Caravan covers

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I am purchasing a Bailey Unicorn Valencia and would like to have a caravan cover to be used mainly for winter storage. There appear to be many covers available from the cheap & cheerful through to the quite expensive. I'd appreciate any recommendations that folk might wish to make as to the best cover for my new caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Over many years of caravan ownership I've only had a cover for one, the cover was very well pit together, but quite difficult to fit, particularly in anything other than calm conditions.
All the projects on the caravan, ends of roof sealing trips,etc had to be padded before fitting and the Staus antenna either romoved or specified such that it could be included in the cover.
The next problem was the windows. However good the fit the cover will move slightly in anything above moderate wind and can abrade the relatively soft ( compared to glass) plastic windows, particularly at the front.
The problem gets worse with use as inevitably dust etc will get into the cover during the process of fitting and removing.
With all this and incrasing age with decreasing mobility the cover went with the caravan when sold, and I have never bought another,
You could consider a cover for the roof only, but this has the same fitting problem for the antenna and unless bungeeded down very securely will catch the wind too.
I would suggest using a good overwintering liquid which will protect from bird droppings etc, is much easier and cheaper. Unless you sell a cover with the van you may find it does not have much after market value.
This will probably provoke happy cover owners to disagree, but at least you may get more opinions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RayS said:
Over many years of caravan ownership I've only had a cover for one, the cover was very well pit together, but quite difficult to fit, particularly in anything other than calm conditions.
All the projects on the caravan, ends of roof sealing trips,etc had to be padded before fitting and the Staus antenna either romoved or specified such that it could be included in the cover.
The next problem was the windows. However good the fit the cover will move slightly in anything above moderate wind and can abrade the relatively soft ( compared to glass) plastic windows, particularly at the front.
The problem gets worse with use as inevitably dust etc will get into the cover during the process of fitting and removing.
With all this and incrasing age with decreasing mobility the cover went with the caravan when sold, and I have never bought another,
You could consider a cover for the roof only, but this has the same fitting problem for the antenna and unless bungeeded down very securely will catch the wind too.
I would suggest using a good overwintering liquid which will protect from bird droppings etc, is much easier and cheaper. Unless you sell a cover with the van you may find it does not have much after market value.
This will probably provoke happy cover owners to disagree, but at least you may get more opinions.

I'm with Ray on this one. A good wash with Fenwicks Cleaner in late Autumn, followed by use of Fenwicks Overwintering sees it through to Spring. Then washing with Fenwicks Cleaner will get rid of the muck quite easily. Of course it does look grubby during winter trips as the Overwintering will pick up road dirt, but what the heck the car is dirty too, so they match.

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I think the advice I've been given about not using a cover is very sound especially when my new Valencia has a roof mounted solar panel which means the caravan battery will be trickle charged when in storage over the winter months - depending of course on the amount of sunlight that there is.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Why store the caravan in the winter ? Use it all the year and experience the winter views
The only month we do not usually go away is November so going to all the trouble of putting a cover on almost every month is a no. I use a cover on the A frame to protect the eclectics but that is all.

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Good point - I actually do use my caravan all year round - less so in the winter months when it might stand for a couple of months at the most. So having to wash and clean the caravan in order to fit a cover when the weather may well be inclement has no great appeal. I think I'll go down the Fenwicks path.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
No cover here. Instead I thought a much better investment was a lightweight aluminium ladder that folds into a platform which enables me to easily clean the roof with a mop.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Fred460 said:
According to my Bailey dealer it is safe to walk on the roof of a Unicorn caravan!

I fully understand the concept of the Alu-Tech construction, and although the roof structure may be able to support your weight, I really wouldn’t advise walking on it at all. What about flexing around joints, roof lights, aerial etc. Why subject any areas of the structure to considerable force unless absolutely necessary ?

If that’s the general advice of the dealer, then I think I would be looking elsewhere. My concern would be that they’d think nothing of unnecessarily walking all over the roof even during the PDI, never mind servicing and repairs ...

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Id rather go to the shop and by an extension brush which fits on your hose pipe for £2o (which I have) rather than walking on your roof and falling through it !! Im like Lcaru , tall steps which i can reach the top and no problem to clean the whole roof.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
No cover here. Instead I thought a much better investment was a lightweight aluminium ladder that folds into a platform which enables me to easily clean the roof with a mop.
I have been thinking of one of those ladders. Do you have details please?

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I first saw them in The Range, but then also looked in B&Q and Screwfix. The prices at all 3 were similar for similar items but I did notice that the working height of the platform varies from model to model. In the end Iwent for the one from B&Q because it had the highest platform height.

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for all your comments I can't add much more to the comments except to say How many caravans do see on the road with the cover still in place ? And you still have to wash and store a cover . Cheers

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Just to give you an idea ...

285aj6.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Fred 160 Hi, I would ask the caravan dealer (not just the sales person) about warranties as this sort of advice in my humble opinion is not the best. Cheers jrs

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
When Baily launched the Alu Tech body they placed a car on the caravan roof and some of the staff stood beside the car to show how strong the body was

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I think we’ve already established that no-one is doubting the strength of the Alu-Tech body Mike, but just because heavily loading the roof didn’t result in catastrophic failure of the structure, doesn’t mean that damage or disturbance didn’t occur to vitally sealed and bonded areas, which whilst may not be immediately apparent, would perhaps be more likely to start displaying symptoms over time ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts