Caravan and camping course for beginners

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
So, we went on a training course at the caravan and camping club at the weekend. It was a course for beginners or caravanners with little experience and I have to say it was absolutely brilliant, met some lovely people, learnt a few tips but more importantly feel alot more confident being able to tow. Would highly recommend it. Now, the adventure begins in a week where we go and collect our first caravan and have a three week holiday!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You will probably feel very nervous the first few trips. Try and make a list for yourself, on the basics, and your partner, to double check on. I alway forget to take down the TV antenna.
Enjoy your trips.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Hutch. There are many lists, check list for hitching, check list for maneuvering (tips from the training course at the weekend.) A gadgets list and so on. ๐Ÿ˜‚
Not just those list, don't forget the legs for the Cadac BBQ, your wallet when your just getting pitched up for the night at Dover for a 4 week tour of France. 4 hr round trip. The EHU cable, I now have three. This list goes on.
Just chill out and take it slow. Don't push it to get off pitch. Aim for 11, am. If your before that great.
Enjoy every trip, even the wet ones.

Reactions: Caravan newbie
May 7, 2012
Visit site
A training course makes complete sense and well done for taking this. Most people do manage without one but it does mean that you know how to do things correctly and could mean you avoid costly mistakes. If you have bought from a dealer most will either give you a discount or have a beginners package which may help with the cost. Calor Gas may be a problem to get at the moment, but if it is you can use Flogas, but I would make sure you get this before setting off.

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
A training course makes complete sense and well done for taking this. Most people do manage without one but it does mean that you know how to do things correctly and could mean you avoid costly mistakes. If you have bought from a dealer most will either give you a discount or have a beginners package which may help with the cost. Calor Gas may be a problem to get at the moment, but if it is you can use Flogas, but I would make sure you get this before setting off.
For us it was about being as well prepared as we could be to give us more reassurance and confidence when we start our adventures. The rest will come with experience.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
For us it was about being as well prepared as we could be to give us more reassurance and confidence when we start our adventures. The rest will come with experience.
Very well done you, you're wise and you won't regret it, I did the CaMH course too a couple of years ago for very similar reasons. I think that unless people have experienced friends etc for guidance it should be thought of as an essential. What's covered is brilliant, although I'm still I feel a novice (still learning) it was a massive help to me and deffo money well spent. This is a link to a thread I started after my course:
Congratulations - hope you have infinate fun times with your caravan!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I also did a caravan course it gave me the confidence how to put everything into practice and take it nice and steady until you get use to it .
i use to practice my reversing into our caravan storage pitch and it help me on a service pitch at a site,(but you might have and motor mover fitted that does it)
So have a fantastic time on your first trip and good luck

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looking back on it now, the first caravan I ever towed I simply hitched up, connected the lights and off I went towing probably an overloaded caravan behind a Peugeot 404 diesel pickup. The vehicle carried 6 adults including myself and was fully loaded. We carried enough food and drink to last us at least a month as no shops within 40- 50 miles. Would never consider doing that these days.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly we were lucky as both sets of our parents had caravans which gave us a head start and traffic was lighter then. Our first was only 10 ft which was I think far easier to learn on than almost anything you get today. Today the courses look to be a good idea as things are very different for newcomers.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Looking back on it now, the first caravan I ever towed I simply hitched up, connected the lights and off I went towing probably an overloaded caravan behind a Peugeot 404 diesel pickup. The vehicle carried 6 adults including myself and was fully loaded. We carried enough food and drink to last us at least a month as no shops within 40- 50 miles. Would never consider doing that these days.
Really๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

TRENDING THREADS