Caravan construction and reliability - Adria?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Our current caravan (2022 Sprite Major EB) is now a year old and for some reason we just haven't "gelled" with it. It has a delamination issue with a side wall which has taken the shine off things (dealer in discussions with Swift) but it's just one of those caravans that hasn't really lit our fire. The previous caravan was great (2018 Sprite Quattro EB) and in hindsight I wish we'd kept it, but we wanted to downsize slightly and go back to a single axle.

We are talking about taking a financial hit and changing, one of the layouts we like is by Adria, but I know nothing about these, are they still traditional timber construction? As an engineer, having had timber-free caravans for the last 9 years going back to timber feels like a backward step but I have no experience of Adria.

Anyone know how they fare quality wise?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t know about if they are timber construction but on various annual surveys they are consistently at or near the top for new and pre owned with Coachman.. I always fancied one but could never square the circle of car or caravan weights, but when we viewed them at dealerships I liked the quality if the fit. Plus looking at the outsides they seemed more akin to German style of bodywork, particularly as the rear did not have large flimsy ABS panels, more akin to Knaus than UK vans.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Adria are reasonably priced and well built, but the catch comes with the extras which are normally standard in a British built caravan. The extras can push up the price to a lot more than the equiavalent British caravan so check first.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Adria are reasonably priced and well built, but the catch comes with the extras which are normally standard in a British built caravan. The extras can push up the price to a lot more than the equiavalent British caravan so check first.
Yes, noticed that as well, fortunately we currently have a Sprite so not exactly OTT on luxuries!

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Just been reading the specs at lunchtime and all was good until I noticed they use vacuum formed ABS front and rear panels. Having seen so many issues of these cracking (on other makes) it's one area where I vowed never to stray into.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just been reading the specs at lunchtime and all was good until I noticed they use vacuum formed ABS front and rear panels. Having seen so many issues of these cracking (on other makes) it's one area where I vowed never to stray into.
Have a look at their rear profile as the ones I saw on a site in 2021 didn’t have a full height rear panel as the roof panel came down over the back of the van, and there was then a horizontal seam across the rear at about 6-7 ft from the ground. Plus their abs might be thicker. Just a thought.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Have a look at their rear profile as the ones I saw on a site in 2021 didn’t have a full height rear panel as the roof panel came down over the back of the van, and there was then a horizontal seam across the rear at about 6-7 ft from the ground. Plus their abs might be thicker. Just a thought.
Thanks, we're going to try and get over to Kimberley Caravans at Nottingham in the next few weeks for a look around, if they have the Altea models in stock.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As Otherclive says they are consistently either first or second with Coachman in the magazines annual customer survey, which suggests they are a better buy than most others. They do seem to be kitted out to a lower level than the Sprite tough with things like the electric ring missing off the hob, they are a bit different to the average UK model and tend to be very heavy so you may need a bigger tow car. It has to be said though that the weight issue might indicate better construction as Coachman models also tend to be heavier.
From forums you get the impression that their parts service is no better than the rest but I have no experience of this. Possibly worth looking up their website to see what the construction is, it is not a wooden frame and you do not see complaints about problems with the panels, so may be these are just better made.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The Sprite is also only a 3 gas hob, the only niggling omission over what we have is the centre chest of drawers in the lounge. Weights are no problem for my car so no worries there. We looked at them at the NEC in February and were quite impressed but back then weren't looking to change.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Sprite is also only a 3 gas hob, the only niggling omission over what we have is the centre chest of drawers in the lounge. Weights are no problem for my car so no worries there. We looked at them at the NEC in February and were quite impressed but back then weren't looking to change.
Your main issues would be from whom you buy and who is prepared to take on any warranty work if the dealer is a long way away. Good luck with your quest.

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
We have an Adria Adora Seine. Two fixed single beds, the front seats convert to a double and one childs fold down bunk. We got it new about 3 months ago and have done 3 trips. No issues so far. Love the bathroom and modern interior. Alde underfloor heating and Bluetooth speakers. Big front roof window. Lots of storage.

This is our first caravan, traded in an Adria motorhome as we need a car due to mobility issues. The motorhome was 7 years old and only had one issue with the water pump. So I have found both well built.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Your main issues would be from whom you buy and who is prepared to take on any warranty work if the dealer is a long way away. Good luck with your quest.
Fortunately there's one in Nottingham and one in the West Midlands so not too bad as we're in between them.

TRENDING THREADS