Caravan Club "Forbidding Supermarket Deliveries"

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have no strong views on the topic although presumably the CC will no longer allow F&C vans and local veg suppliers onto sites. What I would comment upon is Rob-Ts comments on the tragic death of a young child on a CC site. Whilst I believe the investigation did not find the driver to be speeding, the CC have installed lots of 5mph signs. and placed reminders that first gear is required. At recent visits to Crossways and Chirk I can only surmise that the majoriity of CC visitors don't know that 5mph equates to a fast walking pace. Motorhomes, solo cars and outfits were going by our pitch at very much more that 5mph; some I venture as high as 20mph calculated by a simple time-distance measure.. Bring out the speed cameras before we have to suffer speed ramps or narrow chicanes a la Dunkerque ferry port.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
I have no strong views on the topic although presumably the CC will no longer allow F&C vans and local veg suppliers onto sites. What I would comment upon is Rob-Ts comments on the tragic death of a young child on a CC site. Whilst I believe the investigation did not find the driver to be speeding, the CC have installed lots of 5mph signs. and placed reminders that first gear is required. At recent visits to Crossways and Chirk I can only surmise that the majoriity of CC visitors don't know that 5mph equates to a fast walking pace. Motorhomes, solo cars and outfits were going by our pitch at very much more that 5mph; some I venture as high as 20mph calculated by a simple time-distance measure.. Bring out the speed cameras before we have to suffer speed ramps or narrow chicanes a la Dunkerque ferry port.
This has always been a problem on CC sites - there's always been a 5mph limit but the vast majority ignore it, including wardens on their tractors!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
Lord Braykewynde said:
Once I see the reason given as H&S as an excuse to ban any non descript action I want to puke
smiley-yell.gif
Please ensure that you puke in the designated area please.
Puking on the caravans, awnings or pitches of fellow club members is strictly prohibited
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Yep because of H&S
smiley-yell.gif

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hiya all.What I would like to know is, why is the answer to any problem a blanket ban and not managing the problem? A caravan site by its very defintion is a place where there is regular movement of vehicles coming and going and manoeuvering about.Presumabley the site has to have its own supplies delivered and a procedure in place to deal with this.I feel that once again the many are being penalised for the few offenders.I am sooo tired of crisis management!!! Most people are sensible and will understand reasonable care is needed to ensure safety and security for all.I would be very interested to see the Risk Assessment that has lead to this decision by CC. As in all situations there are exceptions that are needed to deal with the wants and needs of folk who are disabled in some way.For goodness sake let commonsense prevail for once.Deal with the problem makers and leave the innocents alone.
Thursdays Child

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
People shouldn't be that lazy that they cannot time off in their holiday to collect their groceries. As mentioned I think people took advantage of this and left it up to the warden to sign for their groceries and then moaned at the warden if something was not right! If you allow supermarket drivers on, it opens flood gates.
Why not let people onto the site to collect your laundry, to walk your dog, to wash your car, chippy van or someone to repair your caravan or car. How can you allow one company and not others?
I agree with the caravan club's decision as for once they have made the right decision. Nothing stopping you collecting your delivery from the car park outside the reception. That way no one is distrubed by a vehilces running around the park.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Firstly, I disagree that people are being lazy, it makes excellent sense not to take all your groceries with you, it reduces the payload of the caravan.
They already let people on site to sell Fish & Chips and to repair cars/caravans. (And sometimes to sell newspapers and groceries from a van)
We will now collect our groceries from the van at the entrance to the site, but that does nothing to stop vehicle movements!
Perhaps you should consider other peoples situations, I am a wheelchair user and find supermarket shopping very difficult.
Jane

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Jane said:
Perhaps you should consider other peoples situations, I am a wheelchair user and find supermarket shopping very difficult.
Jane
I am in the same category as yourself, but we drive to the nearest supermarket to the site to colect our groceries. The wife has to do all the shopping as it is very difficult for me to walk around a store. I still agree with the club's decision.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Surfer, did no one tell you that calling people names like "lazy" really is bad manners. You may choose to go to the supermarket and your wife may choose to do all the shopping because of your disability but other people may wish to make other choices. This is up to them and does not mean it is OK for you to call them nasty names. I agree with TC; once again the CC has a "one size fits all" policy not backed up by sensible risk assessment or options to vary it within reasonable boundaries. The CC seem to have lost sight of the fact that their core purpose in running a caravan site is to provide us customers with a pleasant caravan holiday within sensible H&S procedures.. It is not for the convenience of the increasingly paternalistic CC organisation or the for the percieved benefit of the wardens.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thursdays Child said:
For goodness sake let commonsense prevail for once.
Thursdays Child

The people that do decide to speed, use a mobile or don't wear a seat belt amongst many other dangerous practices have all used their "common sense" and yet they have got very wrong. So forget using "common sense" as clearly it is unreliable as guide to safety and good practice, Try "good sense" instead.

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how long I can continue to be a member of the Caravan Club. Petty rules and inate snobery is making me extremely uncomfortable. Forget HSE... Supermarket vans don't 'look' Caravan Club..... Bet they'd allow Fortnams and Harrods deliveries! A lack of vitamin k is the problem here... Solution: Remove head from bottom to allow sunlight to be absorbed and normal life to resume...

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
In most site information leaflets the Caravan Club give details of supermarkets local to the site so the decision to not allow supermarket deliveries cannot be so that they will benefit by more sales in their own 'shops'.
What about the local economy ? Shouldn't we be doing our bit ? If we all used the local shops it would help boost the economy of the small towns and villages that we stay in or near. Yes, they might be a little more expensive but let's face it, we all take a certain amount of food with us in any case so the little extra that it may cost for some part of the weeks groceries is really quite insignificant. We don't stay in the local hotels or guest houses as we take our own accomodation towed behind us but we are more than willing to descend on the local residents with no benefit to them at all if we don't use their shops or other facilities.
JohnM

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
JohnM said:
In most site information leaflets the Caravan Club give details of supermarkets local to the site so the decision to not allow supermarket deliveries cannot be so that they will benefit by more sales in their own 'shops'.
What about the local economy ? Shouldn't we be doing our bit ? If we all used the local shops it would help boost the economy of the small towns and villages that we stay in or near. Yes, they might be a little more expensive but let's face it, we all take a certain amount of food with us in any case so the little extra that it may cost for some part of the weeks groceries is really quite insignificant. We don't stay in the local hotels or guest houses as we take our own accomodation towed behind us but we are more than willing to descend on the local residents with no benefit to them at all if we don't use their shops or other facilities.
JohnM
We caravanners don't actually help the local economy very much - most of the site fee income goes to head office to pay for overheads, most of the money spent on food goes to foreign growers or supermarket head offices and most of the money spent in local pubs/restaurants also goes out of the area - that's after you've taken all the fuel duty out that's incurred with any product.
Anyway, it's not for ordinary working/retired people to be altruistic about saving local communities - otherwise we wouldn't buy products made abroad or built here using foreign components, like cars and caravans!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If people who are too LAZY bone idle to get out and shop when on holiday on a CC site, they have the option of joining the C & CC or going onto a commercial site. Why is it people expect everything to be doen for them. Next they will be insisting on toilets that clean their rear ends for them!
We used to travel sometimes for miles to find a store as a supermarket was unheard of back in the sixties and even if there were supermarkets they were in the main cities. It was a day out for us and a bit of an adventure as you had no idea when you woudl come across a store. Frozen meals ect were out of the question as these stores never had refridgeration. A cold coke was a luxury! Meat was really fresh if you arrived early enough as it had been culled that morning. No chance of a take away as the pizza man would probably end up being a takeout for some animal!
Today we expect everything to be done for us and then moan if the service is curtailed or fails. People do not appreciate how lucky they are to have a supermarket on their doorstep never mind one that delivers.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
If people who are too LAZY bone idle to get out and shop when on holiday on a CC site, they have the option of joining the C & CC or going onto a commercial site.
Hey, don't drag us 'poor relations' into it! We in the C&CC never grumble
smiley-laughing.gif

Well, not much anyway
smiley-undecided.gif

It's not a question of being bone idle Surfer, not many blokes enjoy shopping like you obviously do and I shouldn't imagine that a supermarket shopping trip would be top of the 'enjoyable things to do on holiday' list for the lady wheelchair user or her husband who looks after her.
If a supermarket offers a service, which the customer pays for b.t.w., then why shouldn't those who want to do so be able to take advantage of it?
I can appreciate that times were hard back in South Africa but the West Midlands wasn't much better back in the day.
If a gentleman in the Black Country asked for pork scratchings in a pub he was given a pig and a cheese grater
smiley-frown.gif

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Parksy said:
Surfer said:
If people who are too LAZY bone idle to get out and shop when on holiday on a CC site, they have the option of joining the C & CC or going onto a commercial site.
smiley-laughing.gif

Well, not much anyway
smiley-undecided.gif

It's not a question of being bone idle Surfer, not many blokes enjoy shopping like you obviously do and I shouldn't imagine that a supermarket shopping trip would be top of the 'enjoyable things to do on holiday' list for the lady wheelchair user or her husband who looks after her.
If a supermarket offers a service, which the customer pays for b.t.w., then why shouldn't those who want to do so be able to take advantage of it?
I can appreciate that times were hard back in South Africa but the West Midlands wasn't much better back in the day.
If a gentleman in the Black Country asked for pork scratchings in a pub he was given a pig and a cheese grater
smiley-frown.gif
hillarious
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
Surfer said:
smiley-laughing.gif

Well, not much anyway
smiley-undecided.gif

This was definitely not in South Africa, but much further north.
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
TonyG said:
Parksy said:
smiley-frown.gif
hillarious
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif
Even though there were some rough and dirty old pubs never let it be said that we don't do multi tasking here in the Midlands............
The pig doubled up as an air freshener in the bar
smiley-money-mouth.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Surfer said:
Next they will be insisting on toilets that clean their rear ends for them!

Coincidentally the CC has just asked for ideas on improving site facilities. Did you propose that?
The Knights ( and Dames TC) of the Woosie Round Table are always interested in easier cleaned rear ends
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Well parksy, as i come from the posh end of Birmingham (Solihull) i have never experienced that, i supose you had to wipe your feet when you left the pub then

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
TonyG said:
Well parksy, as i come from the posh end of Birmingham (Solihull) i have never experienced that, i supose you had to wipe your feet when you left the pub then
Solihull, that's where sex was what the coal came in
smiley-smile.gif

My ex wife was never allowed to wipe her feet, the jackboots wore the rug out too quickly.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Lord Braykewynde said:
Surfer said:
Next they will be insisting on toilets that clean their rear ends for them!

Coincidentally the CC has just asked for ideas on improving site facilities. Did you propose that?
The Knights ( and Dames TC) of the Woosie Round Table are always interested in easier cleaned rear ends
smiley-laughing.gif
Now that would make me join the CC
1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts