Can you advise

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi there....after several years as a static van owner and with retirement approaching, I am consdering a tourer. I would like something on the larger side that we could keep on the static site for say half the year and then move to sunnier climes in the autumn.
Coulld you please advise me on the advantages/disadvantages of single or double axle set ups. The tow car will be a land rover freelander 2.
Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there Chris.

There are many different versions of the Freelander, and without specific information about model, year , body shape, engine and transmission, I cannot be certain the information I have found will necessarily apply to your model. However the same basic principals will apply.

Good towing requires a combination of criteria to be adequately satisfied, but as the first point, you need to ensure is will the car will legally tow the weight of caravan you are considering.

The Freelander model data I have seen indicates the manufacture allows it to tow a trailer of axle weight up to 2000Kg. It has a Mass in service or Mass in running order of 1850Kg. That represents a towing ratio of 108%.That may be ok for some trailers but caravans are "difficult" trailers and so it is very sensible to de-rate the car when towing caravans.

All the best advice suggests that the car should always be as heavy as possible and the trailer as light as possible. Most caravanner's suggest you should never tow a caravan that weighs more than the car and the industry recommends that a novice caravanner should not exceed 85% of the car MIS figure.

So there's your starting point regarding the axle weight of the caravan.1850Kg for 100% or 1573Kg for 85% I must point out that even if you stick to either of these values neither guarantees a good towing match by them selves. Many other factors affect towing such as the compliance of the cars tyres/suspension/chassis can affect the handling, the road and weather conditions, and probably the biggest factor is the driver.

As for single or twin axles, the jury is out, The vast majority of continental caravans of 1600Kg or less are singe axle models. They do not seem to be swayed (sorry for the pun)by the argument that twin axles must be more stable. many UK caravanner's feel they are, but there is no scientific evidence available to confirm the truth or other wise of this. There are some significant down sides to TA caravans. the second axle swallows up the caravans load capacity. There are four tyres to change costing more than teh two of most caravans, and when it comes to fine positioning, TA's are very difficult to manhandle, so often a motor mover is an essential, which also uses up available payload capacity.

What is certain is that all caravans are definitely better behaved when they are fitted with shock absorbers. Most caravan can have them fitted, but if a caravan mover has been fitted they can sometimes prevent shocks from being fitted.

I hope this is food for thought.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The freelander may be a little on the light side for many TA vans but there may be some that fall into line with the prof's excellent advice. We currently tow a TA and have had it for two years now, previously we had SA. Had a mover in both cases just incase and although all site manouvering is done by the car at home we need the mover to negotiate the driveway, this would be the case for a SA too, there just isn't the space to manouvre with the car and imposible to push the van up the slope of the drive and survive the experience!!
As prof says there is no scientific evidence regarding stability between the two but the TA does in my opinion feel more sure footed on motorways and is less tiring to tow as a result. swmbo has only towed a twin axle but is confident in doing so. We occasionally have issues with farm entrances but that is due to the overall length of the unit versus the width of lanes and the turning circle of the beast towing!!

Weight wise our van is at the bottom of the Coachman range but still comes in at 1750 fully loaded (which she always is) so rather too much for the freelander!

Hope some of that ramble is helpful

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Chris
The most obvious advantage of a twin axled caravan over a single axle model is the interior space which is available but of course the main disadvantage of the twin axle is the weight of the caravan.
A better approach might be to consider what sort of layout you require, do you need a large end washroom or do you use the on site facilities and prefer a smaller end washroom but need longer front benches to lounge around and stretch out on?
What sort of kitchen area would you need, do you prepare elaborate meals in the caravan or are you a bbq / Cadac type?
Many single axle models have centre fixed bed layouts with plenty of room in the lounge area and a smaller toilet and shower on either side in the middle between the lounge and the bedroom area.
Make up a list of what you really need, what you don't need or could do without, and have a look at the various models which you will be able to safely and legally tow with the Freelander.
When you look around dealers forecourts compare the different layouts and see which scores best on your list.

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Fantastic....thats really helpful. I think at the end of this season we will go to some shows and start looking in detail at what is on offer.
One thing I was told, and I'm not sure if correct, is that twin axle vans are not welcome on a lot of sites abroad. I cannot see a reason for this myself but perhaps you could comment.

Many thanks

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've read reports of T/A caravans not being allowed on some Continental sites, some of which have slightly smaller pitches.
This could be for a number of reasons Chris, not least because when less space is available and perhaps the site has hedges between pitches then a T/A could scrub the grass surface causing damage when attempting tight manoevers. It's easy enough to phone ahead and check whether T/A's are welcome beforehand.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
While the above is true to a degree, there are quite a number of big single axle caravans that are bigger than the smallest twins. AlKo now produce 2000kg single axle caravan chassis, and that's quite big by any account.
As Parksy says, a better approach is to choose the layout that suits you best first. If that happens to be a twin, so be it, but it could also be a single axle.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
never had a problem with our twin axle being accepted on sites except as already stated the total length of the outfit for access sometimes.

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
chrisinplymouth said:
Fantastic....thats really helpful. I think at the end of this season we will go to some shows and start looking in detail at what is on offer.
One thing I was told, and I'm not sure if correct, is that twin axle vans are not welcome on a lot of sites abroad. I cannot see a reason for this myself but perhaps you could comment.

Many thanks
Chris
we have a TA, as you can see in my avtar, we tour twice a year in France and have never been refused entrance to any site yet

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Tony/Martin

Thanks for letting me know that....it was a worry as we would look to spend 3-4 months a year in France/Spain/Italy....would not make sense to continually struggling to find a site that would accept a TA van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts