my progress reports on our trip to Croatia/Slovenia are on PC because of the forum update. You can however read them here:

http://www.caravantalk.org.ukif you search in the caravan holidays abroad section and put in big tim as the author name and croatia and slovenia in the search box.

Regards
Tim

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jimi, again
Not all of my progress reports on our trip to Croatia/Slovenia are on PC because of the forum update. You can however read them here:

http://www.caravantalk.org.ukif you search in the caravan holidays abroad section and put in big tim as the author name and croatia and slovenia in the search box.

Regards
Tim

Sep 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jimi
I work at Practical Caravan/Practical Motorhome and recently visited Slovenia. There is a report on that trip in the xxxx issue of Practical Motorhome.

I stayed at a couple of parks - in Kobarid and Lake Bohinj. The Kobarid site is a little gtem, in my opinion. It's right on the edge of the Soca River gorge near to the famous Napoleon bridge at Kobarid. It has access to the translucent river, has a nice lively bar, and makes a great base to explore this historic

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts