Caravan braking question - can't seem to get a proper answer

Aug 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi there - you all seem to know your stuff - I have a caravan braking question which I can't seem to get a proper answer for on the internet. I am looking for a definitive answer on braked towing weight and what classifies as a braked trailer...
If I have a mechanical handbrake on the caravan or trailer and it's got a working breakaway cable attached - does this count as a braked trailer?
It's not got any fancy braking, which works with the towing vehicle or anything.
Can you please tell me if it's a Yes or No answer and what I'd have to do to get a braked caravan - would I need to have proper disc or drum brakes on the trailer or caravan axle, which apply when I press the brakes in my car?!
Thanks
Andy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No

A braked trailer must have brakes on its wheels. The handbrake is for when the trailer is stationary and the breakaway cable is a safety back up that activates the trailers brakes on its wheels. When your car brakes the trailers tow hitch compresses and activates the brakes on the trailer wheels.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In what context do you intend to use whatever it is ?
Is it a caravan, is it a trailer? some more info would be helpful.

Basically a trailer up to 750Kg does not need brakes but must have a secondary coupling (usually a chain) to keep the trailer attached to the tow vehicle.

Over 750 it must have a braking system, usually operated by the hitch coupling activating the axle brakes.
As has been said, the breakaway cable is only there to apply the trailer brakes should it become detached from the vehicle when being towed.
The handbrake is simply manual activation of the axle brakes via the handbrake lever.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Have you any pictures of this not sure if it a caravan or a trailer then you are bound to get a answer on here from someone .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there - you all seem to know your stuff - I have a caravan braking question which I can't seem to get a proper answer for on the internet. I am looking for a definitive answer on braked towing weight and what classifies as a braked trailer...]
If I have a mechanical handbrake on the caravan or trailer and it's got a working breakaway cable attached - does this count as a braked trailer?
It's not got any fancy braking, which works with the towing vehicle or anything.
Can you please tell me if it's a Yes or No answer and what I'd have to do to get a braked caravan - would I need to have proper disc or drum brakes on the trailer or caravan axle, which apply when I press the brakes in my car?!
Thanks
Andy
As Damian has explained any trailer with a MAM or MTPLM exceeding 750Kg must have road brakes. (UK and EU regulations)

Every UK caravan manufacturer knows the rules, and will have fitted brakes to every caravan that exceeds 750KG MAM. There are some very lightweight caravans that do have smaller MTPLM's than 750kg and they may not need road brakes, but may have parking brakes

What exactly do you have?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If the trailer has a mechanical handbrake then it must have brake drums on which the handbrake can act. If it doesn't have brake drums it can't have a handbrake. The same goes for the breakaway cable. I therefore don't quite understand the question.

Reactions: Johnb

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts