Car alarm keeps going off

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Took the car in for a service (Mondeo) about three weeks ago, everything was ok.

However, on Tuesday this week, the alarm keeps going off. Tried locking it with the key but it still kept going off. At the night time, I noticed there was a month flying around in the car. I disposed of that. I also wiped the sensors. I put the red key in the door and it's been fine until just now.

I did ring the garage up but got one of those sharp intakes of breath and 'it's not a two minute job etc' when I asked how much they would charge to sort it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

Lisa

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Which Month was it Lisa??????

On a similar note my alarm goes off when I use the microwave at home. Damn annoying I have to make sure the car is well away from it.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Where your car is parked does it have the sun on it? Sometimes the motion sensors will detect the movement of air warming or cooling inside the car. If that's the case there will be a way of disabling the sensors. I take it the car has shown no signs of dull starting, indicating low battery voltage? And lastly check to see if the system has a sensitivity adjustment for detection of vehicle movement.

It might just be possible that your mechanic has altered something, perhaps unwittingly, that only needs reset to its previous setting.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site

On a similar note my alarm goes off when I use the microwave at home. Damn annoying I have to make sure the car is well away from it.
A friend of mine had a car which unlocked itself every time his wireless doorbell was used.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

It was December Graham. Very expensive time.

Lisa x

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. My husband rang the garage and said that it was fine unitl they had it in. They say they haven't caused it.......

It's not parked in the sun at home. There's on low battery or anything, everything is fine apart from the alarm.

Husband locked it an hour ago using the normal key (rather than remotely)and it hasn't gone off yet.

The garage said they would not immobilise the alarm as then the car would not start. (A chap at work had the same problem and he disconnected his alarm, don't know how he did it but he is an electrician).

I'll have to have a look at the handbook in a mo.

Lisa

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Lisa,

Do you have a digital stills camera or video camera in the car ? Or some other electronic kit - D.V.D. player or some such. My digital stills camera sets some anti-theft shop alarms off ( though only abroad ) and I have known a broadcast standard video camera set a car alarm going.

Mike E

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We did have a digital camera in there but it's in the house now. I have sat nav which I plug in but I've been using that for nearly a year and no probs. That's not left in the car either.

I'll go and have a look in the boot in a bit and see what's in there.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa best thing is to ring my work collegue Lee Hollier (Boris) cause he looks like Boris Becker,you will know him he mends your office lights. He was / is an Auto electrian before he came to work for us he specilisise in car alarms.

I will post his mobile works no to your works email address.

Glenn

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I have always had alarms fitted to my vehicles and when I took them in for service they asked if I had disengaged the alarm before they would start work. You should have an isolating switch with which you can turn the alarm on/off. It will not be placed in an obvious position but the original fitter should have told you where to look.

I am presuming that you had the alarm fitted yourself and not by a former owner.

Hope all goes well.

Ann

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Lisa

Have you got a smelly thing that you hang up in the car as they can make the Alarm go off .

When they move as they back the waves.

Mark

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it should be resolved tomorrow.

p.s. Ford service department, waste of space.

Lisa

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I used to own a Vauxhall Omega that after being serviced the alarm kept going off - it turned out that one of the bonet switch for the alarm was slightly bent over and was misalined just enough to make the alarm think that soemone had opened the bonet.

The garage fixed it free of charge and said that perhaps this happened whilst doing the service, by a technician just catching it with their body or a tool.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Lisa , I think there is a switch under the bonnet that detects if the bonnet is being opened and then set off the alarm . It is possible that the dealer has knocked this out of position slightly while sevicing your car. Should be easy to spot and easy to adjust back.It will be a switch that is pushed down when the bonnet is closed .

Let us know

Brian ;O)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian

You know I've got a grudge with car salesmen/service people so I'm sure they've done something to it.

Lisa (smiley icon thingy)

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Simple suggestion, but it caught us out with the first car we had an alarm fitted in, have you left a vent open? The air blowing in from outside will set the internal sensors off.

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello,

when i read the posting ,i thought i had a car that did that , it was a mondeo, and when i did read the rest of the post i must admit i had a little chuckle.no one ever stopped me disconnecting it in a supermarket carpark or even asked what i was doing, so is it worth having one. we sorted it by disconecting it and part exchanged for a 4x4.good luck

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Does it only do it when it's windy outside? Try closing all the air vents & setting the heating system to "re-circ" before locking the car. That way, wind from outside can't enter the cabin & upset the sensors.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Back in about 98? we bought one of the first new shaped VW Golfs to hit the UK market. The alarm went off every time it rained! VW eventually claimed that in England we had the wrong sort of rain??? Sounds nuts but they apparently did a lot of tests and eventually modified the alarm system in new models to cope with British rain. You'd think the whole world would know it rained in GB. Isn't it one of the things our country's famous for and why we have a green and pleasant land?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I used to own a Vauxhall Omega that after being serviced the alarm kept going off - it turned out that one of the bonet switch for the alarm was slightly bent over and was misalined just enough to make the alarm think that soemone had opened the bonet.

The garage fixed it free of charge and said that perhaps this happened whilst doing the service, by a technician just catching it with their body or a tool.
Hi William,

I own an Omega and the alarm kept going off,tried

various things but nothing worked.

Fortunately the car allowed you to switch off the

interior sensors,which I did and had no problems

since.

Looks like I will have to renew the internal sensors

which are attached next to front interior light.

regards john.b.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts