Caravan and Camping club CLs

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Like most people we are trying to reduce the cost of our caravanning we are both pensioners on a limited income and find the increasing cost of living threatening to put an end to our hobby we also now find site fees getting more and more expensive.We are the type of couple who do not need a bar/club or a swimming pool on site.We enjoy peace and quiet and a good book. Our question is are all caravan and camping club CLs really basic ie no toilets and no electricity? We could get around the no electricity by useing a portable generator (is this allowed)? The no toilet bit would be more difficult.Can you give a rough guide also of the average cost per night? there is just the two of us the car and caravan and we dont caravan in high season.Thanks in advance for any information given.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gilbert

Camping and Caravanning 5 van sites are called certified sites (c.s') and while some will be little more than a field with a tap and elsan emptying point many others have showers, toilets and e.h.u.

We've started to use c.s' this year and have been pleasantly surprised at what's on offer for a modest pitch fee.

The best thing to do is to have a look online at the siteseeker webpage for certificated sites

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gilbert

Camping and Caravanning 5 van sites are called certified sites (c.s') and while some will be little more than a field with a tap and elsan emptying point many others have showers, toilets and e.h.u.

We've started to use c.s' this year and have been pleasantly surprised at what's on offer for a modest pitch fee.

The best thing to do is to have a look online at the siteseeker webpage for certificated sites

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry about the link Gilbert, it might be better to type the address into your web browser.

SWMBO is fussy about the cleanliness of the site facillities ( as all women are) and so far we haven't been disappointed.

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Sorry about the link Gilbert, it might be better to type the address into your web browser.

SWMBO is fussy about the cleanliness of the site facillities ( as all women are) and so far we haven't been disappointed.
Thanks parksy did as you suggested and got through to the site put in a few different areas that we enjoy visiting and found a few CLs that look worth trying. I think this is the true spirit of caravanning and it restores your faith in humanity.Thanks again Parksy.

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
The CL's are the only good thing about the C & C C, and although it pains me to say it, worth (even if the only thing) being a member for.

We have stayed on dozens of them, and are usually between

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gilbert,

We are staying at CLs more and more. Some are basic and some are well equipped - and this is usually reflected in the price.

We always choose one with a toilet and electric hook-up, and usually a shower.

The last CL we stayed at in Cornwall a few weeks ago cost

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Martin,

It was Cheesewring Farm. It's in a lovely spot with direct access to Bodmin Moor.

The approach roads aren't for the faint-hearted though!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Cheesewring is a lovely site IF you've got a manoeuvrable outfit - the recommended route is a bit narrow in places and the farm drive has some tight bends.

The site is on a considerable slope, so much so that our 2-berth's rear steadies weren't extended at all - longer caravans may need blocks both sides to get level.

The site has direct access to a disused mineral railway line so there's plenty of nice walks without getting on the steep stuff. The local pub does excellent food. If you drive up the private road to the unmanned tv mast, the views are outstanding.

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
We have four children aged between 3-13 and use CLs as a matter of course. We would struggle to pay commercial site fees regularly - once the cost of children and pitch fees have been added in.

Although we use a CC site once a year in the summer for a week, (mainly because the children meet lots of other children and have fun on their own), we then move onto a CL for the remaining time. And throughout the year use CLs just to get out and about.

Some CLs are better than others in terms of the standard of toilet and shower facilities where they're available and I wouldn't rely on them being clean or warm to use. But without fail, every site has been pleasant and much more liberating than staying on a commercial site. There is normally plenty of space available and many have more than 5 pitches - so bearing in mind the maximum 5 van limit,you havbe a choice of where to pitch too. Where there are no toilet failities, then you can imagine with 6 on board, the van toilet needs emptying a lot more often, but this is probably the only real downside for us and obviously a result of the number of us on board. But I would still recommend them to anyone.

Gerard

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Rupert & Roger, thanks for the replies - another one for the list of possibles.

Seems that there are a few of us who are considering CL's for the first time to cut down on costs.

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Rupert & Roger, thanks for the replies - another one for the list of possibles.

Seems that there are a few of us who are considering CL's for the first time to cut down on costs.
Thanks to all who responded to my questions.I will certainly try CLs next season as they could be of great value to bringing down costs but still allowing us to continue caravanning.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We are big users of 5 van sites, CS in CCC and CL in CC. Both clubs offer a search facility on their web sites where you can specify what you want and it will list only those that fit. Take care with price though, they are going up. You might also pay for awning, dog and extra car- check.

Your generator will be very unpopular- people using 5 van sites want quiet.

Give it a whorl and meet lovely new friends as well.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
We mainly use CL's or CS's too and a list of our ventures since we bought the caravan can be found here - http://www.legsmaniac.org.uk/caravanning_chronicles.php - you will see that we've never paid more than

Nov 7, 2006
Visit site
We,ve been using CL,S and CS for several years now. They are so reasonable in price its a shame not to give them a try. We have 2 which we love mostly one in Wales and the other at Garstang. If theres no hook up then its best to invest in a solar panel or jenny we have both. We also use the temperary Holiday sites and go to DA meets when possible we use the Jenny to charge up my electric wheelchair and the solar panels work the caravan battery etc. Well worth giving both of these a try and save yourself money as well. Go on enjoy the experience.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
I fail to see how inventing in a genny and/or a solar panel saves money. Neither of them are cheap for a half decent one. I thought about getting a solar panel but when I saw the price of them and worked out how many nights I would have to go away for on non-EHU to even recoup the cost, I decided to forget it. It was far cheaper to invest in a second battery - 65 quid - a cost which can be recouped far earlier or stay on EHU sites. After all, the difference in price between non-EHU and EHU isn't much.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I've only experienced anyone using a generator once and that was at Black Knowl. It only happened on our first night because, thank God, he left at 6 the following morning. The incessant noise was driving me daft. This was only my second trip caravanning and I was beginning to wonder what I'd let myself in for after taking up vanning for the solitude and peace of the countryside.

Sorry Erica but generators should only be used if you are the only van on site or the other vans are using them because of no EHU.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree LB as we had the same experience this year. There is no way generators can be deemed acceptable unless as stated, you are the sole caravan on a site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts