Caravan battery box repair

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi,
My caravan previously had a DIY solar panel (the type that rests against the window) for charging the battery when in storage. This is no longer needed but there are holes in the battery box where the cables entered to the battery from under the bench seat.

My caravan was recently serviced and he said the battery compartment is not to standard due to the cable holes and they need to be filled in. Does anyone have any idea what to use to do this? Would basic bathroom sealant suffice To plug the holes?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
My caravan previously had a DIY solar panel (the type that rests against the window) for charging the battery when in storage. This is no longer needed but there are holes in the battery box where the cables entered to the battery from under the bench seat.

My caravan was recently serviced and he said the battery compartment is not to standard due to the cable holes and they need to be filled in. Does anyone have any idea what to use to do this? Would basic bathroom sealant suffice To plug the holes?
A grommet blank . in would give a good seal.1ED6CE3A-0D34-4455-8A2D-8500272D0BF0.jpeg

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Using a pair of scissors or a Stanley knife, cut yourself some patches from a disused white plastic container. Stick them over the holes with silicon sealant or super glue.

Reactions: AnastieByte
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's the repairs on my battery box repairs on the left are caravan and motor mover supplies. The two repairs to the right, the bigger one was a puncture hole/split, drilled to stop the split, repaired with a piece of plastic and Sikaflex 512 top right hand corner a similar repair, they are seen only rarely. I might add that they were coursed by a previous owner.

Attachments

• Batery Bow.jpg
    Batery Bow.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: AnastieByte
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think this looks perfectly ok, I can’t see why this would be objected to by a tech doing a service.

BP
The one in the picture wasn’t objected to it was the OPs battery box that has the uneven hole. The one above is DaveA1 repaired box offered as an example

Reactions: DaveA1
Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
The one in the picture wasn’t objected to it was the OPs battery box that has the uneven hole. The one above is DaveA1 repaired box offered as an example
Yeah that’s correct. Mine has two unsealed holes that the engineers said was a risk due to battery gases. Thanks to this forum an easy repair.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The reason the techie would have raised the issue , is first it's good practice to ensure that vapours from a battery cannot reach the living space, because that are highly inflammable usually consisting high levels of Hydrogen. But secondly If he hadn't noted it and something happened he might have been held culpable for not checking the safety of the battery.

Incidentally the battery box should be vented to outside to allow any vapours to escape.

Reactions: Raywood
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi otherclive what can you use this item for around a house ?
I’ve used it to support plinths in a kitchen to avoid putting nails into them. Then they would release easily. I used it to seal a water pipe from shed guttering into a large fruit juice barrel that I used as a water butt. Small pieces under a flower container lift it slightly off the ground. In the caravan the previous owner had badly cracked and broken a lower corner of the sink cupboard and tried a poor repair using instant glue. So I reinforced the back from underneath with white milliput and used it to smooth over the front area before sanding it back to profile. Touch wood I’ve not had to use it to effect a repair on a water system leak. But with Emergency Rescue tape and Fernox in the tool bag they would be my first choice.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I’ve used it to support plinths in a kitchen to avoid putting nails into them. Then they would release easily. I used it to seal a water pipe from shed guttering into a large fruit juice barrel that I used as a water butt. Small pieces under a flower container lift it slightly off the ground. In the caravan the previous owner had badly cracked and broken a lower corner of the sink cupboard and tried a poor repair using instant glue. So I reinforced the back from underneath with white milliput and used it to smooth over the front area before sanding it back to profile. Touch wood I’ve not had to use it to effect a repair on a water system leak. But with Emergency Rescue tape and Fernox in the tool bag they would be my first choice.
Sounds like a essential piece of kit worth having (y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The reason the techie would have raised the issue , is first it's good practice to ensure that vapours from a battery cannot reach the living space, because that are highly inflammable usually consisting high levels of Hydrogen. But secondly If he hadn't noted it and something happened he might have been held culpable for not checking the safety of the battery.

Incidentally the battery box should be vented to outside to allow any vapours to escape.

As per the above I have just checked our battery box and the AGM battery sits in a tray. Standard fit for this type of caravan. I could see no vent holes however there is an opening for the EHU cable. Wouldn't the gas from a battery rise rather than fall? I am not even sure if an AGM battery vents anything?

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My battery box has no vent holes as such, What it does have is the rubber seal that prevent water egress, into the box, only runs along two thirds of the box door. i.e. along the front, top and half the back edge, leaving the rest open to vent the box.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do remember that our old Trophy model did not have a battery box and it simply sat in the front bench compartment. I never thought about it at the time but now it does look as though it was seriously lacking although we never had any problem.
My niece who converted her own motor home to live in, did have the battery in the base of the wardrobe, and later told me she kept finding holes in her clothes. I assume that was fumes from the battery over a long period.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts