Canal Boat - Am I a Traitor, Help!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Brother in law keeps bangin on about taking a narrow boat for a spin (4 mph max)and I have thought about it for a couple of years and now quite fancy it.The problem I have is what do I tell the caravan? as I walk past him and leave him on the drive.

Only had the van a couple of years but been away together for the last dozen or so times.Been Brilliant.

The question is, Should I go, or should I take the van somewhere?

Kev

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

If ever you are in Evran (Britanny) look over the canal bridge, and you will probably see a caravan moored to the bank. It sits on a pontoon, belongs to a couple who live in Jersey. Obviously they know how to treat their dumb servants.

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kev

We've had a couple of narrow boat holidays (partly because we used Tesco vouchers towards the cost), and I have to say - it's a brilliant holiday!!!

You turn up, load your stuff on the boat, go through the basic training etc and away you go. We found that you are immediately engrossed in boating and forget everything at home as soon as you start chugging up the canal.

You can tie up wherever you fancy (so long as you stick to the canal rules & advice), everthing you need is with you all the time, lots of pubs, villages etc to explore....

We hired our last boat from Whitchurch and there was a small site at the base with a few vans on it, I'm sure you could take your van and let it watch the boats go past while you go boating :)

The only problem we had was getting used to all traffic whizzing past us on the way home, it's a bit of a shock after going along at 4mph max. We couldn't afford a boat so we bought a van last year, it involves a bit more work but it's alot more flexible for touring.

I'd go for it, at least once.

Julie

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Dont fret!, we've owned boats on the canal for thirty years and have lived aboard one for over five years. We now also own a caravan and enjoy the best of both worlds. It can be done!

Be warned though, boat owning is far more expensive than caravanning, but very addictive.

Regards, Andy.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Gagakev

Go one better, when i was a child, and later newly married, i must have been on the norfolk broads at lest six times, but on a motor boat, not a cannel boat.

Its a great holiday but not cheap, i caught my first fish on the broads, and have fond memories.

While a canal holiday is fine, you must be prepared for the "hassle" going through the locks, very time consuming.

Enjoy.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So the conclusion must be;

Take the van with me (Shady Sadie)and

Tow it on a pontoon (602)Then

Go for it at least once (Julie)

But don't fret because it will cost me a fortune (Andy)

Be prepared for the hassle going through the locks (Ray) may be the best bit, get's me away from the OH for a while!!

Thanks for your replies folk's, have decided to go for it.

But don't tell your van's that I'm leaving mine at home, on the off chance I meet one of you on a Cotswold site last week in September, you know how gossip spreads!! It will only upset him, but I will tell him the day before I go.

Kev

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Words you might wish to say to your van:

Its not you, its me.

I just feel we need a break.

It doesn't mean anything.

I never mean't for anyone to get hurt.

Can't help noticing that you keep referring to your van as "He". Just wanted to congratulate you on coming out.

lol

mel

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Don't you worry G'Kev, I'm giving up my comfy air con'd car and lovely cushy comfy spacious caravan and big bed for a pannier and a top box on a 'romantic' GS'er trip in India for a month from the 2/11.

Dusty dirty roads and the delights of Indian hotels :0(

If that's not true love of my other half I don'y know what is.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
"Dont fret!, we've owned boats on the canal for thirty years and have lived aboard one for over five years. We now also own a caravan and enjoy the best of both worlds. It can be done!"

and that's from a Barlick lad as well LOL

G

ROFL --------- ROFL ---------- ROFL

100 euros says you don't do the full trip Sadie ;)

So much for 'Luxury Hols' :)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Mel,

Its not you, its me.

I just feel we need a break.

It doesn't mean anything.

I never mean't for anyone to get hurt.

That's so sweet,so emotional,I welled up inside just reading it!

By the way its a "He" because I find it difficult controlling "girls".They flick there eyelashes at me then I feel sorry for them!!

Shady Sadie are you going to take euro up on his offer (of a bet)? Have a nice time you may even see some sunshine!

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
With my dearest brother in-law G'Kev, may be!

There is now a spare bike for him and his wife, the ball is in his court. I'll take his on his bet if they come to.

I'm now dreading what we have done, my hubby and him screaming down rough pot holed roads with us two women hanging on for dear life eyes closed praying.

I really wanted to see my new grand children grow up ;-)

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev......so you are having a relationship with a male caravan !!

Does your Brother in law know you are two timing his Sister?

Is he competant in his narrow boat?

It sounds a bit restrictive to spend a holliday going round in circles at 4 mph!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
oooooooooooh No what have I done,going to book him in for a sex change,and no the Brother in law does'nt know because there really is'nt anything going on.

None of us have sped around the canal's before, first time for everything!

The only circles we'll be going around is when we leave the pub, or should that be one step forward, two step's back.

Shady Sadie,spare bike, what will his wife say!!

Best to keep your eye's open you might bump into an elephant!

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
im more worried about you "talking" to a caravan!

i hope you realise that you can be taken away and put in a padded cell for doing that you know

saying that maybe my wife should be taken away.....i dont answer her....and ive not spoken to her for years......i dont like to interupt her :)

hgv dave

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Was going to give a detailed reply.............

Aint got time now, got to answer the door to three men in white coat's, think there carrying a straight jacket as well!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts