Car tyre replacement

Jun 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

I am trying to decide whether my rear tyres need changed. They are the original Michelin XH1 approx 4.5 yrs old with 3-4mm tread left. They look old and are covered in small cracks on the sidewall and in between the treads.

I feel that I should change them as I have a 600mile motorway run at Christmas with a full load and don't want to take any risks with the kids on board.

Would you all be inclined to change them or am I worrying too much??

Thanks,

Andy.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
generally cracked sidewalls will fail an mot.3mm should be considered a minimum for driving in the wet.for the cost of a set of tyres id change them,theyre all that keep you on the tarmac.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good advice from Craig, you may get there on them, but will you get back? Why gamble with not only your life and the passengers but also those on the road around you. Just for the "peace of mind" a new set are worth the money.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are you worrying too much?? well, you are clearly worried, otherwise you would not have asked.

Simple answer really,change the tyres!!

Ask yourself how much your families security is worth?

Jun 13, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I had decided to buy new tyres earlier today but was getting conficting advice from different tyre fitters. Some told me that Michelin tyres 'just go like that' and that they are ok. Others said that it was up to me but that cracked tyres may fail the mot and that I should probably change them. Your replies have reinforced my decision to change them.

Thanks again.

Andy

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
In similar vein, how do you guys decide when to change your caravan tyres. Mine have been on my van since it was made in 2000, and there are no obvious signs of cracking, bulging or other damage and the previous owner did not do that many miles. Yet the perceived wisdom is that they shd be changed after five years. Should I change them or wait for signs of damage?Secondly, any good tips for protecting them over winter, and thirdly should the pressure (a massive 85 psi) be maintained over winter?

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
tyres have a date code that not many poeple know about,but any tyre fitter will show you it.tyres go out of date five years after manufacture due to the compound breaking down(tyres arent rubber theyre a polymer).this breaking down cant be seen but can cause radical overheating of the carcass and subsequent failure.the best way to protect your tyres over winter is to remove them,let out some of the pressure and coat them with a product such as armorall to prevent them cracking.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, caravan tyres should be changed at the 5 year mark, and will probably show no signs of wear, however, they are subjected to different deterioration.

Car tyres, if the car is in regular use, are never left standing in exactly the same place for days on end, and are constantly flexing, and usually do not last more than 5 years anyway.

Caravan tyres can stand still for months on end, and can be subjected to sunlight on one set of wheels for long periods of time.

Sunlight degrades rubber and makes it brittle, hence the cracks in sidewalls.

The running stresses are greater on caravan tyres due to the relatively primitive suspension, and run at higher pressures than car tyres.

Signs of deterioration may not become noticeable until the inevitable blow out. Protection can be given in a number of ways.

Using wheel covers is a good way of stopping prolonged sun exposure, raising the van on winter wheels, or using old wheels and tyres for winter storage, and storing the good wheels and tyres inside the van, or in the garage(not standing on the tyre tread), and maintaining at the correct pressure .

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Colin, caravan tyres should be changed at the 5 year mark, and will probably show no signs of wear, however, they are subjected to different deterioration.

Car tyres, if the car is in regular use, are never left standing in exactly the same place for days on end, and are constantly flexing, and usually do not last more than 5 years anyway.

Caravan tyres can stand still for months on end, and can be subjected to sunlight on one set of wheels for long periods of time.

The running stresses are greater on caravan tyres due to the relatively primitive suspension, and run at higher pressures than car tyres.

Signs of deterioration may not become noticeable until the inevitable blow out. Protection can be given in a number of ways.

Using wheel covers is a good way of stopping prolonged sun exposure, raising the van on winter wheels, or using old wheels and tyres for winter storage, and storing the good wheels and tyres inside the van, or in the garage(not standing on the tyre tread), and maintaining at the correct pressure .
Thanks, looks like I'd better get them changed for next season. Are tyre dealers best (and generally knowledgeable about caravans?) or are caravan dealers the better option?

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site

Damian, you obviously know a lot about tyres, can u advise on another little query I have? When I returned from a New Forest site recently, the tread of all my tyres contained firmly embedded gravel/small stones. Not the odd one you'd expect but an awful lot. I spent an hour flicking them out with a small screwdriver, and just wonder whether I was wasting my time! Is there a risk the stones would eventually penetrate the tyre or would they come out in the fullness of time??

TRENDING THREADS