can it tow it?

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi there, new to forum... thinking about buying a caravan. Only problem is the car a 64 plate petrol 1.25 Hyundai i20 maximum braked towing capacity 850kg (find this a bit odd being as a Dacia sandero can tow over 1000 with less power but same weight!) anyways I'm looking at a mid 90s caravan with a empty weight of 693kg but fully laden of 850.. really my question is with such little power (84bhp and 86lflb torque) (at 4000 rpm mind) would it be able tow it about ok i.e. hill starts, not sitting at the redline all the time or wearing all the life out of it.. maybe someone else tows with a small engine? changing it isn't a option. any advice appreciated thanks in advance!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You may find the outfit matching guide on http://www.towcar.eu/ to be helpful.

It is always advisable to get some redundancy in both towable weight, kerbweight and of course power. Dont forget also that the car you mention may have a very light noseweight allowance, although the caravan you mention isnt particularly heavy in the grand scheme of things.

If you can give us more info on the caravan model etc, we could be of more help.
I have just done a test on a 2013 Eriba puck which is a similar weight to the caravan you mention, the results are as follows:

PLEASE NOTE; THIS IS NOT GOSPEL BUT MERELY A GUIDE.
The Hyundai i20 - 1.2i and the Eriba Puck 120 with a laden weight of 805 kg is a perfect match.
The stability score is calculated with a noseweight of 60 kg. That is 10 kg more than the towball limit of the car!
Good
Car is relatively heavy compared to caravan
Higher speeds are safely possible
Usability highest gear
Bad
Towball limit is a bit too low (10 kg)
Best pulling power at high revs
Higher revs uphill sometimes necessary
Chance of overheated brakes in downhill

Verdict

The Hyundai i20 - 1.2i and the Eriba Puck 120 of a laden weight of 805 kg is a good combination for journeys on most kinds of roads, sometimes with some limitations in the mountains.

The chance of snaking is small even at higher speeds.

The performances of the engine of this outfit are in general very good. Under all conditions on motorways it is possible to drive with 90 km/h in the 5th gear. In that case the engine runs approximately 2700 rpm. In a headwind or for example on a crossover there is no need to downshift immediately.

On most motorways inclines (5%) driving is easily possible in the 3th gear with 80 km/h and even full throttle with 104 km/h. Hill starts are possible on most slopes up to 13%. While driving the engine has enough power on slopes of 21% to drive.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
84 BHP, wow that's 1 less than my new bike. :woohoo: no seriously at that weight of van it should be fine the trouble is finding one, I used to tow a 1100kg van with a Megane that had 85 BHP, towed fine anywhere, it did a bigger torque though at 100 ft/lbs,
reading the report from Thingy sounds about right although surprised about the brakes comment, that's why caravans have their own brakes.

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi thanks a lot for replies really helps :) I know power is pretty low but don't mind it being slow so long as it doesn't break lol don't know where that chart came from but seems to says its OK!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
reading the report from Thingy sounds about right although surprised about the brakes comment, that's why caravans have their own brakes.

Their words, not mine. I too found it an odd comment.

don't know where that chart came from but seems to says its OK!

The chart came from the link I posted for you, click here http://www.towcar.eu/

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Modcon,

For many years now, the EU has made car manufacturers carry out prescribed tests to establish the maximum towed weight each model can handle. Its not just about weight and power , there are several factors that have to be taken into account, and you mention one of them which is hill starts. and it means that similar classes of vehicle can have very different towing limits. An important example of this was the original Vauxhall Zaffira, where as a result of the EU tests the more powerful diesel engined version had a lower towing limit that the less powerful petrol version!.

Another more recent issue has been car manufacturers making vehicles ever more frugal, and that can compromise towing capabilities.

For many years there has been a generalised adage that you need 40bhp per tonne for reasonable towing, so I guess you will be better than that with your proposed outfit..

In terms of weigh ratio, the unladen weight of the i20's seems to be just over the tonne, so you with and 850kg caravan you will be close to the industry recommendation for novice caravanner's of 85%

A word of warning about using tow matching web sites and services, The don't always carry correct details about your car and caravan, so the results should only ever be considered to be guide, and not gospel, You need to verify that all the details they have and use are exactly the same as your vehicles. Similar models are not necessarily close enough as per my example of the Zaffira.

Good luck

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Our first towcar was a 1.6 Zafira and we were clueless about caravans and caravanning. had always borrowed my dads caravan and Carlton before that. We had fancied a diesel too, but when I asked the salesman about towbars, he turned out to be a caravanner and advised us to go petrol. Whats this world coming to, a car salesman with both knowledge and a heart. We allied that to a used Swift Milano (based on a Baronette I believe). Technically a good match but no way could I ever get the noseweight right without some very slight counterbalancing.

Our first
589dbab3-f18a-4181-9097-1ce379874f03.JPG

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Code:
	How else can you trim for correct nose load?

Well obviously you can't. But there is a massive difference between some counterbalancing by sliding heavy stuff around the axle area to putting heavy stuff right at the back of the van, which we all know is a no no.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Thingy said:
to putting heavy stuff right at the back of the van, which we all know is a no no.

If one needs to put heavy things at the back of the van to get the nose weight correct then one has to, else the van can't be towed. But first one has to look at what is stored at the front of the van, eg gas cylinders, spare wheel, camping chairs,
wind breakers, bar-b-q, wooden blocks, etc, etc etc. ;) It's surprising what you see disgorged from the front locker of some vans. :evil: :whistle:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Putting heavy stuff at the back of the van has to be one of the things most likely to induce a snake. Its not just the counterbalancing coming into effect, but the fulcrum effect so far from the tow bar. If you are having to counterbalance that much, something is awry somewhere else.

This is the problem I have with the missus. This isnt heavy and that isnt heavy. And neither are they.

Simple answer, I tell her to pick em all up and carry em. :cheer:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whichever way you look at it, adjusting the position of items large or small to achieve the desired nose load is "counterbalancing" and that is a required action when nose loads are not correct.

What you are refering to is load distribution, and yes its good practice to keep as many of the heavy items at low level and as close to axle as possible to keep the yaw inertia as small as possible.

However it's never quite as black and white as that, Many caravan already have some quite heavy construction at the rear for example end kitchens, and some continentals have rear wall bike racks, so there is some tolerance to end loading. But best to avoid if possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts