Car towing another car on a trailer

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am asking thus question here as I don't know where else to ask. Maybe you lot can send me else where if you think I would get a better response somewhere else.

My question is ....

i was just wondering if a insignia or v70 or passat could pull a ifor Williams car trailer and a golf gti, astra vxr or a nissan gtr. Of so is it legal and safe

thanks

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I don't know, but you can work it out with some research. Find out the kerbweight and maximum towing weight of the towcar. This will be on the manufacturers website if you're lucky. Find out the weight of an Ifor Williams car trailer and then add the kerbweight of the car being towed.(minus 70kg as the car being towed won't have a driver). The weight if the trailer and car on the trailer combined should be NO MORE than the kerbweight of the tow car and LESS THAN the maximum towing weight of the towcar.
As you are only 15 and not going to be actually towing, these calculations will be close enough for your interest.
mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Mikaroony said:
Thanks mel

As for woodlands camper, I wanted to ask a question and I saw this section was for NON CARAVAN gossip. I thought I would be ok.
It is ok, you haven't broken any rules and you have just as much right to use this forum as anybody else, so ignore negative comments and ask away.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Mikaroony said:
My question is ....
i was just wondering if a insignia or v70 or passat could pull a ifor Williams car trailer and a golf gti, astra vxr or a nissan gtr. Of so is it legal and safe
thanks

NO!!!

because :- (a golf gti, astra vxr or a nissan gtr) would have a U/L weight of around 1500kg,combined with a car transporter weight of around 800kg so roughly 2000kg, towed weight this is 4x4 terratory, the ( insignia or v70 or passat) would have a tow limit of around 1800kg,
now one does see such combinations in service stations !! but these are usually stripped out race cars that are artificialy lightend and weigh only a fraction of the road weight.

TRENDING THREADS