Can anyone Advise? Unable to get Swift Charisma Awning Rail?

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
Damp Survey was carried out on my 2007 SWIFT Colonsay(Charisma) last August. Survey - revealed that main cause of dampness was being caused by the rear sections of both awning rails and a window seal. Gave the go ahead for for the job to be done as soon as the parts were delivered. Long story short - Still waiting!! Got a call from the workshop today, to say they had followed up the order with the supplier yet again! Think replacement parts supply was outsourced by Swift some time ago to another company. And this time instead of the usual delivery date being put back - they said that replacement rails were now discontinued. According to our guy, I think there has been an outcry from other companies with outstanding orders. So it sounds as if they agreed to make enough rails to fulfil the o/s orders but they won't commit to WHEN. In no way blame the Caravan Repair Shop - he has tried! He couldn't suggest any way the problem could be solved without the replacements. I just wondered if anyone could advise what to do. Bearing in mind I wouldn't have a clue where to start with a job like this, and wouldn't attempt it. Is the van destined for the Breakers yard? It would be a real pity, but I'm at a loss as to where to go or what to do next? Any suggestions??

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It MAY be possible to carefully remove and clean up the old rail, re-bed and replace it. But would need someone with experience of doing similar jobs.

John

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Damp Survey was carried out on my 2007 SWIFT Colonsay(Charisma) last August. Survey - revealed that main cause of dampness was being caused by the rear sections of both awning rails and a window seal. Gave the go ahead for for the job to be done as soon as the parts were delivered. Long story short - Still waiting!! Got a call from the workshop today, to say they had followed up the order with the supplier yet again! Think replacement parts supply was outsourced by Swift some time ago to another company. And this time instead of the usual delivery date being put back - they said that replacement rails were now discontinued. According to our guy, I think there has been an outcry from other companies with outstanding orders. So it sounds as if they agreed to make enough rails to fulfil the o/s orders but they won't commit to WHEN. In no way blame the Caravan Repair Shop - he has tried! He couldn't suggest any way the problem could be solved without the replacements. I just wondered if anyone could advise what to do. Bearing in mind I wouldn't have a clue where to start with a job like this, and wouldn't attempt it. Is the van destined for the Breakers yard? It would be a real pity, but I'm at a loss as to where to go or what to do next? Any suggestions??
Hi,
Not sure why existing rail cannot be re-used.The rail itself cannot leak only the method of attaching to the van.
Is the existing rail damaged and unusable.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Just a thought , ring around qualified repaires to see whether they have one . Reason is that our 20 year old Topaz had to have new rail as our gardes fence came up and hit it . The only problem he said at begining
was to replace same colour rubber insert and even then he obtained correct one. Essex.

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
Thanks to all for your input. Have rang a few workshops in the off chance that they had the parts in stock. It seems that they all have the same problem in acquiring these spares.

As far as I can see and gather there is no damage to the awning rails - I just don't think the repair guy was up for taking the chance - as he explained that the rails had a strong fixitive/sealant, and the difficulty was getting the rail off without twisitng it, rendering it unusable. Can't really blame him - not wanting to take the responsibility if he messes up!

Good to know that there might be a solution that doesn't include new rails. Food for thought!

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 7, 2012
Visit site
When I needed a replacement rail on our old Avondale after an accident which did not damage the rail and none were available the repairer did clean up the old one, but I gather it is a long job and needs care. It might cost a bit more for the work, but it should be cheaper than scrapping the caravan.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Awning rails are very difficult to remove without them bending and becoming unusable.
You need at least 3 people, preferably 4 to do the job.
Depending on the type of mastic you are dealing with determines just how difficult it can be.
On older vans the mastic used was IDL99 which is relatively easy to work with, the newer vans use a setting/sealing mastic such as Soudall Fixall or RV 61 which is extremely difficult to remove without damaging the van or awning rail.

Assuming the rail comes off without damage, all the old mastic has to be removed from both van and rail, the area prepared for the application of the new mastic , application of new mastic and refitting the rail using stainless steel screws, all the time ensuring the rail is held in perfect shape.

TRENDING THREADS