Caravan damage, is it insured? and do I claim?

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I would hope the insurers would cover it as pothole damage the same as a wheel or suspension being damaged.
Try to be positive with them,there is a member on here who might be able to assist you with your wording if your lucky.
Good luck with the claim

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Dave. Also forgot to add, once claimed, whether successful or not, is it likely premiums will rocket for next million years??

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I claimed a few years ago and premiums didnt change much,the only problem was that a couple of insurers wouldnt quote,NFU was one that I remember without 3 years claim free,C&CC seem good,I am with them for van and house contents and buildings so am interested to see how you get on

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
twindaddy said:
Thanks Dave. Also forgot to add, once claimed, whether successful or not, is it likely premiums will rocket for next million years??
We bought a brand new caravan which was written off in floods just 3 months later.
Fortunately we'd insure the caravan with the C&CC on a new for old basis which meant that the sum we paid for the caravan was insured and the C&CC club care insurance couldn't have been better.
They assessed the damage straight away, declared the caravan a total loss and were actually waiting for us to choose a replacement, we didn't have to wait for them.
Our premiums didn't go up apart from the differential for an upgrade replacement (the replacement caravan was bigger and more expensive) and they haven't really gone up since.
As long as your claim is valid the C&CC will always do the decent thing. :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Twindaddy
Sorry to hear your tale.
Telephone your Insurers asap and notify your intention to claim for the fortuitous accidental damage that has happened.

All being well they will send a loss adjuster to see you and discuss the damage. Have your map ready and show him / her where the damage probably occurred.
If can get Google Earth of the road all the better.
Obviously you were not speeding on this piece of road so as far as you are concerned it is accidental damage as described in the C&CC policy.
The damage sounds expensive.
Even if your premiums did rise by say 10% surely you are better off not paying for the repair .

Let us all know how you get on. Good luck.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you report the claim now the insurer will almost certainly send an engineer out to view it and report back on if it looks like accidental damage.
Not sure on the C&CC insurers policy but the CC one only deducted the No claims Bonus and took no further action when we claimed. Upping the premium is usually an underhand practice by some lesser insurers though so I would hope you are OK.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I was also insured by the C&CC .my van needed both sides reskined & 1 large window replaced I think the costs were In excess of £5k ,there were no increases in the next renewal at all, although we were confined to the C&CC for the next few years as other companies either refused to quote or came up with silly prices. How ever as C&CCs quotes for both the caravan & the later motorhome were in my mind the best value in any case

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
You say you've owned the caravan since the spring.
Was it a brand new van when you got it?
Vans are designed to take a certain amount of bumping along roads - many roads have speed humps (and pot holes) which put a certain amount of flexing stress on a van, however slowly and carefully you go over them.
If it was bought new in the spring, the caravan should be inspected by your dealer. There could be a possibility that the caravan has a fault and is covered under the warranty.
I can't imagine that you would have driven the caravan recklessly over a rough road.
Good Luck.

TRENDING THREADS