Caravan braking issue

Apr 8, 2018
Visit site
Can anyone offer any advice on an issue I am having when braking? basically when I brake the caravan seems to keep going resulting in a loud bang and jolt. I had the caravan serviced a few months ago and the guy doing it said that the caravan brakes were in good order. This being the case I guess it must be a problem with the hitch. would very much appreciate any help. Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi FV,Generally there's a damper in the hitch assembly,if this is shot at you will get the symptoms you describe.Easy to check,if you are in good shape ;) put your knee against hitch and push back towards front of van,if you get next to no resistance then the damper is goosed,if it's very hard to push back I'd have a word with your service man.If not fit enough to push back with your knee,use a ratchet strap to draw hitch back.
Hope this helps,cheers.

Apr 8, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Brasso530, I went out and tried pushing hitch back and I managed to move it all the way back with a moderate amount of force, it definitely wasn't floppy. If the brakes are good I can't think what else it could be. Thanks for your help.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a problem I had years ago with my last van after a service, one of the springs had come off one of the wheels brake shoes, so no brakes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As brakes are so important to the safety of caravanning, don't waste time and get teh entire braking system checked by an approved dealer.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi FV,As the prof says,I'd get your service man back,explain your concerns and see what he finds.Did your van make the noise before servicing?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Sounds like the hitch damper to me also.

Jack the caravan wheel off the ground and put a couple of axle stands and test the brakes, try the handbrake first then push the drawbar back second, obviously don't push the caravan off the stands.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like your brakes are worn or faulty. I had the same and it was the friction material had detached from one of the brake shoes. Put the handbrake on and try and rotate the van by pulling on the hitch. If it turns easily the brakes are not working. This method also shows if one brake is working and the other isnt by watching which wheel rotates.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......no one can diagnose the fault on a forum.

What you describe is a definite fault that has safety implications.......only an inspection by an experienced technician can determine what that fault is.
As others have said you need to get it looked at.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Had same issue on my previous van, first time out from brand new had the same. It towed well and we noticed nothing until we hit the famous traffic on Bodmin. On the stop start stretch we noticed that every time we braked there would be a bump from the back. First thing I thought of was the hitch damper and did the same as the OP, tried pushing it in to see what resistance there was. In the end we got the van home without problems and checking it again on the drive, i found that although the damper seemed fine, I had a fair bit of vertical play on the drawbar. Basically, I could hold the hitch and waggle it up and down. I measured this with an engineers rule and although I cant remember the exact figure now but it was excessive (12mm seems to ring a bell). I didn't consider the unit safe to tow and thus called the dealership. Trying to explain led to a bit of an argument with the dealer, who suggested at first I was lying, then suggested I was unable to read the measure properly and it couldnt possibly record those figures. My comments to him are not fit to print here B) It was suggested on this forum that I call Al-Ko for an independent assessment, an engineer came out at the cost of £100 plus vat and instantly condemned the unit as a catastrophic failure of the drawbar. This was duly replaced under warranty.
I strongly suggest that if the OP feels the damper is fine to look for vertical play in the drawbar.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I had a Mondeo under braking the outfit developed thump. I checked the caravan hitch and wheels as best I could en route and they seem okay. So I rang recovery Mayday and the technician also checked it all and declared the van okay. So gently I drove home from Cumbria trying to avoid unnecessary braking. Further checks showed it to be the towbar cross member which was missing a tubular insert within a body section. So the fitter had torqued up the bolts but without the insert. Over the course of our two week holiday the body section had relaxed thus effectively de-torqueing the bolts. The towbar had been fitted at a Ford dealership but not by a towbar fitter but by one of the car techs.

Life lesson? Since then I have always used professional towbar fitting companies who are versed in the make of towbar to be fitted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts