Caravan Alarm

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
We have a Bailey Pegasus 462 and cannot turn the intruder alarm off when connected either to the battery or 240 volt. I have had to take the 5amp fuse out to deactivate it. There is nothing in the manual about the alarm so I am not sure what make it is also I can't see how if needed you can change the batteries in the alarm fob used activate/deactivate it. Is there a way of resetting the system ? Any suggestions on this would appreciated. Thank you.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have an alarm in my Phoenix. I checked it worked when purchased new. Never been switched on since. I reckon they are as much use as a car alarm. No-one pays the slightest attention to them.
Personal view of course, but formed after 30 years as a copper.

Reactions: DaveA1 and Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My alarm is two fold.It detects an intruder but more importantly detects movement. On my Insurance I get a substantial discount for having the alarm system. If I don’t turn it on can I still expect my Insurers to pay for my loss🤔

Reactions: Buckman
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We had a 462, a friend down the road has one now.
First check the battery in the PIR on the offside front internal pillar.
Second, to change the battery in the fob, remove the split ring and door key, and prise the fob open with a penknife. Replace the fob battery (CR2025 from memory.)
If none of these work talk to Tracker tech support who will tell you how to pair the fob to the alarm - they do fail sometimes.
Other than that there is a 12V 7Ah gel lead acid battery hidden - I won't say where - and the battery may have boiled or the alarm unit memory cell (another Li-Ion) may have departed this world. You may have to take it to a Bailey dealer to show you where the alarm unit is hidden - I'm not telling you on here!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My alarm is two fold.It detects an intruder but more importantly detects movement. On my Insurance I get a substantial discount for having the alarm system. If I don’t turn it on can I still expect my Insurers to pay for my loss🤔
How is anyone ever going to prove if it was switched on or off? It's no.t like a tracker where that can be proved.
My home insurer asks if I have locking window handles and an alarm, the answer to those specific questions is yes. I have never been asked if I use them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
How is anyone ever going to prove if it was switched on or off? It's no.t like a tracker where that can be proved.
My home insurer asks if I have locking window handles and an alarm, the answer to those specific questions is yes. I have never been asked if I use them.
Uberrimae Fides.
My CAMC policy says “
2. The Tilt/Movement/Corner Steady Sensor alarm system and all locks shall have been put into full and effective operation at all times when the caravan is not being towed or when it is parked and not occupied.”
Are you advocating I give an answer to suit the success of the claim?

Reactions: Hutch
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Uberrimae Fides.
My CAMC policy says “
2. The Tilt/Movement/Corner Steady Sensor alarm system and all locks shall have been put into full and effective operation at all times when the caravan is not being towed or when it is parked and not occupied.”
I tend to err on the side of total honesty with insurers, they will use any excuse to avoid paying a claim. So I've told them we don't use the alarm at all and don't have a tracker, it made no difference to the price so why give them the opportunity to wriggle out of paying a claim?

Telling them you use something when you d3ont in order to justify a claim seems tantamount to fraud, and I beleive insurers are pretty hot on that.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Uberrimae Fides.
My CAMC policy says “
I think Mr Plod's question is how can the insurance company prove that the alarm was switched off? I doubt if they could prove it either way and rely on the honesty of the person making the claim. Probably why the discount for the alarm is so minimal?

We don't have that issue as we have an active Tracker which is linked to the alarm so in our case they can probably tell if it was switched on or not.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our Abbey came with alarm system infra red with tilt sensor with key fob operation we told our insurance got a discount but we only use ours sometimes when we left it in caravan storage . or on our driveway overnight .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think Mr Plod's question is how can the insurance company prove that the alarm was switched off? I doubt if they could prove it either way and rely on the honesty of the person making the claim. Probably why the discount for the alarm is so minimal?

We don't have that issue as we have an active Tracker which is linked to the alarm so in our case they can probably tell if it was switched on or not.
I see you have said it is an Active tracker now. Rather than Pro active.
Our lone debated thing. 🤔

But saying that you have pointed out that the system you have "knows" that it is switched on. So the tracker company record system activity.

I must admit I stopped my subscription to My tracker as it wasn't worth it. Mrs H would not want the van back. I am not brave enough to argue against that.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I see you have said it is an Active tracker now. Rather than Pro active.
Our lone debated thing. 🤔

But saying that you have pointed out that the system you have "knows" that it is switched on. So the tracker company record system activity.

I must admit I stopped my subscription to My tracker as it wasn't worth it. Mrs H would not want the van back. I am not brave enough to argue against that.
Was your tracker a reactive tracker or a pro active tracker? Hopefully I think you know what I mean with my reference to Pro active so lets us not go down the route of being pedantic. LOL!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Was your tracker a reactive tracker or a pro active tracker? Hopefully I think you know what I mean with my reference to Pro active so lets us not go down the route of being pedantic. LOL!
Mine was as you say "Pro Active", The early 2010 era, Tracker. Fitted as standard by Coachman on the VIP, dropped, as standard in 2013. !!!!
But as you say, the tracker company would known at anytime if the alarm was switched on or off. Low battery or battery removed.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

CAMC give me a £55 discount. I have no wish to endorse anything on an open Forum which legally is an untruth. What others choose to do is for their conscience alone.

TRENDING THREADS