car vs 4x4

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris, whichever you choose, you'll need a tug which ways in at at least 1535kg, which will give you an 85% figure of 1305kg to match your van. Nosewieght is also an issue, as ideally the 'van should be towed with a 7% noseweight of 91kg - which is well above the average for most cars, but within most 4x4's capacity, but do check these figures before you buy. A big saloon or estate will be cheaper to run than a 4x4, if you use a lot of CL's and intend to caravan all year round, then there's nothing to beat a 4x4 for getting off wet grass. If you do a lot of solo motoring then a car may be better, generally 4x4's offer better towing stability due to their much higher kerbweights and torquey diesel engines - it's all a matter of choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've towed with a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 diesel for 5 years and its fine. I've just bought my third one a brand new 2.5 CRD Limited model and tow a Senator Vermont. I am changing to a Vogue 420 in December well within the 85% limit.

Hi Chris

Back in the spring, I bought the new shape Ford Maverick 3.0 V6 Auto. It has proven to be an awesome tow car and they are relitively inexpensive to buy second-hand. Towing my Eldiss EX 2000 Typhoon at motorway speed limits it's only turning over 1,900 rpm. They are extremely well equipped with full leather interior and electric everything and to top it all off the Maverick drives and handles like a luxury saloon car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The current Vectra Estate is 1557 kg with the new 1.9 CDTi 150PS / 232lbft engine. It's longer wheelbase than the Vectra saloon or hatchback which makes it even more stable as a towcar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris. Like Tony, I tow with a Jeep Cherokee. Currently a 2.8CRD Limited. Prior to that 2.5CRD Sport. Prior to that Freelander Diesel. Both Jeeps are great tugs for a heavy van. Freelander struggled, though it was the old version not TD4 with BMW engine. The 2.8 Jeep in particular is good because of the auto-box making towing very relaxing especially when used with the cruise control.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
chris, i am at present selling my audi quattro avant sport, with 4 wheel drive and 180 bhp, on 32,000 miles it is a fabulous tow car, max tow is 1500kg, i am replacing with a 2.2 deisel xtrail sve on the 1st dec next, i need the xtrails extra weight to tow my new van, and doubt that it will compare to the audi but at the price the xtrail is good value. if you are interested in the audi give me a ring on 01709 363555

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris

I've towed for 45 years of which 39 have been 4x4. You'll have a job to beat the X-trail (Diesel of course) for comfort, reliability and sheer joy of using.

Peter T

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts