canopy ?

May 9, 2015
Visit site
was thinking about a caravan pull out canopy what is the best one to get ? are they any good do they make putting an awning up any harder ? thoughts welcome ,

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
If you're thinking of one that fits into the awning channel and stays there then it will need to come out each time you fit the awning. Not recommended for windy conditions. May well need two to roll up and put away depending on size and abilities. We have a small Isabella porch canopy for when not putting the awning up but obviously that only shelters the door and is a lot smaller than you're thinking of.

May 9, 2015
Visit site
hi thanks i was just thinking of a small one when i cant be bothered putting the awning up something quick and easy just to shelter the cadac ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
robf1234 said:
hi thanks i was just thinking of a small one when i cant be bothered putting the awning up something quick and easy just to shelter the cadac ?

Oh Posh caravanners, some still have BBQs :unsure:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Rob, Having seen how small the screws are now used to fit the "bits" to our caravans I would be worried about keeping an awning permanantly fitted whilst travelling,
I am slowly going round our Coachman replacing the screws with larger diameter ones, and Martin, No I will not get it re weighed. :evil:
Hutch

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi ,
Mixed thoughts about, also thought about getting one years ago but as one went past us a while ago in the awning rail still attached in it's proper pack but in transit flapping on the side and hitting the side of the caravan so I for one would not be put one of these in for travelling if it was one of these that stayed in position.
Craig

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
SteveW77 said:
I travel 6000 miles a year with my Caravanstore on the side of my van.
No problems at all
Steve
is yours glued as well as screwed.
FIL had one years ago. Screwed and glued. I think it was fixed below the awning rail.
I have seen lightweight ones that are removed when in transit and are very light.They do a job and if treated carefully when very windy should be ok.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
SteveW77 said:
No problems at all
Steve
FIL had one years ago. Screwed and glued. I think it was fixed below the awning rail.
I have seen lightweight ones that are removed when in transit and are very light.They do a job and if treated carefully when very windy should be ok.

It's neither screwed or glued, it slides in the the rail like a normal awning.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
There is another similar discussion we've had before:

Forum
Categories
Equipment & accessories
Caravan Pullout Sun Canopies

Read more at https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/equipment-accessories/54962-caravan-pullout-sun-canopies#UFWTtcGfcZK2jLY8.99

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
SteveW77 said:
Dustydog said:
SteveW77 said:
No problems at all
Steve

So you remove it when travelling.
One of the Woosies uses one like that and it stayed up in some very poor weather at the last Woosiefest. I doubt it will put more strain on the awning rail than a conventional one.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
SteveW77 said:
Dustydog said:
SteveW77 said:
No problems at all
Steve

So you remove it when travelling.
One of the Woosies uses one like that and it stayed up in some very poor weather at the last Woosiefest. I doubt it will put more strain on the awning rail than a conventional one.

No I don't remove it when travelling, It's been permanently on the side of my van for the last three years some 18000 miles with no problems.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I started using the caravanstore about 15 years ago. I leave it permanently on the van and yes it will move in the wind whist traveling but it has foam protectors on the bag to soften the bang.. Stopped using the normal awning when i purchased this and invested in the sides and the front, quick and easy to put up , can be put away wet . Used all year round .Just remember to leave a slope on it so the water runs off. Never had a problem with the awning rail, the van has leaked everywhere else but never the awning rail.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
We looked at the Fiamma Caravanstore and the Thule, and went for Thule in the end, mainly based on how well made and easy to use we find their bike racks and other accessories. We also bought the Thule Quickfit Awning which attaches under it to make a more conventional awning with sides.

We are incredibly happy with it :)

It takes us less than 5 minutes to open out the canopy, and then another 15 or so to attach the awning if we bother to use it (awning only takes so long because we've only done it a couple of times, mainly because in moderate weather you simply don't need it).

It was a right faff to attach it to the caravan's awning rail, mainly, as we realised after a while, because there was a little nick in the rail which was impeding it sliding on well. And we decided to do it one windy, rainy afternoon in a rush. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But, and the big but, once it's on, it's on. We've used it in the UK and France. It doesn't get unbearably hot underneath. When we had 'the wettest ever summer holiday in France' this year, we eventually put up the awning as a few things were getting wet, but for a weekend away we simply don't bother taking it.

We were away with friends who have the Fiamma version on the same caravan as us; ours seemed a little sturdier and I think the canopy rolls out slightly further too. Just remember to only buy it as long as the straight length of your awning rail!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts