car tyres-budget or premium?

Oct 24, 2006
Visit site
I need to replace my two front tyres on the car, are budget tyres any good or is it a false economy in the long run. What are peoples views on this?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Micheal,

Most cars these days are front wheel drive, and so the tyres on the front axle are having to cope with some very demanding tasks and conditions.

I personally will not fit Budget tyres to the front axle on my vehicles. though I will consider them for rear axles where the conditions are less demanding

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
I never go for budget tyres - if your brakes fail you can steer, if your steering fails you can brake, if your tyres fail you can do neither.

I don't got for top line tyres but don't trust budget's too well - plus they don't seem to last as long and are probably a false economy. A mondeo I bought a few years ago was fitted with budget tyres and they lasted only 8000 miles.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael,

It's not a black or white decision - there are many, many shades of grey in tyre selection.

For example, I'm sure you are aware of premium brands like Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, and Bridgestone (and others) and these makers have a pecking order - and then there's the different tyre models in their ranges.

You need to be quite specific about your needs - tyre life or grip, wet weather grip or noise levels - and then pick the right tyre for you with the help of an authoritative internet tyre review.

I'd suggest looking at www.tyretest.com

Robert

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It's a simple decision for me; I would not compromise on something so intimately associated with my own, my families and other road users safety.

It's not that your talking of saving vast amounts of money, probably only a

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
On my cars i always used the type the manufacturs supplied from new. on my business Transit i went for budget tyres always and never had any problems , and these done around 40 thousand miles a year carrying maximum weights.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
I have been using the same small independent tyre fitter now for nearly 20 years and am guided by him, yes there are certain budget tyres I will use , but there are also ones I wont. I leave the choice to the fitter as he knows repeat business is dependent on the quality and service and has never let me down. Big chains may at times look cheap but they are not always, as an example the tyres for the current tow car are half the price at my local fitter than the large chains, strangely when you tell them they offer to price match, but if you dont tell them they are willing to let you part with the full price.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On the basis we are tuggers with a considerable sum of money wrapped in our rigs and of course our beloved families and pets on board why risk everything on cheap tyres that may not perform as well as premium ones.

Are we really talking about such a big, big difference in price??

The only thing between you and a safe journey is your tyres. Go for the best every time.

Chers

Alan

Oct 24, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to get them changed tomorrow, local fitter quoted for pirellis for not too much more than budget ones.

Many Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most of the premuim brands also market lower priced tyre under a different name, and it will probably be made in europe within a good QA/QC regime. There are numerous Chinese tyre brands some of which are good, other I would not touch. Example my wife's Mondeo had Wanlis fitted to the front when we bought it.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Michael,

as John L pointed out budget tyres are ok on the rear axle of a front wheel drive vehicle. I certainly advocate using a better quality tyre on the front drive and steering axle as you depend upon being able to both steer, drive and brake your way out of any emergencey situation without being let down. After all, it isn't until you have to test the limit of the car's grip on the road that you find out just how good your tyres are.

I'm fortunate enough to have the welsh autograss champion as a tyre dealer in my area, he has intimate first hand knowledge of tyres and as such recommended me to use Hankook tyres for my Laguna. These cost

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Somehow my eralier reply got truncated. I said that on the back set on my wife's Mondeo were Nankings. When you look at Nankings approach they sub-contract manufacture to up to 50 smaller suppliers. I would think that maintaining QA/QC in that environment is virtually impossible. So off came the Nankings and on went two Falkens, which are a part of the Dunlop Sumitito group and are first line tyres made in Japan.

I would advise against premuim on the front and budget on the back as when you now change tyres the companies recommend having the best traed on the rear for FWD cars. This is because the front can still get steerage and traction whilst the back are free wheeling. No point in getting the front where you need it if the back slides out and you lose control.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Other Clive is correct - many tyre depots will not fit new tyres to the front only, and manufacturers' recommendations are not to do so.

To have new premium tyres on the front and worn budget tyres on the rear is an extreme case of what should be avoided, and possibly enough to get a front wheel drive car to spin on a wet road if the rear loses grip before the front.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
I think fitting cheap tyres to the rear of a front wheel drive car and good ones to the front may catch some drivers out.

I personally always put new tyres on the front and my old ones to the back in an attempt to reduce understeer and allow me a little lift off oversteer into a bend.

Whilst I enjoy this handling trait if you are not aware of what is going to happen this may catch out an inexperienced driver just at the moment they most need the rear to follow the front.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
in the great tyre test on auto express a few years ago ,2 tyres came out tops the winner was Vredestein and second came the budget brand Barum ,a lot of the big name brands were named and shamed

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Barum are made by Continental so their QA/QC should be good. What you will be giving up by going for a budget tyre such as this will be the latest technology such as dual layer wear depth, improvements in tread compunds, reduced noise, and lower rolling resistance. In effect you will be getting a well made tyre that represents 5 year old technology..... but that is probably okay for many drivers. There are several tyre review websites out there which can help to inform decisions and it is not difficult to find out whether a budget brand is made by a well known premium manufacturer. Most premium tyre makers have a budget brand.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to be contradictory, but having a pair of budget tyres on the rear of a front wheel drive car is perfectly acceptable.

If the rear of the car steps out of line (skidding due to excess speed in corners or agressive steering), the correct use of "opposite lock" on the steering and throttle control will bring the vehicle back on coarse. All the rear wheels do is rotate in the direction that the car is driving and do approximately 40% of braking force. The front tyres have to do the driving,steering and majority of braking. A lot of average joe drivers will through "panic reaction" end up braking hard while in a corner. Try this with budget tyres and you'll lock the wheels and skid off to the outside of your corner, higher quality tyres have far better grip on the tamac and so will absorb some of the harsh steering/braking conditions. This still does not compensate fully for driver error and so you the driver will still need to understand your car's behaviour and drive within it's and your capability.

Steve L.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Without wishing to cause offence - as a rule, I'm quite happy to post my view without feeling the need to turn a discussion onto an argument, but for safety's sake I have to say that advice to put the better tyres on the front is dangerous - not in my opinion, but that of, for example, Michelin -

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-van-4x4/less-worn-tyres-rear/20070314172074.html
..and Kleber

http://www.klebertyres.co.uk/KleberUK/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=8032005184616&lang=EN
and numerous tyre retailers whose advice is easy to find via Google.

By all means put the better tyres on the front if you want, but please don't advise others whose driving skills you don't know to do so.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ive read with interest the advice given with regards to either using budget or premium brands.

I have always used pirell 6000 on all wheels,(plus spare) never ever had any problem whatever, couple of years ago driving up the A1 in the Leeds area towing the van when the weather was at its worst could not see the road surface complety awash with heavy rain , the tyres held the road like glue no signs of any aquaplaneing.

With regards to prices always ring round you will be surprised what the differnce prices are for the the same brand name tyre.

Royston

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
When I was poor and hard up, I bought "budget" tyres which actually only lasted for half the mileage of the decent second-hand Pirelli's which were on the car when I got it and I had just worn out. So, when it comes to it, is it really worth saving

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts