Can I leave caravan plugged in

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Solar panels are a possible solution, but just becasue a few models of caravan may have them fitted as standard does not mean all caravans do. As things stand at the moment solar panels are seen as a luxury item and some may be offered as an optional item, but they are not standard on ALL caravans.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As Prof John L stated in an earlier posting, the wisdom or otherwise of leaving the van permanently on an EHU, and hence with the mains charger active, depends on the type of charger the van has.

Whilst any unregulated charger will be a complete no no, even many regulated ones would not be doing the battery any long term favours. as these most probably regulate at 13.8 volts as a PSU, "power supply unit".

That voltage level, as a "float Charge" is tolerable over the expected duration of our caravanning trips, but not for winter storage, it is simply a little too high, just into the gassing threshold; trickle [float] charging, which it becomes, should sit at 13.6 volts to fall below long term gassing.

Some modern vans now feature controllers with a "Smart" charger and separated PSU functions, Schaudt being an example. As their name implies these are smart enough to know how to manage the charging. The better solar controllers again tend to be smart technology, designed not to abuse the battery in the long term.
These are both ideal and intended to be left on continuously; in my case with two vans both featuring these, they have been left so now for a total of 19 years. I achieved 11 years life from the Gel battery in the latest one.

Best read your van makers handbook or better still your battery controller's manual on its intended usage, as the answer to long term on an EHU is not a basic yes or no, it's largely dependent on the equipment fitted.
To an extent the battery technology, more basically if vented or VRLA "valve regulate lead acid" also comes into play as the latter can offer a degree of gas reabsorption, whereas the water is always slowly lost from a vented battery, sitting within the gassing off voltage. You can get away with more with a VRLA, though still it's not ideal to leave these charging in the gassing off range.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On our caravan the solar panel is standard fitment and saves the battery going flat as we have an active Phantom tracker and alarm. I doubt if it will be a standard fitment on budget caravans? Generally it is an option.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Have mine on a timer set to come on at night for two hours, Seems OK

If you have a smart charger with a desulphation phase, then going on and off so regularly is quite likely to screw up its clock memory and send it off not working as intended.
Instead of settling down to implementing a short high voltage desulphation phase every say 28 days [as some], it could wack the volts up on charging initiation, every night.

IMO, it is better to use chargers, and batteries, as their designers intended.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Lee28 (OP) asked about leaving the caravan hooked up to keep the battery charged. What I didn't know on Friday was that his caravan doesn't have a solar panel. Perhaps there are two answers to the question, depending on whether a solar panel is fitted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lee28 (OP) asked about leaving the caravan hooked up to keep the battery charged. What I didn't know on Friday was that his caravan doesn't have a solar panel. Perhaps there are two answers to the question, depending on whether a solar panel is fitted.
With respect Ern, as I pointed out previously Solar Panels are not standard on most caravans, and if he had got one I suspect he wouldn't have needed to ask the question, so its fair bet he didn't have one.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In 2007 solar panels on caravan roofs probably did not happen. I think it only started to take around 2015 for top end caravans and in many cases was an optional extra.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think that for the OP, solar panels are a bit of a red herring.
If he was into solar power, as someone mentioned earlier why would he need to plug in to the mains via ehu?
Solar power for caravans has been around since about 2010.
I first became aware of it on C&CC rallies where off grid caravan rally regulars all fitted their own solar panels to their caravan roof.
I did the same, and an alternative suggestion for the OP would be to purchase a suitcase solar array if he just wanted to keep his battery topped up.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
With respect Ern, as I pointed out previously Solar Panels are not standard on most caravans, and if he had got one I suspect he wouldn't have needed to ask the question, so its fair bet he didn't have one.
With respect Prof JohnL, I know you pointed it out, but I think solar panels are standard on a considerable and increasing number of caravans.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Lee who originally asked the question posted three times on this thread.
He said thanks and bowed out at #16.
The subsequent comments are answers to questions that Lee never asked.
Far be it from me to stifle legitimate debate, but for
those who want to discuss solar panels or when they were first fitted to touring caravans a new and separate topic would be appropriate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts