Caravan covers

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone got anything to say (for or against) caravan covers, are they a good or bad thing, which are best and how much do they cost?

I'm thinking about getting one for my new van but don't know if it'll be worth it. Mostly I go away in the winter and the van is kept outdoors on a storage site when not in use.

Any feedback will be most welcome.

Sian

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I have used a Specalized Cover the last two winters,the caravan comes out perfect every time and I would certainly recomend one.

Just make sure the van is clean when it goes under, follow the instructions re protection of sharp corners and make sure the cover is secured properly.

Mine cost about

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stan, check with the van maker whether they approve of a cover, some do not, and any damage will NOT be covered by the warranty.

Once again, you only get what you pay for, so if you decide to get one, get the best you can, some of the cheaper versions do not fit as well, and may cause chafing on the van in winds.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My advice is go for the fleece lined ones and I agree check the warranty! I guess it depends also if you are using the van through the winter as they advice covering windows etc to protect thim and this is a lot of hassle if you are still using the van. They had them at a good discount price at the Birmingham show and we will be going to the Earls Court Show at the end of the year with the intention of getting one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I considered buying a cover for my new Swift Challenger 470 and contacted Swift for their comments on warranty. In principle, their reply was neither for nor against but I got the distinct impression that any problem, even remotely connected with caravan covers, would invalidate the warranty. Needless to say I have not yet parted with my money and prefer to wash the van down more often - it's cheaper too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sian, Last Spring I bought a two year old Sterling and it came with a cover which was bought by the previous owner. The supplier of my van would not comment on using it and I left it off over the first winter of owning it. Having now had the hassle of cleaning the caravan, trying to remove stains and bird droppings, hard resin etc I have decided that next winter I will give it a go. The main responses on the forum are that they are OK to use and will not cause damage, so I'm hoping that all will be well. Tony.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've got a Super Accessories cover for a Pastiche 520/4 and it is a super fit. you can use the van with the cover on, as the door flap matches the door well, and it is even possible to leave the windows on the "night vent" position.

It is not the easiest of things to put on particularly in anything above a light breeze.

Our technique is to put it on from the front (more sloping) using two long handled soft brooms up into the back top corners and gently walk it backwards over the top. Needs two people of reasonable agility. Make sure the velcro round the door opening is undone and that the straps are unbuckled and laid out so that they dont catch under the van during this process.

A good waxinging of the van helps.

The cover comes off much more easily than it goes on and is worth fitting, I think, for anything more than about 2 months of non-touring.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
I have a Pro Tec cover and this is very effective at keepung the van clean and free from black runs, algae and dirt. Its worth putting some time into covering the windows with some other soft fabric first as a precaution. As others have said, fitting is not the easiest job. Removal is easy, but you have a heck of a lot of fabric to stuff in the boot! I am always concerned with the risk of carrying grit onto the van as its virtually impossible to avoid getting the cover on the ground at some point.

The Pro tec people are very helpful, friendly and co operate to solve minor issues. They also make front only covers to keep the bugs off when travelling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts