Caravan bathroom

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Thinking of swapping our current van soon and thinking about going for one with a larger bathroom instead of one where you stand in the shower tray to use the loo.

I have read the PC mag from cover to cover for inspiration.

Any views please.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Large bathroom is a waste of space, you have limited ammount of space on tow and use the bathroom for minutes each day. Unless you spend hours in their whats the space can be batter used as living space.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Sorry chris I can't agree with your comments. I love my end bathroom/changing room in the caravan. Everything is to hand and there is a large wardrobe, drawers, cupboards, etc. Wouldn't change it for anything.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry chris I can't agree with your comments. I love my end bathroom/changing room in the caravan. Everything is to hand and there is a large wardrobe, drawers, cupboards, etc. Wouldn't change it for anything.
Quite agree, we had a Bailey Imperial with a end bathroom, as described by you, our biggest moan was the end clear glass window, which we had to have the blind down all the time for privacy, we have a fixed bed van now with the loo behind the shower , but we have bought a thick mat to cover the shower tray, thank goodness no window.

Royston

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Brum - my husband and I have been discussing the ups and downs of exchanging our lovely large washroom for a fixed bed with h tiny shower, wetting feet when using the loo and perhaps having to sit on edge of bed to brush teeth! I know that some of fixed beds do have shower unit next to kitchen but then the front seats are shorter and consequent loss of workplace in the kitchen. We would also loose dining area (opposite the kitchen) and probably the larger unit with drawers at the front of the caravan. This we weigh up against having to make bed up everynight.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Ann too. I do not enjoy communal toilets etc. and so I also love my end bathroom. The wardrobe, drawers and cupboards mean everything to do with showering, dressing etc. is all in one place and leaves the rest of the van for 'living'. Even having to make the beds is worth it after a lovely clean shower, used just by us.

Jan 4, 2007
Visit site
We are a family of 4 and we all use the vans bathroom facilities all the time. However we stay on CL's normally with no facilities, including no electric.

We have in the past had a tiny side bathroom, and it did not work.

To us the end big bathroom is best. However if you never use or never intend on using the vans facilities often then yes the space would be better used differently.

All down to how you use the van.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
For a change I must agree with cris, we have never had an end bathroom, nor would like one as the space it takes up is a waste in our opinion. We use site facilities and the shower in all 3 new caravans we have owned have only been used to wash the room out during and after a holiday.

For us a complete waste of money having one fitted and wish it could be an option.

Im sure for others its the best thing in the van, each to their own

Kevin H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a fire extinguisher on board. Chances are that we will never use it, so is it just taking up space? Even if the worse happens and it gets used, we can only expect a minutes use from it.

So why carry it?

Because you would be daft not to. Sometimes, necessities or luxuries need to be given space, even if the are infrequently used. I wouldn't put the separate shower in the same bracket as a fire extinguisher because a shower won't save your life or your van, but it will for a few moments each day, enhance your holiday. In my opinion, it's one of the ultimate luxuries you can have in a caravan, the larger the better.

My only advice for choosing one is that you fit comfortably within the shower, try the "Dropped soap" test.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
We have a fire extinguisher on board. Chances are that we will never use it, so is it just taking up space? Even if the worse happens and it gets used, we can only expect a minutes use from it.

So why carry it?

Because you would be daft not to. Sometimes, necessities or luxuries need to be given space, even if the are infrequently used. I wouldn't put the separate shower in the same bracket as a fire extinguisher because a shower won't save your life or your van, but it will for a few moments each day, enhance your holiday. In my opinion, it's one of the ultimate luxuries you can have in a caravan, the larger the better.

My only advice for choosing one is that you fit comfortably within the shower, try the "Dropped soap" test.
URGENT NOTE - The dropping the soap and trying to pick it up again test is not recommended in a communal shower

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with Chrissylizzie and Ann on this. We have a lovely large end bathroom, plenty of space, nice sink with storage under it, proper shower cubicle with decent shower. Big mirror for the daughter, large wardrobe.

We stop on showgrounds with limited facilities so tend to use all the caravan facilities to the max.

Our other van which was old, had a tiny bathroom where you have to step in the shower tray to use the loo. The shower curtain would stick to you if you attempted to use it. Nightmare!

It's all down to personal preference.

Lisa

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
So you've got third of the van taken up with your luxury 5* Hilton ablutions dept for use for a fraction of the time in the van and half with a fixed bed and kitchen as you huddle at one end but you you still use a bar of soap! How quaint, it must be your humble roots showing through.

I would have thought a liquid slightly scented body scrub and moisturiser gel that had not been tested on animals and from a pump dispenser made from recycled plastics would have been more in tone with the sanitary ware display show room on tow

behind you ;-)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So you've got third of the van taken up with your luxury 5* Hilton ablutions dept for use for a fraction of the time in the van and half with a fixed bed and kitchen as you huddle at one end but you you still use a bar of soap! How quaint, it must be your humble roots showing through.

I would have thought a liquid slightly scented body scrub and moisturiser gel that had not been tested on animals and from a pump dispenser made from recycled plastics would have been more in tone with the sanitary ware display show room on tow

behind you ;-)
?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site

behind you ;-)
For LOl Lisa;-) not you.

Mar 14, 2007
Visit site

behind you ;-)
the lay out is up to the individual needs

end bathroom with seperate shower is ideal for us because

our caravan is for work & leisure and rough camp in fields etc

so we use swarfega instead of soap when working and gucci shower

gel when going out in the evening

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are referring to me cris, then no, a third of my van isn't taken up by washroom. It was a Senator Wyoming with approx one fifth of the space used for the bathroom. Even so you can get a decent sized side washroom with separate shower which still doesn't take up a third of the van. Further more, if that's what you want, why shouldn't it take up a third of the available space?

OK, what's wrong with a bar of soap, can't wait for that explanation?

Or are you confusing me with someone else?

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
our carolina has a HUGH bathroom with a double shower, toilet, wardrobe, sink cupboards, mirror, shelves and a window. it takes up room but not much compared to the size of the van.

I swapped from a van with a side bathroom / shower and would have to have a bloody good reason to swap back. Its nice to have a seperate room to get changed and washed in. Our kids are getting older and it nice that they can take themselves off to get dressed etc without having to mess with curtains etc.

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
We swapped after a lot of heartache from an end bathroom moonstone to a fixed bed Indiana. I must say its much better and I would not go back to the end bathroom. That said I will point out that our kids no longer come with us so it is a luxury 2 berth to us. I'm not sure I would be saying the same if we still had the kids with us, with them the end bathroom was essential for daily scrubbing with plenty of space for supervision. So as usual personal preference and circumstances come into the decision.

Steve

Apr 19, 2007
Visit site
I would love to have a van with an end shower. Our van is old with a side bathroom together with the loo. Haven't used the shower yet.

I am disabled and because the bathroom is quite small, I think I would have difficulty using it although I can still have a strip wash (using soap). We have only used CL sites with no facilities so far. As this is our first caravan we didn't want to spend too much in case we didn't like caravaning (we do now)also there was nothing in our price range with end bathroom. When we have saved up we will definitely be getting a van with an end bathroom.

Apr 26, 2007
Visit site
I HATE with a near psychotic intensity 'pee in the shower' bathrooms, as I call them, OK you are not actually peeing in the shower, but even socks in your shower well, urgh or scrathcing it with your shoes, or even worse getting your socks wet from the well. Not my cup of tea and if it means having huge area taken up with a decent end bathroom then so be it, att least it isn't half your space taken up with a fixed bed and mostly unusable for the rest of the day.

One of the main reasons for buying the Bailey Champagne Series 5 was the end bathroom and the shower, bigger than my mothers in her en suite at home, the series six layout is an improvement and I await the Arizona Series 6 with interest, as will my bank manager come nearer the time.

Also maybe not something the well organised caravanner should admit too, but a largish bathroom does give a little bit of space to ... I am almost to shameful to say it allows a certain amount of 'putting things out of sight' in a purely none dumping fashion.

I know some feel it is a waste of space and maybe for those who use site facilities more can justify 'better utilisation of the space, but for someone who prefers their own shower then an end bathroom is a must IMHO.

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
We have a side washroom because we needed a end dinette for our light sleeping toddler. Really wanted an end sleeping area for him with sliding door, so we had to compromise on the bathroom facilites. I would love to have a big end bathroom, but you have to buy according to your main requirements. However, once my son is a bit older and can sleep in the side bunks with curtain, its an end bathroom for us definitely!

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
We recently changed our van to a Swift Charisma with an end bathroom after having had a van with a side bathroom for a few years. We are very pleased with the end bathroom and despite earlier comments, it doesn't take up too much room.

We have two growing youngsters (7 & 8) and it was getting difficult showering them in a side bathroom when away. The end bathroom actually gives us more space in the main part of the van and provides that little bit of extra comfort when getting ready in the morning.

There is no way we would go back to a side bathroom now.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
We have an end bathroom van and for me it is brilliant! After a day sweating in racing leathers and a full day at the race track it is some where private to clean and change. When we go away together and go walking or mountain biking we again have some where to change if the on site facilities are not up to spec.Most race tracks power is not a problem but washrooms are not possibly the best place to wash and change in comfort so I would never swap for a cramped small space when I have to struggle to get out of my race suit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts