car roof boxes

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Annette

I put the awning in rather than carry in caravan. When going away we normally have to break the journey at least once so its much more convenient having it tucked away until I need it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too put the awning in our top box. Whenever I pull on a site and its raining I just leave it in the top box until its ok for me to put it up, saves cluttering the van up and also when dismantling the awning in the rain you can just throw it into the top box and not worry about ruining the vans interior. Most top boxes have a max weight of about 50KG so be carefull.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we tried one got fed up with climbing on the door steps and seats trying to load and unload, and decided the more room for storage you have the more junk you take....so it was retired to the very back of the garage...;-)

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Its strange that Paul as i have also noticed better fuel consumption when towing with the roof box on, i thought i was going daft but some body said the box was creating better air flow over the caravan. I wonder if anybody on here knows whether this is true. Like most others on here we also put the awning in ours.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its strange that Paul as i have also noticed better fuel consumption when towing with the roof box on, i thought i was going daft but some body said the box was creating better air flow over the caravan. I wonder if anybody on here knows whether this is true. Like most others on here we also put the awning in ours.
I will be using a roof box for the first time this year when towing, mainly to save weight in the boot of the car, and therefore lessen the load on the rear suspension. Althogh I had a coorect nose weight last year, with the awning in the boot it was a definate 'nose down' attitude on the van. I will put the awning in the roofbox and it can stay there until needed. Good point about somewhere to stow it when wet to save spoling the boot interior. I did wonder if I would get a decrease in fuel consumption. The box must act as a spoiler and assist airflow over the van, just like the roof mounted spoilers that were commonplace a number of years ago. Could be worth using one for this alone.

Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts