Car/Caravan servicing

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something,but I cant see the difference between the above.🤔

Ive been contacted by Hyundai offering me my interim service and mot,but my local caravan after sales team tell me their workshops are closed for annual servicing due to the current pandemic.
Maybe the car is classed as "essential"?

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
There are still plenty of mobile caravan service companies still working, i phoned the one we have used for the last ten years and he has managed to fit us in the end of march! He's that busy.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
It should'nt be we have ours serviced while its in storage, it saves me bringing it home, and the man who does ours always saves any parts if he has to change them.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I agree, choose wisely. Looking for a mobile engineer within the Approved Workshop Scheme ( there is a search function on their website) may be helpful, and could be essential if your van is still in warranty. Check the warranty for info as to who is an acceptable service.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something,but I cant see the difference between the above.🤔

Ive been contacted by Hyundai offering me my interim service and mot,but my local caravan after sales team tell me their workshops are closed for annual servicing due to the current pandemic.
Maybe the car is classed as "essential"?
I think you have answered your own question.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are numerous businesses still working. Only today I cancelled a visit by a kitchen installer for survey and discussions. I was also told that the showroom could open for 2-3 hours and the design consultant and demo units etc would be available, the staff would be taken off furlough for the period. Instead we’ve stopped our new kitchen installation and have amended the fitting slot to have a new one fitted in our daughters home. She has had her initial Covid vaccination so in a few more days she will be okay to progress it but no installation until June. We will now have ours fitted in the Autumn.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our caravan booked in for the end of March for a service at a dealer we have used him for some years and he was recommended to me

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank you CHESHIRECAT.
Would my van being in a storage compound be a problem to the mobile company?
We cleared it beforehand with our farmer friend who stores our caravan and our mobile service engineer is more than happy to service our caravan at the storage area, not least because the caravan is stored inside a barn.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had mine done on the storage site at the end of November. He also has a workshop on site if he requires to do work away from the weather. He’s AWS. There’s also a gin distillery on the site if things get really tough.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we seasonal we use a AWS Mobile Caravan Engineer he was recommended to us on the site to service the van but we did check him out .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our servicing man came out and replaced vacuum in toilet, said busier than ever, we now have to book annual service a year ahead to be safe,so start looking sooner rather than later

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
All depending when lockdown restrictions ease,may be able to book it into our local dealers,otherwise it will be a mobile company.
Obviously,can't leave it too long to book though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All depending when lockdown restrictions ease,may be able to book it into our local dealers,otherwise it will be a mobile company.
Obviously,can't leave it too long to book though.
When I had mine serviced in November i mentioned to the technician that I would plan an interim damp check around May time. He advised booking the damp check and its November 2021 service as the combined effects of Covid and all the new caravanners meant he was filling slots quickly. Little room for any problems that may arise during the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHESHIRECAT
May 7, 2012
Visit site
It may depend on where you are. It is not essential to have caravan serviced except to maintain the guarantee if you are not using it and the rules are not clear on that one The CAMH did send me an e mail at Christmas which suggested we could have the caravan serviced in the storage provided you gave them 24 hours notice, but I am not sure it still applies. Ours is now due in July and it is a Lunar, so the guarantee does not matter and things will have changed by then.
Will need to try and get in if weather clears up a bit as I want to move it a bit to protect the tyres.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.... It is not essential to have caravan serviced except to maintain the guarantee if you are not using it and the rules are not clear on that one ...

I disagree. The rules are quite clearly laid down in the warranties terms and conditions abut service intervals and any time slippage.

The pandemic does not change the policies requirements, after all If there were no pandemic a caravan owner might choose not to use a caravan for their own reasons - the warranty policy does not stop the time related services and inspections.

During the first lockdown some caravan manufactures who provide the warranty policies did allow for some leeway for service intervals But it they did not change the overall length of the policies and subsequent services and inspections still had to be carried out by their due dates based on the point of purchase.

If you are having difficulty in arranging a scheduled service or inspection becasue of the pandemics effects you should ask the policy provider (manufacturer) for their advice as any variance on policy is strictly in their hands.

Reactions: Dustydog and WayneS
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I disagree. The rules are quite clearly laid down in the warranties terms and conditions abut service intervals and any time slippage.

The pandemic does not change the policies requirements, after all If there were no pandemic a caravan owner might choose not to use a caravan for their own reasons - the warranty policy does not stop the time related services and inspections.

During the first lockdown some caravan manufactures who provide the warranty policies did allow for some leeway for service intervals But it they did not change the overall length of the policies and subsequent services and inspections still had to be carried out by their due dates based on the point of purchase.

If you are having difficulty in arranging a scheduled service or inspection becasue of the pandemics effects you should ask the policy provider (manufacturer) for their advice as any variance on policy is strictly in their hands.

It not clear to me why you disagree with Rawood who said.

“It is not essential to have caravan serviced except to maintain the guarantee”

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It not clear to me why you disagree with Rawood who said.

“It is not essential to have caravan serviced except to maintain the guarantee”

John
Your quotation is somewhat selective in that the rest of Raywoods sentence seems to indicate with rules not being clear it is not essential to have it serviced to maintain the guarantee. I took that to read that when makers flexed the service timescales because of Covid service periods were modified with each maker giving their own advice. But I’m not aware that this still stands given that after lockdown 1 restrictions were lifted gradually hence allowing owners to get the caravan serviced. Best thing the OP can do is check with maker/ dealer to see where he stands.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Your quotation is somewhat selective in that the rest of Raywoods sentence seems to indicate with rules not being clear it is not essential to have it serviced to maintain the guarantee. I took that to read that when makers flexed the service timescales because of Covid service periods were modified with each maker giving their own advice. But I’m not aware that this still stands given that after lockdown 1 restrictions were lifted gradually hence allowing owners to get the caravan serviced. Best thing the OP can do is check with maker/ dealer to see where he stands.

And yet I took it to read exactly what it said, even with the whole sentence.

Strange how we all interpret things differently and shows the importance of being clear in what we say and to make sure we fully understand what we are replying to.

I thought the ‘rules’ he talked about related to storage compounds, specifically CMHC ones, allowing access. As that is what it mentioned further on. And was also in line with the OP’s question.

Clearly, any relaxation to guarantee conditions would have to be agreed with the issuer. Surely we can all assume that.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts