Car Insurance

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if we need to tell our Car Insurer that we will be towing a caravan?

Caravanners have told my husband that you do not need to inform them yet I've been told by a caravanning colleague that you do!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Vicky - you do need to inform your car insurance company about towing a caravan as under basic law the van whilst being towed is covered third party under the car insurance so that should an accident occurr the aggrieved third party would be covered for damage,injury, etc. but your caravan would not be. It is advisable to also have independant insurance on your van but it is not a legal requirement at present, to cover your costs on repair/replacement in the event of an accident or theft.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Vicky - Colin is correct - Do make sure you have told your car insurer in writing - DO NOT RELY ON A TELEPHONE CALL ALONE!

I have experience of such a call being denied as ever being received by the insurer!

See Post "NFU Insurance claim".

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Since this posting I have checked my car insurance (small print!) and find that I am covered for towing a trailer (3rd party). Check your policy and it will clarify any problems.

TRENDING THREADS