Cancelling and no refund?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I hate these people that pre book popular sites and cancel, because they have chosen to go to another site they have booked. I cannot prove it, but I know it does happen, with the main clubs

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We booked a site in September due to my bad back i am now limited to what I can do and if we book down South again we will hire a cottage and my wife can share the driving :rolleyes:

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
We booked a site in September due to my bad back i am now limited to what I can do and if we book down South again we will hire a cottage and my wife can share the driving :rolleyes:
If you go out of season you can find some absolute bargains, stay off the main tourist bit and even more.
We stayed at St Blazey outskirts of St Austell, a row of holiday let's made from some kind of barn, no added bells or whistles but more than adequate, cost less than a caravan site!
And for a change we went down in the wifes car. We've also stayed at Cofton Country Park Devon both in the caravan and rented a house, same price as a pitch if you include the swim passes

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If you go out of season you can find some absolute bargains, stay off the main tourist bit and even more.
We stayed at St Blazey outskirts of St Austell, a row of holiday let's made from some kind of barn, no added bells or whistles but more than adequate, cost less than a caravan site!
And for a change we went down in the wifes car. We've also stayed at Cofton Country Park Devon both in the caravan and rented a house, same price as a pitch if you include the swim passes
Hi Darren that what we might have do is rent house in Cornwall on the coast and explore and take my mobility scooter with me

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi Darren that what we might have do is rent house in Cornwall on the coast and explore and take my mobility scooter with me
We met a couple 2 years ago, lovely people, he had mobility issues, they had a motorhome, nothing expensive and a box trailer that they towed the mobility scooter in.
Wife did all the driving, even my woman said she'd give that a go and she has absolutely no confidence to even have a go with the caravan

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem as I see it with the unfair contract terms legislation is there is no quotable case law that I know of, so any case is speculative. If you use the small claims court you may succeed and it will not cost a lot but the result will never be known and it sets no precedent for the future. Possibly if you feel very strongly you could use this route.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
This issue came up recently on another forum. The people had booked a stay on a site for three weeks and initially paid a deposit. About 2 weeks before their arrival they paid the balance. No issue.

However about three days before their arrival, one of them took a terrible turn and they phoned to advise the site that due to illness they were unable to make the booking. Illness had nothing to do with Covid as at the time it did not exist. They asked if the booking and payment could be transferred to a later date. The site refused and told them that they should have taken out holiday insurance.

After about 10 days the person who was ill recovered and they decided to take the balance of the holiday as they had paid for it. They contacted the site who told them that because they had cancelled, the pitch had been let to someone else. The site still refused to reimburse them although the site only suffered a partial loss. Surely the site should not be profiteering like that?

Apparently they took legal advice and were told that they stood no chance of getting anything out of the site. IMHO the legal advice given was incorrect!
What if you said you were coming to site with a highly contageous disease do you think the site owners would cancel the holiday and give you a refund.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even more now cover UK holidays. Twenty years or so our annual cover with Frizzels now LV provided world wide cover plus UK for booked holidays. I find it strange that people will take out holiday travel insurance for foreign trips but not for trips in Britain. Itā€™s very cheap as you can opt not to have medical cover given the NHS provide that. Many self catering accommodations insist on insurance cover more so now that people are double booking one for UK and a simultaneous booking for overseas.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I hate these people that pre book popular sites and cancel, because they have chosen to go to another site they have booked. I cannot prove it, but I know it does happen, with the main clubs
The CMHC keep a record. Last week we we thinking of travelling back home early on account of the dogs being ill. I looked at the CMHC site availability Poolsbrook and it was fully booked. So I rang the site manager and discussed the possibility that I might have to cancel at short notice. So offered to pay the nights fee anyway. She told me not to worry if I did not turn up but could I just give them a ring if I decided to forgo the nights booking. No payment was required. She said my reason would be noted on my booking in case I cancelled and did not turn up.
On arriving today I was asked how the dogs were and a pitch close to the dog walk was allocated. So my phone call had been noted and what was nice was the action taken by the CMHC site staff to help us out.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive , I guess the Clubs are big enough not to worry about a cancellation. The Commercial sites have had a torrid time and need every penny they can get. Dog eat dogšŸ˜„šŸ˜„

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive , I guess the Clubs are big enough not to worry about a cancellation. The Commercial sites have had a torrid time and need every penny they can get. Dog eat dogšŸ˜„šŸ˜„
Dusty
Agree but my point was that the CMHC do take note of members who cancel inside the minimum period or donā€™t turn up. Regular ā€œOffendersā€ are contacted and put on notice. CCC take deposits which probably mitigates against wall to wall bookings by people as the cumulative deposit costs mount up. I would prefer that the CMHC did similar.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts