Caraflo Swan Neck Single Lever Mixer Tap

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
100_0949_zpsftpmy7ho.jpg

Whilst checking the size of the fixing nut today I realized that, although the nut is brass, the threaded part is actually chromed plastic. I therefore think that the wobbly tap pillar in the van is caused by the upper threaded part fracturing at the shoulder, possibly caused by a knock to the pillar or stress from original over-tightening. :( Just need to get back over to the van in storage to work out how to replace it.

Looks like the new tap has a threaded part above the bench whereas the old tap is NOT threaded and appears to have some form of glue on it, but the glue has hardened and the glued joint broken. As such I've left the old tap (saves the need to disturb plumbing joints) and put thread tap on to stiffen the joint. I'll think about re-gluing at a later date.

With bowl removed
100_0958_zpsvg6sts7h.jpg

Straight shank
100_0959_zpsppmewe4m.jpg

The hole in the shank doesn't seem to be for any purpose.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
.........The hole in the shank doesn't seem to be for any purpose.

Just a thought.........could the hole be meant for a grub screw and this has come loose and fallen out causing your loose tap problem.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mmmm. Clearly the new tap appears to be a better engineered design than the original.
You've removed the sink. Why not go the whole hog and fit the new tap in its entirety :unsure: Seems a wise move :)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We Woosied out of touching any pipe connections (as we touched some radiator taps at home this week and now have a leak), replaced the sink and have put the van back in storage. :( If needs be in the future then I will replace the tap in the van.

I think a thin piece of card from a cereal packet or some electrical tap might stop the wobble. ;)

Edit - forgot to mention that on the existing tap the pre-formed tails are about 3 foot long, whereas the tails on the replacement tap are only 1 foot long and exchange would therefore be needed. There was no guarantee that the tails were interchangeable at the tap end.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I suspect the pipe to tap connections are the same size. Have you thought about another mid joint?
Maybe you could use the WoosieTask Force at the next Fest :)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
We Woosied out of touching any pipe connections (as we touched some radiator taps at home this week and now have a leak), replaced the sink and have put the van back in storage. :( If needs be in the future then I will replace the tap in the van.

I think a thin piece of card from a cereal packet or some electrical tap might stop the wobble. ;)

Edit - forgot to mention that on the existing tap the pre-formed tails are about 3 foot long, whereas the tails on the replacement tap are only 1 foot long and exchange would therefore be needed. There was no guarantee that the tails were interchangeable at the tap end.

I recently replaced a mixer tap in the kitchen because I could not find replacement valve seals, it should have been an easy job but turned out to be a PITA, longer tails were also required, toolstationscrewfix sorted that out at a realistic price, damned near had the entire kitchen apart to resolve the problem.

The inconveniencecost that we pay for compactedspace saving devices is questionable overall, I am fortunate to have the appropriate tools, but reverting to being a contortionist to change a tap does make me spout words like 'ooyah' and 'ya-besom') :silly:

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I suspect the pipe to tap connections are the same size. Have you thought about another mid joint?
Maybe you could use the WoosieTask Force at the next Fest :)

The thread tape made no difference to the wobble, so I think the next trial will be a piece of thin card eg from a cereal packet. :eek:hmy: The pipe to tap connections may be the same but that involves unclipping and removing the pipes at the back of the cupboard and withdrawing the whole assembly in order to unscrew the pipes in order to check. As said earlier the tap still works, albeit wobbly, so the less intervention at present is the easiest option. :whistle:

Thank you for the offer of mobilising the Woosie Task Force, but we'll see how it goes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts