Caravan Club Mayday Service

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are looking to get breakdown cover and wondered if anybody had used the caravan club mayday service and if so, what experience have they had.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Anything has to be better than the C & CC RAC Arrival. Green Flag was considerably cheaper when it came to renewing with the RAC. Also if Green Flag take longer than an hour to arrive at the location they give you a tenner as compensation whereas RAC shrug their shoulders and say sorry. Also there was talk that RAC may be outsouring their call centres to the Far East.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anything has to be better than the C & CC RAC Arrival. Green Flag was considerably cheaper when it came to renewing with the RAC. Also if Green Flag take longer than an hour to arrive at the location they give you a tenner as compensation whereas RAC shrug their shoulders and say sorry. Also there was talk that RAC may be outsouring their call centres to the Far East.
Ian anything has to be better than R A C arrival you say

I am with Arrival and its been great .Of course I haven't had to use them at all. Could you relate your bad experience please as it would be food for thought when renewal comes round.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Ian anything has to be better than R A C arrival you say

I am with Arrival and its been great .Of course I haven't had to use them at all. Could you relate your bad experience please as it would be food for thought when renewal comes round.
I had the top of the range cover in that if I broke down in any car they would "rescue" me. I have a third 1987 model car which spends a lot of its life garaged and one day decided to use it and it broke down a few miles from home. No problem so I thought. 3 x hours later someone arrived to fix the car and all it needed was abit of WD 40. However all was forgiven until my renewal arrived and there was no ways I was going to folk out over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have had RAC Arrival cover since it was introduced, and swear by it. On the two occasions when we have needed assistance with the caravan while on holiday in Europe, we have had excellent, prompt, service. In the UK,for car cover, we have sometimes had a rapid response, sometimes it has taken longer than we would have liked, but never as bad as the AA, who left my nineteen-year-old daughter stranded alone in December on the A1 for three hours before she gave up and limped home in a car that wasn't up to the job. Ten pounds compensation for slow response just sounds like a gimmick.

As for call centres being moved to India - well it may or may not happen. We have never found the staff at Walsall exactly clued up about the geography of the UK, but we have always managed to convince them eventually that the place where we happen to be really does exist. When we had a problem in Spain, the call centre was in Barcelona, in France we dealt with Lyon' and both were very efficient.

RAC Arrival is not cheap, but we have never resented the cost, simply because of the peace of mind it has given us. If we have had a year without a call out, the no claims bonus is an added benefit, but we do not expect to receive it if we have had a call out, however trivial the reason may have been.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A few years ago I was with RAC - called them out with a door lock problem, they came our in 15 mins & sorted the problem, however I changed van and they didn't cover vans over 6m ( at that time) so I Changed to CC Mayday. The year before last I broke down with my van on the way home from holidays on a saturday (my cluctch had gone) they took me home and then picked my car up on monday and took it to the main dealers. So as far I can say both gave good service, so go with the most cost effective - Hope this hepls - Alb

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Green Flag every time for us very please with them, Trevor
The problem i found with green flag is that they can not cater very well with caravaners who are disabled, plus the fact that with green flag you only get the first 30mins free, after that you are then invoiced from the garage that comes out to you , that i discovered in the small print, with the rac they will fix the problem if they can at road side even if it takes 1 1/2 hours and you don't get charged labour. And at the end of the day it was cheaper to join the c&cc, then join joint arrivals and responce (for disabled drivers) than have to worry about how much to get caravan recovered out of our own pocket. At the end of the day it is an insurance policy, and what suites one will not suit another, for you are buying "piece of mind" or thats what me and my wife have done, and you cannot put a price on that, well we can't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
contacted RAC about renewing our membership, to discover that they will not cover caravans of any length unless you are a member of the camping and caravanning club. Good thing I didn't need them since they changed the rules without telling us!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem i found with green flag is that they can not cater very well with caravaners who are disabled, plus the fact that with green flag you only get the first 30mins free, after that you are then invoiced from the garage that comes out to you , that i discovered in the small print, with the rac they will fix the problem if they can at road side even if it takes 1 1/2 hours and you don't get charged labour. And at the end of the day it was cheaper to join the c&cc, then join joint arrivals and responce (for disabled drivers) than have to worry about how much to get caravan recovered out of our own pocket. At the end of the day it is an insurance policy, and what suites one will not suit another, for you are buying "piece of mind" or thats what me and my wife have done, and you cannot put a price on that, well we can't.
What cover do you have?

We pay for the full monty - home start, recovery this that and the other. Also have my son's car on the same cover all for about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would not go abroad without the Red Pennant Insurance.

I have not reen required to use the service in any aspect but would not take the chance of going uncovered.

One year we travelled to the Dordogne (nr. Le Bugue ) and our next door neighbours were a elderly couple and on the second day of the holiday the husband returned to the van without his wife. we enquired what had happened and he said his wife had fallen down the steps and broken both of her wrists and detached retinas to her eyes. She had been taken to a hospital at Sarlat and detained there. He went to the hospital the next day and when he returned he said that the next day an Air Ambulance with a nurse and driver on board so that his wife and himself could be flown home and the driver was to pack up his outfit and drive leisurely home towing the car and van.

I would not like to guess what all of the attention they got cost, particularly if the had not taken RED Pennant Cover.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would not go abroad without the Red Pennant Insurance.

I have not reen required to use the service in any aspect but would not take the chance of going uncovered.

One year we travelled to the Dordogne (nr. Le Bugue ) and our next door neighbours were a elderly couple and on the second day of the holiday the husband returned to the van without his wife. we enquired what had happened and he said his wife had fallen down the steps and broken both of her wrists and detached retinas to her eyes. She had been taken to a hospital at Sarlat and detained there. He went to the hospital the next day and when he returned he said that the next day an Air Ambulance with a nurse and driver on board so that his wife and himself could be flown home and the driver was to pack up his outfit and drive leisurely home towing the car and van.

I would not like to guess what all of the attention they got cost, particularly if the had not taken RED Pennant Cover.
When the RAC move their call centre to India (if they haven't already), it wll be interesting to see if they manage to find you down some leafy lane near Piddle-cum- Hardy!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts