Caravan Alarm Problems

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My 1997 Avondale Landranger is fitted with a "Keen Electronics" "Concept Kel" Alarm. The instruction leaflet says that this is trigered, when turned on by:

(1) Coupling/uncoupling 12N plug

(2) Operating car footbrake when coupled

(3) Entering the caravan (infra-red sensor)

(4) Winding the rear steady

All of these features operate appart from (4). I have spoken to Avondale who insist that there should be a clearly visible sensor on the offside rear steady and that it must be faulty. I have looked closely at the offside rear steady and can see nothing that might be a sensor?! It looks exactly like the nearside rear leg!!

What am I looking for?

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this type of system?

I have become interested in this because I am thinking of switching to the Caravan Club for my insurance and to get the security discount I need to have an alarm operated by a rear leg sensor or tilt sensor.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Incidentally does anyone know it is possible to fit a loulder siren as the current 110db one seems rather quiet. Or is it worn out?

Thanks Tim

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
120dB is sometimes quoted as the "Threshold of Pain", so 110dB should be noticeably loud. So your sounder is probably damaged and you may want to get either a replacement or a louder one.

Assuming that this alarm is a wired alarm, then you should be able to see a small sensor attached to the leg or screw, and from isnide the van you should be able to see a wire (probably 4 core) running from near the leg to the alarm.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim

Obviously I cannot tell you whether or not your sensor is present, but what I can tell you is that the people at Keen Electronics are wonderful and helpful. I have a 2002 Concept Kel alarm and have had a couple of minor faults which were succesfully remedied after consultation with Malcolm Keen. He supplied parts return of post on both occasions. And no, I'm not on commission.

Tel: 01296 339014

Hope this helps.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lads.

I've now located the sensor on the nearside rear leg, not the offside as Avondale Customer Service (1?) insisted. I'm going to try cleaning it but if that does't work I'll be taking up the suggestion of contacting Keen Electronics.

An extra question - sorry if this sounds silly! Where is the siren likely to be located. The sound seems to be loudest by the fridge grills, could it be behind the fridge or under the 'van where there is a red box?!

Thanks again for the advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
your sensor box should be just in front of the off side steady,a small rectangular shaped white plastic box.

the siren itself should be a small car horn type siren under the front vbed box usually near to the battery connection

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim,

The concept Kel sysstem is great and so is the back up service from Keen electronics( again I don't work for them ) The system only has one minor flaw, that is should your main battery discharge and it swops to 9V back up battery you may find that your remote will not recognise the main unit. Always make sure you switch your alarm unit to off before disconnecting the caravan battery.That way the remote will rcognise your main unit as long as you have a back up battery in your systen (E.G PP3 9v)

I had a problem a few months ago where a faulty van 12v battery failed and it went to 9v back up, but the van was is storage and did not notice till I visited the van about 2 weeks later. But Keen electronics sorted it out and re-programmed both alarm and fobs once they had been returned to them within 3 days, When I say 3 days that was me sending the bits and them returning them via post.

Excellent Co and great back up.

Please let me know about upgrading the siren as I think that my siren is a bit feeble, which is mounted a the front of the van, but looks easy enough to change. 150 db might be the answer!!!!!!!

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts