Caravan Battery

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
I have issues with my thetford fridge I have not run it on gas only on sites through the hook up as I do at home, I tried to run it on the battery but the spanner light came on and code 10 appeared which reads from my manual ( no engine running signal is present and control is in manual dc mode) do I need to switch something over to make it work on battery as if I was in the middle of a meadow where there were no electrics ( apart from using gas) what would I do, someone on here said the battery is not for that purpose of using the fridge well if that’s true WHATS the battery for?
Before someone says switch it to gas that is not what I need to hear as I’m aware it runs on gas

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Batman1957 said:
I have issues with my thetford fridge I have not run it on gas only on sites through the hook up as I do at home, I tried to run it on the battery but the spanner light came on and code 10 appeared which reads from my manual ( no engine running signal is present and control is in manual dc mode) do I need to switch something over to make it work on battery as if I was in the middle of a meadow where there were no electrics ( apart from using gas) what would I do, someone on here said the battery is not for that purpose of using the fridge well if that’s true WHATS the battery for?
Before someone says switch it to gas that is not what I need to hear as I’m aware it runs on gas

Battery 12 v powers the controls and may power the fridges gas igniter. It also powers lights, pumps and probably heating pump or fan depending on system fitted. But sorry if you are off grid it won’t power the fridge on its cooling cycles.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
AS above, the fridge uses 12v for controls, but will need either electric supply or gas to cool contents. The other 12v usage is from the car when the car is running - this to keep the fridge cool while towing to site. Many users cool the fridge on mains before leaving home with frozen ice packs to help keep cool on way to site.

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for reply’s I see what your saying , so it will work whilst towing it to site on battery when connected to my car , but that’s it for using it on battery in middle of nowhere so is the gas ok as I’ve not used it on that , obviously it must be or it wouldn’t be there thanks again

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Batman1957 said:
Thanks for reply’s I see what your saying , so it will work whilst towing it to site on battery when connected to my car , but that’s it for using it on battery in middle of nowhere so is the gas ok as I’ve not used it on that , obviously it must be or it wouldn’t be there thanks again

Gas and 240 v ac have been used on caravan fridges for years so no need to worry on that account. As students we even had a gas domestic fridge in our flat. If you are planning winter stays in a meadow then propane is best.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Batman,

The reason the fridge does not use battery power in a caravan is becasue it needs about 8 or 9 Amps of current to run the 12v element in the fridge. That amount of current would drain a caravan battery in a few hours. It would also drain a car battery very quickly, so its wired so it will only have access to 12V power when the engine of the tow vehicle is running. This prevents accidental draining of either car or caravan battery.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Batman,

The reason the fridge does not use battery power in a caravan is becasue it needs about 8 or 9 Amps of current to run the 12v element in the fridge. That amount of current would drain a caravan battery in a few hours. It would also drain a car battery very quickly, so its wired so it will only have access to 12V power when the engine of the tow vehicle is running. This prevents accidental draining of either car or caravan battery.

For the record, an under-counter fridge usually pulls about 120W so 10A, but the new tall fridges can pull 150-170W so say 13-15A. Even more need for it to only run on 12V when the engine (with an alternator capable of 45A or more) is providing the power.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Woodentop said:
For the record, an under-counter fridge usually pulls about 120W so 10A, but the new tall fridges can pull 150-170W so say 13-15A. Even more need for it to only run on 12V when the engine (with an alternator capable of 45A or more) is providing the power.

It depends on the model, some only take about 100W, but either way it's too much for extended running on a typical car or caravan battery :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts