Caravan Conversion Questions

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Hello folks, I come in peace and harmony :)

I wanted to buy a big box trailer for work but what I wanted was either too expensive or stupidly expensive! I saw a caravan base on ebay (think post Topgear stunt) that clearly had a galv chassis which was dirt cheap so I bought it. I'm quite capable at DIY, have replaced all the deck and built a frame over the top that's awaiting ply cladding. Now the questions are associated with the capacity of the trailer, its max weight and towing etc.

The chassis is Alko from an unknown caravan but it's 7m long ish so I'm thinking big 5 berth. It's single axle. There's no model nor info on the chassis that I can see. The hitch is stamped with 750kg wheras the brake section is stamped with 1000kg. I've been through Alko's literature and been unable to come up with the weight of the chassis nor the spec. So to me, the current limit is 750kg as that's the hitch's limit. So, question 1, can I replace the hitch with a higher rated one and move up to the brake section's 1000kg limit? And 2, if I replace both, what's the max limit on a single axle trailer?

I passed my test at the dawn of time and have a heavy tow vehicle so they are not concerns plus I've towed all over Europe so no worries there.

Many thanks guys and girls :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its difficult to offer any well founded advice, becasue we can't tell from your description what version of the ALKO chassis systems you have, and therefore its impossible for us to know its load limits.

Normally the axle beam or swinging arms will have a max load stamped on them, and in the absence of any other information the axle load would be taken to be the trailers maximum towed weight. However, when a trailer manufacturer (like a caravan manufacturer) they will select an axle specification that is the same or greater than the trailers designed maximum weight, so its possible for the axle to have a load capacity that is up to 100kg more than the body structure of the trailer, and that situation would normally be indicated by the trailer manufacture setting an MTPLM figure that is less than the axle's stated capacity.

Sorry I cant be of more help

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Hypothetically then, if I hunt over the axle and see it's rated at 2000kg and I can trace the van to having a 2000kg max weight, is it possible that the hitch and brake unit have been replaced at some point for cheaper ones and can be replaced with 2000kg units? Purely hypothetical obviously. Thanks :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Abersoch_man said:
Hypothetically then, if I hunt over the axle and see it's rated at 2000kg and I can trace the van to having a 2000kg max weight, is it possible that the hitch and brake unit have been replaced at some point for cheaper ones and can be replaced with 2000kg units? Purely hypothetical obviously. Thanks :)

Hyperthetically that is possible, but why would anyone change them. Its very rare for a hitch to wear out.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Abersoch_man said:

Hyperthetically that is possible, but why would anyone change them. Its very rare for a hitch to wear out.

Yes strange for the hitch to be so low rated, ie for an unbraked tralier. Then have a high axle load. . Double check everything. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts