Caravan Club Shambles

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Have just returned from a week at Black Knowl.

Is it me or does the Caravan Club get worse? They have a rule of not arriving before 12.00pm.Arriving at 11.15am I parked some distance away and requested permission to enter early.This was politely refused,so fair does I settled down to wait.At 11.30am a flotilla of three caravans sailed past the three caravans parked in the nearest car park and were waved straight in.At this the first person in our queue set off and was also waved in.The rest of us said sod it and arrived early and were duly allowed in.They either have a rule and enforce it equally,or they allow everyone in regardless.As it was a bunch of polite people ended up angry.

Their error was compounded by their unique interpretation of the pitch selection rules.Normally caravans are booked in and waved off to find a pitch.At black knowl they parked them up three at a time and sent you off to first find a pitch on foot.

The three parked caravans blocked access to the site,leaving new arrivals blocking the narrow lane outside.In our case two of us found a pitch quickly and ended up waiting for the first guy to finish his leisurely 10 minute amble around the site and come back with his choice.How much simpler to have the caravans on site looking for a pitch and not blocking the entrance.

Finally their website said the site was booked all week,however there were plenty of grass pitches in good condition available all week.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Although I have been a member of the Caravan Club for 4 years I have never stayed on a CC site. I use CL's where you arrive and set up in a relaxed atmosphere more or less where you like. I have visited CC sites and had a look round but with all the outfits in neat little lines with the awnings facing the same way and cars parked in a row remind me of a housing estate. I want to get away from that when I'm on site. With all the petty rules I read about on this forum and elsewhere it all seems very formal.

I'll stick to my farmer's field and get back to nature and relaxation thank you.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I agree with Chrisbee, we too have never stayed on a CC site.

We find the CLs so much cheaper and only use the pitch as a base.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
There are lots of CC rules but I can`t say I find them petty.

There is lots of feedback on sites such as this with people being unhappy about certain aspects such as not being able to let their offspring use others caravans as goals, and not being able to let their dogs crap against other peoples awnings etc.

I can sympathise with Stephen when he has arrived early and politely waited only to see the `ignorant contingent` (quite large nowadays and seemingly getting larger) sail past.

However inconvenient, it can seem sensible to have to park up and walk to find a pitch depending on the site (don`t know the layout of Black Knowle) rather than having six outfits jockeying for position when there could well be small children playing (non-ball) games, although it probably wouldn`t work as well at somewhere like Incleborough Fields. Might not be ideal, but its preferable to being told where you are pitching as on some commercial sites.

If anyone really feels so strongly about about the way the CC is operated, they should either complain to head office, vote with their feet , or both.

With very few exceptions, I think the wardens do a great job, usually with a smile on their faces, despite having to deal with a wide cross-section of the public. They have a damn site more patience and tolerence than I would have.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
There are lots of CC rules but I can`t say I find them petty.

There is lots of feedback on sites such as this with people being unhappy about certain aspects such as not being able to let their offspring use others caravans as goals, and not being able to let their dogs crap against other peoples awnings etc.

I can sympathise with Stephen when he has arrived early and politely waited only to see the `ignorant contingent` (quite large nowadays and seemingly getting larger) sail past.

However inconvenient, it can seem sensible to have to park up and walk to find a pitch depending on the site (don`t know the layout of Black Knowle) rather than having six outfits jockeying for position when there could well be small children playing (non-ball) games, although it probably wouldn`t work as well at somewhere like Incleborough Fields. Might not be ideal, but its preferable to being told where you are pitching as on some commercial sites.

If anyone really feels so strongly about about the way the CC is operated, they should either complain to head office, vote with their feet , or both.

With very few exceptions, I think the wardens do a great job, usually with a smile on their faces, despite having to deal with a wide cross-section of the public. They have a damn site more patience and tolerence than I would have.
By never staying on a CC site am I not voting with my feet?

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
By never staying on a CC site am I not voting with my feet?
Not really, if you`re giving them the 30-odd quid year to be a `member`.

The `success` of the club is usually attributed to the size of its membership. As long as that continues to grow they will (rightly) assume that their policies are supported and correct.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen

I think you were unlucky. I've used CC sites for years and on most ocassions have been told which pitches are free, drive in and choose the pitch, set up and then tell the warden where I am.

The CC website is very compehensive now and I always review all the photographs and site layout paying particular regard to position because of the sat dish.

Yes , there will always be queue jumpers. Maybe there is some mileage for early arrivals to utilise the "late arrivals" bays in the morning from say 11.00am to 12.00pm.

Also the hard working wardens are usually cleaning the toilet blocks between 11 & 12 hence from a logistics point of view an early arrival isn't ideal for them.

Alan

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Not really, if you`re giving them the 30-odd quid year to be a `member`.

The `success` of the club is usually attributed to the size of its membership. As long as that continues to grow they will (rightly) assume that their policies are supported and correct.
I agree to a point Angus ,however, to use the CL's I have to belong to the club. I also use Red Pennant for my trips abroad and recieve the magazine so I do get some benifit of belonging to the club.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan.

I`m with you on this one.

I have been using CC sites for quite a number of years and have no trouble booking in.

As you said most sites tell you to find a pitch and then let them know the pitch number.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not arriving before 12.00pm isn't a general CC rule, it's only applied at certain sites where operational reasons make it necessary, eg avoiding incoming and outgoing caravanners meeting on very narrow roads. I can understand Stephen's frustration at ignorant (all specific site rules are shown in the Sites Guide), inconsiderate members jumping the queue. The warden should really have sent all six caravans back out and told to wait.

We prefer to park in late arrivals, book in and then walk round looking for a pitch - much easier to assess the sun's angle and pitch manoeuvring.

In reality we only use Super Seven sites, prefering CLs most of the time.

Feb 19, 2006
Visit site
Not arriving before 12.00pm isn't a general CC rule, it's only applied at certain sites where operational reasons make it necessary, eg avoiding incoming and outgoing caravanners meeting on very narrow roads. I can understand Stephen's frustration at ignorant (all specific site rules are shown in the Sites Guide), inconsiderate members jumping the queue. The warden should really have sent all six caravans back out and told to wait.

We prefer to park in late arrivals, book in and then walk round looking for a pitch - much easier to assess the sun's angle and pitch manoeuvring.

Hi Roger

You mention super seven sites, are they like cl's and where do you find them?

Thanks Simon

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site

hi simon b

c c sites directory supplement page 11

hope this helps

george.

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
We went to Black Knowl last summer and arrived early and parked at the car park at the top of the lane. Rang wardens and they said do not arrive before twelve.(After a seven hour journey we couldn't time it exactly) Waited patiently with four other caravans which arrived after us. At 11.30 am two carvans sailed down the lane so we followed. They were immediately booked in but of course by then six caravans were blocking the entrance and nobody could get in or out.Yes it was a shambles. By now the wardens know this happens and whilst you are waiting at the top you feel like mugs when other caravans who can clearly see you go sailing past early.I think it is about time the wardens arrange for one of them to go up the lane and organise some sort of fair system between 11 and 12.

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Yep caravan club is a joke, they dont like children on their sites even though they say they accept them, what they forget to tell u is they really dont have good play areas because they dont like children plus your children should be kept on chains. Not bad for a club that charges u money for membership, we do not go to any of their sites now and have not renewed membership and we are not the only ones noticed this, their sites are more for retired people.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The answer is simple for those who arrive too early, and it's within the wardens hands. Make them turn around and go back, I saw it happen at Chatsworth. They will soon learn if they are refused admission.

We've had people post in this forum where they say they travel overnight to get to the site early.

If people see they are going to arrive too early park up somewhere and ring the site and ask if it's o.k. It's common courtesy but unfortunately some are just plain selfish.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Joe, any tips on how to polish scratches out of acrylic windows or poaching salmon ?

( apologies, forum friends, I recognise Joe's post from another forum. )

Are you Proteus in disguise ?

May 2, 2007
Visit site
I have been a CC and C&CC member for more than 25 years and have only only stayed on a few club sites I find the best holidays are those spent on CL's and CCS. Why pay for all those facilities when they are available on board, usually quiet surroundings, very rarely have I had to leave before 12pm on the last day and arrival time is usually arranged beforehand. Give me the 5 van sites anyday. however I am not going to share my favourites, if everybody goes to them What will I do.

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
On the last two sites I stayed on they had a perfect play area for the children, - it was called the "Toilet Block", at least that was where most of the kids played and rode their bikes round with gay abandon.

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
I made a booking with one cc site and asked would it be ok if we arrived slightly early - no was the reply as we (the wardens) have to check the pitches when one outfit leaves, for dog poo and rubbish etc. fair enough but during my stay at the site i never once saw any of the wardens check the vacant pitches!

yvonne

TRENDING THREADS